Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

06-24-2018

United States of America

10 Signins

105 Page Views

• Views: 105
  • Message 151 of 313

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 6 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

2018-06-27, 13:29 PM

Yes, as a community I think we should fight against it. Lenovo is just spending big bucks to have the latest features.

Companies like this kill innovation.

What's the point of speeding up the mountain if only to have to wait for the Sherpa to know what to do next?

Also, can we please keep Windows posts off this thread? Nothing against windows, I think this will just make it hard for other users to find the solution to their problem (which is here, embedded and linked to periodically)

Options

1 Posts

07-02-2018

Mauritius

3 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 152 of 313

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 6 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

2018-07-02, 9:42 AM

Dear Lenovo Developers!

i highly appreciate and admire the linux community contribution, but i dont want to take the risk of patching the acpi tables manually. For now, the only reliable option i've noted is to run into hibernate instead of suspend, but it totally defeats the purpose of an "ultra portable laptop" .

The question in everyone's mind is whether you guys plan on an update in the near future or we only have false hope for an official update/patch?

I dont understand why favor window's modern standby over the traditional S3 which has been working fine so far, the linux kernel is not so matured yet to handle the new si03 sleep state.

Hope you guys won't disappoint your linux fanbase :)

Options

1 Posts

07-02-2018

Finland

3 Signins

57 Page Views

• Views: 57
  • Message 153 of 313

2018-07-02, 16:11 PM

I suppose a BIOS option to switch Si03 to S3 would be well enough for any Linux user out there.

Options

2018-07-02, 16:29 PM

So after patching ACPI tables, I needed to install Win10 for work reasons and I wonder if I have a disadvantage now. Is the patch hardware-/system-wide? If yes, is there a way to unpatch the ACPI tables?

Options

11 Posts

04-24-2018

Finland

24 Signins

161 Page Views

• Views: 161
  • Message 155 of 313

2018-07-02, 16:40 PM

No, you don't have any disadvantage.

The patch is applied when the Linux system boots.

Options

21 Posts

03-29-2014

United States of America

46 Signins

601 Page Views

• Views: 601
  • Message 156 of 313

2018-07-02, 16:57 PM

wrote:

I'm really on the fence about whether to buy an X1 Gen 6. Costco has a great deal right now but I'm very conerned about all the issues that people are having with the touchpad and suspend-to-RAM with linux, which is the OS I would be installing (debian testing). I've read many threads but it's not clear to me how satisfactory the various workarounds are. Would a few people care to weigh in on this? Are these issues dealbreakers? I'm reluctant to support a company that doesn't seem to be responsive to the needs of the linux community.

After much thought I've decided to buy an HP elitebook 850 instead of the X1 Carbon. I just don't feel like doing a lot of work to get something as basic as hibernation to work with the X1. I don't know if any lenovo employees are watching this thread but Lenovo's failure to provide Linux support on this issue has resulted in a lost sale, and I'm sure there are many others like me. It's a shame. The X1 looks like a great laptop, probably better than the one I'm buying, except for the LInux problems. 

Options

2018-07-02, 21:37 PM

With all due respect, the joy and thrill of Linux is also to get it to run on ANY device, no matter how crappy the hardware vendor supports Linux. I remember installing Gentoo Linux on a 90ies era Powerbook, making it as fast if not faster than my Thinkpat T40p from back then. Screw the vendors, give me any hardware I install you the best System on earth, there is no stopping Linux. Propietery always looses.

Options

21 Posts

03-29-2014

United States of America

46 Signins

601 Page Views

• Views: 601
  • Message 158 of 313

2018-07-02, 22:04 PM

I used to enjoy the challenge of getting Linux to work on my devices, too. That was part of the fun of learning to use LInux. But some of that thrill has faded over the years. Now I like things to mostly just work. In this case Lenovo has taken a step backwards in terms of the way suspend works--they broke something that used to work. So fixing it in this case isn't so much a challenge as an annoyance.  I chose to go with HP because they actually sell computers without Windows pre-installed. I think that's a policy worth supporting. 

Options

424 Posts

03-03-2017

Japan

1434 Signins

12923 Page Views

• Views: 12923
  • Message 159 of 313

2018-07-02, 23:47 PM

Dear customers,

As I commented in this discussion thread earlier, ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th and X1 Yoga 3rd systems are designed to support Modern Standby, those doesn't support legacy s3 state. I'd like linux customers of those system will move to modern standby linux.

We are listening to your comments, however, our development team current forcus is to provide more stable, highest performance but lowest energy consumption,  silent and cooler systems. So far we don't have explicit plan to suppot legacy s3 on these systems.

Thank you for your understanding.

Options

11 Posts

03-03-2018

United States of America

47 Signins

598 Page Views

• Views: 598
  • Message 160 of 313

2018-07-03, 0:07 AM

@Rydeen That was a very tone-deaf response. We all know that the X1C6 supports modern standby and not S3. That's what this whole thread is about. There is no such thing as "modern standby linux". The power consumption of modern standby on Linux is unacceptably high.

Hopefully the Linux kernel folks can improve modern standby support in the future. In the meantime, people are frustrated because obviously the hardware supports S3 (since many of us have got it working by hacking the ACPI tables), but Lenovo doesn't care enough about Linux users to provide an official way to enable it.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms