cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ateijelo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,903
Message 211 of 306

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 6 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

On the grub menu, highlight the entry you want to boot and hit E to view the content. Make sure it has the acpi_override snippet in the initrd line.

igtheflig
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,798
Message 212 of 306

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 6 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

I don't even get a grub menu when I boot. How can I enable/force that, do you know?
ateijelo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,773
Message 213 of 306

It all depends on how Grub was configured. Give /etc/default/grub a look to see how yours look. Sometimes there's a "hidden timeout" and you have to press Esc to get the menu. Sometimes the menu is totally disabled and the system boots straight to the first option. If your case is the second one, you'll have to change some setting to actually see the menu.
Highlighted
ateijelo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,701
Message 214 of 306

Ok, I just tried Pop OS 18.04 in a VM and all you need to do is, in /etc/default/grub, comment out the line that says GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden.

So, the steps would be:

1. Comment out or delete the line GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
2. Run sudo update-grub
3. Edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg (which gets overwritten by update-grub) and add the acpi_override thing.
4. Reboot.
ateijelo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,697
Message 215 of 306

Also, for Debian derivatives, like Ubuntu & Pop OS, refer to my post in page 11 to get the /boot/acpi_override added automatically to your initrd after every kernel upgrade.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Discussion/X1-Carbon-Gen-6-cannot-enter-deep-sleep-S3-state-aka-S...

igtheflig
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,620
Message 216 of 306

I really appreciate the direct help, but commenting out GRUB_TIMOUT_STYLE and running update-grub changed nothing.

I looked in /boot/grub/grub.cfg and ever initrd line includes /boot/acpi_override, but I still don't see the grub menu.

I'll keep trying things, thanks again for the help.
igtheflig
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,606
Message 217 of 306

I set the timeout style explicitly to menu, and the timeout to -1 (i.e. infinity) and still no grub menu. This is some weird stuff. I think I will remove pop_os and go with a either fedora or ubuntu. 

igtheflig
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,417
Message 218 of 306

Installed ubunti18.04 and everything works. Managed the DSDT patching, editing grub, grub menu showing, sleeping, all if it.

Dunno **bleep** pop_os had done to keep grub hidden and make all my grub changes ignored, but I can just use the theme with ubuntu anyway. Now I really like this laptop. Did the lenovo_fix for the throttling too. All good.

Thanks all for the help.

Hi-Angel
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,325
Message 219 of 306

@Rydeen given it affects so many peoples, could Lenovo contribute Si03 support into the Linux kernel?

anx1
Punch Card
Views: 1,101
Message 220 of 306

After applying the DSDT patch (running Fedora 28) I am experiencing problems from now and on with the touchpad/trackpad. They become completely unresponsive. Rebooting does not solve it. To get them working again I need to power cycle the laptop...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors