Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

04-03-2009

Placerville, CA 95667

17 Signins

88 Page Views

• Views: 88
  • Message 1 of 6

WIN XP Inside Ubuntu Linux----How?

2009-04-10, 3:03 AM

I have what I believe are a complete set of product recovery disks two emergency disks and six recovery disks.

I have Ubuntu 8.1 with vmware installed on the main hdd.

Once I get a clue how to use vmware can I, and if so how can I run windows inside Linux.

Options

2827 Posts

02-23-2008

United States of America

10663 Signins

147393 Page Views

• Views: 147393
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: WIN XP Inside Ubuntu Linux----How?

2009-04-10, 4:22 AM

weatherguy,

you cannot use your product recovery cd's to install windows in vmware.Since the bios used for virtual machines are not recognized by the recovery media.If you still want to use ubuntu did you try out using the wubi installer?its a much safer and easier  one then hosting linux on a virtual machine

Options

8938 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77720 Signins

2224470 Page Views

• Views: 2224470
  • Message 3 of 6

2009-04-10, 14:52 PM

samavedam vijaysaradhi,

Have you - or anyone here - tried using VMWare Converter to make a VM client out of an existing XP Thinkpad installation?  The result might not boot on the virtual BIOS, and even if it did XP would probably see too many hardware changes and insist on re-activation.  That would probably fail with the OEM key.  Or not...

Just curious,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

8 Posts

04-03-2009

Placerville, CA 95667

17 Signins

88 Page Views

• Views: 88
  • Message 4 of 6

2009-04-10, 18:38 PM

I have erased Windohs a couple months ago.  So, that won't work.  What I think I need is either VMWare or VirtualBox.  But, and here's the rub, I downloaded the VMWare from the main Ubuntu Repository.  I  watched it install.  Now, I can't find it anywhere.

Tell me that's not weird!

Another hangup is Install instructions:  Does no one in the entire world understand that EVERY step, from start to finish, including the obvious ones and including even the, "OMG, I can't believe you didn't know that!" ones, must be included to even call it an Installation Instruction Set.

The reason a person goes looking for Install instructions is BECAUSE they don't know how to do it.  Assuming that they know some, even one, of the steps is more than lame. 

BTW, this post isn't just for you.  I'm on a crusade with this.  Every tutorial and every manual, all of the books that are being sold to us, everything that purports toreveal "How To" must be redone so that there are "No" steps left out.

Options

8938 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77720 Signins

2224470 Page Views

• Views: 2224470
  • Message 5 of 6

2009-04-10, 19:55 PM

Is it Player? Did you install the kernel headers and vmware (player???) from repository packages, or just the headers, and then the newest player bundle from VMWare?'

The bundle would have put it in applications -> system tools -> vmware player, as near as I can tell.  The package - who knows.  Did it run vmware-config.pl for you or just install it in /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl?  The package may have all the options and paths canned, or you may have to run it manually and set them.  I don't have Ubuntu on the bare iron at the moment or I would give it a try.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

227 Posts

09-12-2008

Atlanta, GA USA

504 Signins

4269 Page Views

• Views: 4269
  • Message 6 of 6

2009-04-28, 16:08 PM
Last time I tried, I learned Vmware's kind of a pain to install due to binary blobs and kernel modules. Virtualbox just works.  I've used it for multiple school projects for over a year reliably with only a handful of issues that were resolved on the community forums.  Also, Virtualbox can run VMWare images, and it's open source.
Message Edited by garytr23 on 04-28-2009 09:09 AM
Lenovo SL300 Owner
earning an MSECE at GATech, with undergrad in BME.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms