Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

09-08-2018

United States of America

2 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 281 of 313

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 6 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

2018-09-11, 2:31 AM

Just expressing gratitude to Lenovo for resolving this issue for Linux users via the recent BIOS update.  THANK YOU!  I am now in love with this laptop.

Using Ubuntu 18.04... I did not experience the touchpad/trackpoint issues others are mentioning.

Options

15 Posts

09-12-2018

United States of America

31 Signins

201 Page Views

• Views: 201
  • Message 282 of 313

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 6 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

2018-09-12, 1:34 AM

This is really awesome news for the X1CG6 owners - any plans from the Lenovo team to also spread the love to the X1 Yoga G3 owners? :smileyhappy:

Options

4 Posts

07-11-2018

Australia

4 Signins

96 Page Views

• Views: 96
  • Message 283 of 313

2018-09-12, 3:04 AM

Excellent news!  Have just placed an order for an X1.

Options

15 Posts

03-05-2018

Australia

27 Signins

410 Page Views

• Views: 410
  • Message 284 of 313

2018-09-12, 6:38 AM

Woo! Just want to say thanks to the Lenovo Team for the bios update. No more re-appling the DSDT patch every kernel upgrade now :)

Options

2 Posts

09-12-2018

Norway

2 Signins

29 Page Views

• Views: 29
  • Message 285 of 313

2018-09-12, 11:07 AM

I´ve been on the edge of going away from lenovo, as I just got one of these laptops through work. The workflow is extremely important to me, and the annoying issue with the trackpad and pointer has been driving me crazy. Although the community managed to find a workaround, I must admit i was running out of patience.

A huge thanks to Lenovo for actually adressing this and letting us have the full potential of this computer with linux as well, hopefully they will preserve their good reputation among the linux community.

And also thank you guys for the good efforts in the meantime. Been reading here every now and then, and I finally just had to make this account to say thanks.

Options

2 Posts

03-01-2018

United States of America

6 Signins

111 Page Views

• Views: 111
  • Message 286 of 313

2018-09-13, 22:40 PM

Just updated to BIOS 1.30, S3 sleep is working nicely without `acpi_override`!

Options

1 Posts

09-15-2018

Switzerland

2 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 287 of 313

2018-09-15, 15:50 PM

Really happy to see that the issue about S3 state has been addressed in the uefi 1.3 update.  Thank You, Lenovo! 

Please excuse, if this issue has been adressed before, but the readme of the 1.3 update says the following: 

"UEFI: 1.30 / ECP: 1.08 - (New) Support Optimized Sleep State for Linux in ThinkPad Setup - Config - Power. (Note) "Linux" option is optimized for Linux OS, Windows user must select "Windows 10" option."

What am I supposed to do with my Windows 10 / Arch Linux Dual boot system? I need both OS on this laptop. 

If I switch to the Linux option, how will Windows 10 handle sleep mode then? I suppose that Windows 10 can automatically adapt to S3, but the explicit "must" in the above quote makes me insecure, as it somehow implies that switching to the Linux option may have other unwanted effects on the Windows system. 

Thank You for your help. 

Options

9 Posts

08-18-2018

Russian Federation

15 Signins

110 Page Views

• Views: 110
  • Message 288 of 313

2018-09-15, 16:13 PM

wrote:

Really happy to see that the issue about S3 state has been addressed in the uefi 1.3 update.  Thank You, Lenovo! 

Please excuse, if this issue has been adressed before, but the readme of the 1.3 update says the following: 

"UEFI: 1.30 / ECP: 1.08 - (New) Support Optimized Sleep State for Linux in ThinkPad Setup - Config - Power. (Note) "Linux" option is optimized for Linux OS, Windows user must select "Windows 10" option."

What am I supposed to do with my Windows 10 / Arch Linux Dual boot system? I need both OS on this laptop. 

If I switch to the Linux option, how will Windows 10 handle sleep mode then? I suppose that Windows 10 can automatically adapt to S3, but the explicit "must" in the above quote makes me insecure, as it somehow implies that switching to the Linux option may have other unwanted effects on the Windows system. 

Thank You for your help. 

I kind of doubt devs really track this topic, so you might have better luck asking the question separately. Also, probably, in Windows branch of the forum, because this series of OSes has official support from Lenovo.

You might leave a link to the question here too, I think peoples would be curious about the answer. I sure will.

Options

1 Posts

09-16-2018

Switzerland

5 Signins

61 Page Views

• Views: 61
  • Message 289 of 313

2018-09-16, 18:26 PM

I have updated BIOS to 1.30 and works like a charm :) 2% of battery loss in 12 hours, and no more heating issues. 

However, I could not update BIOS using a USB stick, but I found an alternative solution that may be helpful to other people. 

Originally, I tried to follow these instructions to create the iso image and boot from USB

https://workaround.org/article/updating-the-bios-on-lenovo-laptops-from-linux-using-a-usb-flash-stick/

But I could not make my laptop to boot from the USB despite many workarounds. 

I read then at the archilinux webpage (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lenovo_ThinkPad_X1_Carbon_(Gen_6) ) the following info: 

"In August of 2018 Lenovo has joined the Linux Vendor Firmware Service(LVFS) project, which enables firmware updates from within the OS. BIOS updates (and possibly other firmware such as the Thunderbolt controller) can be queried for and installed through fwupd."

I thus folowed the instructions in fwupd webpage

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fwupd

And it worked surprinsigly well. My BIOS got updated automatically and then I could select the LInux option at the security section. 

These are the 4 commands that one needs to run according to fwupd page:

$ fwupdmgr get-devices
Note: Some returned devices might not be updatable through fwupd, e.g. Intel integrated graphics.

To refresh metadata on available updates:

$ fwupdmgr refresh

To check which devices have updates:

$ fwupdmgr get-updates

To install updates:

$ fwupdmgr update

And that was it,

Hope it helps

ps. thanks everyone for the contributions, I could not have made it otherwise.  

Options

4 Posts

07-11-2018

Australia

4 Signins

96 Page Views

• Views: 96
  • Message 290 of 313

2018-09-16, 23:32 PM

Thank You for your help. 

Some windows users have switched to S3.  There is a parallel discussion here:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-6th-Gen-Battery-drain-in-sleep/m-p/4198895#M90109

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)