cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tim54
Punch Card
Views: 1,399
Message 131 of 309

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 6 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

I'm really on the fence about whether to buy an X1 Gen 6. Costco has a great deal right now but I'm very conerned about all the issues that people are having with the touchpad and suspend-to-RAM with linux, which is the OS I would be installing (debian testing). I've read many threads but it's not clear to me how satisfactory the various workarounds are. Would a few people care to weigh in on this? Are these issues dealbreakers? I'm reluctant to support a company that doesn't seem to be responsive to the needs of the linux community.

shazow
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,384
Message 132 of 309

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 6 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

@Rydeen Any official updates?

Clearly there's still a lot of frustration from many customers.

walkie
Core Memory
Views: 1,359
Message 133 of 309

@tim54 I encountered some hiccups along the way, but was eventually able to get the instructions from here working. However, I'm on Fedora, so take with the appropriate amount of salt.

The situation is now almost entirely satisfactory. In sleep mode, my machine consumes less than .15 watts per hour, and I haven't had any of the touch pad issues others have reported.

The one lasting annoyance is that I have to edit my grub file to include the /acpi_override after every kernel update (which is quite often, because Fedora). I've tried editing various grub config files, but can't seem to make the right edit to automatically add this after each update, so I just add it manually each time. It only takes 10 seconds, but still annoying.

Overall, I have to say that I'm extremely happy with this hardware, and now that I've got sleep working, I'm a happy camper. However, It's really unfortunate that Lenovo seems not to value it's Linux customers, and that will certainly be a factor I take into account when I buy my next machine.

wintermute42
SCSI Port
Views: 1,347
Message 134 of 309

To be honest, I don't think I would buy it again or that I will buy or recommend a Thinkpad anytime soon. I'm really disappointed with the complete lack of support from Lenovo. They even completely ignore this part of the forum. Sure, there are workarounds for most, if not all problems with Linux on the latest generation of Thinkpads, thanks to the great community and lots of people willing to invest time and share their solutions. However, from my past experience with Lenovo I'd never have expected that there would be so many problems in the first place. They really don't seem to care about professional users running Linux anymore.

thinkpadlover9
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,322
Message 135 of 309

Short answer: DONT BUY IT. The fact, that lenovo DOES NOT answer is just proof, that they don't care. And I don't buy this BS with not supporting "unveryfied software" - there is a problem with the S3 sleep system - do a bloody bios update, where we can turn it off.

ateijelo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,297
Message 136 of 309

@tim54, your intended setup is exactly mine. X1C6 with HDR screen and Debian Testing. I did the ACPI fix and managed to get deep sleep without any hiccups. I haven't had any problem with the touchpad or the keyboard. I know Lenovo has let everyone down here, but I got Debian to work perfectly and I'm in love with this machine.

At least for Debian, you can add an initramfs hook that will prepend the acpi patch on every update, so you don't have to update every time. I posted it here some weeks ago, in page 11: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Discussion/X1-Carbon-Gen-6-cannot-enter-deep-sleep-S3-state-aka-S...

@walkie, I don't know about Fedora, but the initramfs hooks thing didn't look like a Debian specific thing. I think it should be possible.

Roman79
Punch Card
Views: 1,292
Message 137 of 309

The reason is not that S3 is not possible, Lenovo just dont want it. I run OS X on my X1 Yoga 3rd. I just insert S3 sleep in Custom DSDT, and voilla, S3 is working.

If lenovo will not change their way i will stop buying Hardware from them (Since years i always bought Lenovo). Its just a shame, first the hoax with the Fake HDR Display, then removing S3 sleep and Lenovo still dont give a **bleep** to wishes and criticsm from their customers. So i can go to Dell, Apple, HP or even Microsoft. They do many things better that Lenovo did with actual gen. 

walkie
Core Memory
Views: 1,283
Message 138 of 309

@ateijelo I looked into this when you posted it, but saw that Fedora doesn't have a /usr/share/initramfs-tools, and didn't have time to look into it further.

A quick search just now revealed that Fedora uses Dracut for it's initramfs infrastructure, so that's probably the path I'd have to go down to solve the issue. Once I've got some time to throw at the problem, I'll look into it more. Thanks for the lead. :-)

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 1,234
Message 139 of 309

Suprisingly, with the X1, I'm having some problems with the keyboard, a few keys are imperfect, a bit stucky and the scroll up key is tilted.

Linux Compatibilty of the X1: S3 runs with 0.4W for me, not excellent, but sufficent. WiFi and Touchpad Tap-To-Click sometimes stop working after sleep. At the moment of writing, the LTE vendor is not compatible with current Linux kernels and the Memory Card Reader had to be deactivated, too. Lenovo also made changes to the Trackpoint and Touchpad interfaces, so you have to decide which one to use of both, and you also loose the mouse trackpoint buttons if you opt for the tochpad in Bios.

In conclusion it is more than obvious that Linux and FOSS philantropy are just an afterthought at Lenovo and Linux/Unix-users are not their target user group, which is funny, since all our Cloud Architects and the CTO of the company I work with, rely soley on Linux as their daily machines.

If unsure, and build quality is not a prio, look at the Manjaro Spitfire, which offers 1,5TB Storage and 32GB RAM for less cash and is fully build for Linux.

Roman79
Punch Card
Views: 1,206
Message 140 of 309

Serious?

MBP was never an option. Extrem bad keyboard, no possibility for service (no cleaning of fans, no change of SSD, no change of  battery, no change of Wifi, no possibility of WAN). Loud fan in high usage too.

I can recommend the X1 Yoga 3rd. Its the better X1 Carbon 6th. Yes, its a little bit heavier and the display bezels are a little bit thicker but compared to the X1 Carbon 6th gen the WQHD (Fake HDR) is more anti reflective, the speakers are much much better and then there is touch and pencil support. Cardreader at the back is better in handling too.

My Keyboard is almost perfect. Never had any problem with mine. Iam just dissapointed because Lenovo lies related to HDR and is still advertising wrong features. Smiley Sad

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors