Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
orion760
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,352
Message 141 of 309

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 6 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

@tim54 don't buy it. Not worth it. I bought a Dell XPS 3.5 years ago and it's still running great. I would recommend that over this any day. I only got this one because my department had extra money to burn. We should avoid giving in to a company that doesn't care like this.

Lenovo's stock is dropping. Maybe it'll drop low enough and a more decent company will buy back ThinkPad.

We can help by no longer buying from them.

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 2,327
Message 142 of 309

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 6 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

In MBP from 2015 (still on sale) you can exchange the SSD and self-service the fans. Tools are some 20 bucks at iFixIt.

What fake HDR? I am coming from a 5k LG Ultrafine screen and the Carbon's HDR Glossy is absolutely stunning with 4K UHD Material. Linux supports the driver as tested in depth by Golem.de

I saw Yoga today at work and its display color range and relative bulkyness are not on par with a 1kg Carbon.

My Keyboard is not perfect, I have problems with mine, its why I'm exchanging my Carbon.
Guoxiang
Punch Card
Views: 2,251
Message 143 of 309

Curious on BIOS 1.23. I have this question because I had a bad experience with 1.15. 1.15 makes power consumption higher than 1.13, so I flashed back.  BTW, my fix is based on https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lenovo_ThinkPad_X1_Carbon_(Gen_6) 

1.23 shows it has  Security fix addresses LEN-22133 Speculative Execution Side Channel Variants 4
and 3a (CVE-2018-3639, CVE-2018-3640). So I think it would be better if I can upgrade to it without new problem as with 1.15. 

Anybody tried 1.23? 

Roman79
Punch Card
Views: 2,200
Message 144 of 309

Its just a fake HDR Display, yeah it looks stunning. But it cant handle HDR content. (Its just faking).

- No 10 Bit input (there is no option to use 10bit output in Hostsystem, Yeah Panel is only 8bit, but as long as host outputs in 8 bit, no HDR is possible)

- The only way to playback HDR content is Windows with Edge in Youtube. This option came with latest update. But its still a fake HDR. (You can even enable this on old devices like Y1 Yoga 2nd Gen). Displayproperties showing, no HDR, no BT2020 Colorspace... just an (ok its a good one) normal IPS 8bit Display. No HDR. Even Windows says: no HDS (you cant enable HDR, only the fake HDR-SDR Option for Videos in Edge. (You can do this with almost all Displays)

tim54
Punch Card
Views: 2,110
Message 145 of 309

@ateijelo--Good to hear that you got things working with Debian. Costco has a tempting deal on the X1 now: 512 gb SSD with 16 gb memory, i7, for $1,499, with a generous 90-day return period so I might go for it, despite my misgivings about Lenovo's lack of commitment to Linux. I have also been looking at HP''s elite book series, some of which are sold without windows pre-installed.

ateijelo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,090
Message 146 of 309

I'd totally go for it.

Yes, Lenovo has let us down. Yes, the HDR screen is not really HDR (perhaps Lenovo can be sued for falsely advertising an HDR screen).

But the machine is still amazing, the "HDR" screen looks beautiful and the keyboard feels like no other I've tried. And after fixing the sleep issue I've had zero problems with it. I'm happy with it.

orion760
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,076
Message 147 of 309

Yes, as a community I think we should fight against it. Lenovo is just spending big bucks to have the latest features.

Companies like this kill innovation.

What's the point of speeding up the mountain if only to have to wait for the Sherpa to know what to do next?

Also, can we please keep Windows posts off this thread? Nothing against windows, I think this will just make it hard for other users to find the solution to their problem (which is here, embedded and linked to periodically)

chitteshsham
Paper Tape
Views: 1,340
Message 148 of 309

Dear Lenovo Developers!

i highly appreciate and admire the linux community contribution, but i dont want to take the risk of patching the acpi tables manually. For now, the only reliable option i've noted is to run into hibernate instead of suspend, but it totally defeats the purpose of an "ultra portable laptop" .

The question in everyone's mind is whether you guys plan on an update in the near future or we only have false hope for an official update/patch?

I dont understand why favor window's modern standby over the traditional S3 which has been working fine so far, the linux kernel is not so matured yet to handle the new si03 sleep state.

Hope you guys won't disappoint your linux fanbase Smiley Happy

lpolonen
Paper Tape
Views: 1,204
Message 149 of 309

I suppose a BIOS option to switch Si03 to S3 would be well enough for any Linux user out there.

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 1,177
Message 150 of 309

So after patching ACPI tables, I needed to install Win10 for work reasons and I wonder if I have a disadvantage now. Is the patch hardware-/system-wide? If yes, is there a way to unpatch the ACPI tables?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors