Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nicole_f
Fanfold Paper
Views: 17,955
Message 81 of 197

Re: Validity Fingerprint Reader Linux

If possible please also consider the VFSI6101 connected via SPI which is implemented in some of the Thinkpad tablets.

Cheers

nicole

bndr_32
Fanfold Paper
Views: 17,895
Message 82 of 197

Hi,

I would like to support this request as well, I have a Yoga 910 (138a:0094) running Ubuntu. If I had the time and knowledge then I would tackle this myself, but I do not.

Lenovo, I was a strict Dell user and I switched based on a recommendation and due to my own market rearch/testing. I *love* my computer and I am a very happy customer, but I would love my system even more if I had full linux support.

Thank you!

triple5
What's DOS?
Views: 17,792
Message 83 of 197

validity reader ID 138a:0097 needs to be supported on the T570

Lenovo makes great laptops, and, to be honest, I wouldn't trust very much in the fingerprint reader, a good passphrase is more secure, nice would be, to get it running anyway, because the thing is built in, so please sell your computers not without the possibility to run it with secure community supported and free and libre open source software such as debian/GNU or derivatives

Please, I say but it is you who should provide it, because otherwise we might not buy the next laptop from you.

nicole_f
Fanfold Paper
Views: 17,724
Message 84 of 197

This is exactly the point - I want it supported so users get the chance to decide whether to use (trust) it or not. Currently we do not even have the choice, it simply does not work.

Another reason for me is somewhat security related too. As long as there is a miscellanious device lurking in my machine for which I do not have documentation and no driver I can also not know what this device is capable of and what it might be doing or even compromise my system during runtime (e.g. like the discussions going on concerning Intel management engine (ME)).

Finally for embedded systems, like the Thinkpad Tablet 10 on which I am hacking, I want to get as much control over power consumers as possible. Devices without drivers can not be fully controlled concerning their activity and power consumption. Some devices are half-wake after a power on reset and can be put into lower power modes by software. Without information (driver / documentation) I can only assume it to be off/suspended.

Cheers

nicole

Lindhe
Fanfold Paper
Views: 17,578
Message 85 of 197

It would be so nice if Lenovo showed us that they really care about the Linux community, by pressuring Synaptics to release the drivers. If there was at least a binary blob, at least we would no longer be able to say that it does not work at all. Hardware support is usually the strongest side of ThinkPads, so I really hope Lenovo can deliver on that this time too.

Richard_linux
Punch Card
Views: 17,289
Message 86 of 197

@Lindhe wrote:

It would be so nice if Lenovo showed us that they really care about the Linux community, by pressuring Synaptics to release the drivers. If there was at least a binary blob, at least we would no longer be able to say that it does not work at all. Hardware support is usually the strongest side of ThinkPads, so I really hope Lenovo can deliver on that this time too.

Lenovo can but doesn't want.

cslaughter
What's DOS?
Views: 16,999
Message 87 of 197

I echo this. At least help get the community what is needed to get the hardware to work on linux. 

yesmathew
What's DOS?
Views: 16,500
Message 88 of 197

I recently purchased Yoga 260 and except fingerprint rest all works nicely on Ubuntu 16.04LTS. Any updates on linux driver for fingerprint -

"Bus 001 Device 004: ID 138a:0090 Validity Sensors, Inc."

1dean
What's DOS?
Views: 13,017
Message 89 of 197

Hi Lenovo,

We are trialing X1s (4th gen, but would likely get 5th gens) as a replacement for Macs for development laptops. Everything has worked out of the box for us except the fingerprint reader.

All things being equal we would go with another vendor if they had a working fingerprint reader in Linux and you did not.

TopHatCroat
What's DOS?
Views: 15,564
Message 90 of 197

Yes, I've got 138a:0097 in my TP T470. Linux community really should have these drivers

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors