cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
komali_2
Paper Tape
Views: 3,842
Message 191 of 308

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 6 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

Seconding the `S2idle with acpi.ec_no_wakeup=1 ` process, on "sleep" it got me to "5.9 days" to empty, predicted by `upower --monitor-detail`

To do it, in ubuntu or debian, press the windows key and type "terminal," press enter. (Open terminal)

do

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

Enter your password when prompted. 

You will see a text editor with some text that starts like 

# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
# For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
#   info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

If you don't, stop the guide here and go learn more about linux or post a question on stackoverflow or something, that's what I had to do very recently Smiley Tongue 

You will see a line like "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT"

It probably looks like this right now: 

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

GEDIT works like any normal text editor (notepad), so click in there and change it to look like

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi.ec_no_wakeup=1"

Press ctrl+s to save (or click save in the top right), then close GEDIT. 

In your terminal, type

sudo update-grub

Then, restart your machine. 

To test if it works, try doing

upower --monitor-detail

in your terminal, and letting it run in a dedicated terminal window for a while as you browse the internet or something WITH YOUR LAPTOP UNPLUGGED. 

Then, with your laptop unplugged and leaving that terminal window open, try closing the lid of your laptop and going for a walk, 5, ten minutes. 

Open the lid, get your machine on again (I have to press the power button now), login, and compare the "time to empty" or the "energy-rate" of the recent logs to the previous ones (when you were using the machine). Hopefully, you see a significantly decreased difference. 

Either way, join me in regularly pestering Lenovo on social media to fix the thing they broke for no reason. 

Guoxiang
Punch Card
Views: 3,697
Message 192 of 308

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 6 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

Here it isx1c6 linux bios update.png

Sgtkeebler
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,664
Message 193 of 308

Do you know if this has rolled out to mint yet?

Guoxiang
Punch Card
Views: 3,650
Message 194 of 308

I don't know. I had some bad experience with BIOS update. I haven't tried this one yet...

zaphot
SCSI Port
Views: 3,562
Message 195 of 308

Please be careful when using the ubuntu firmware updater. There is no announcement from ubuntu about supporting x1 bios updates and this update software is quite new and probably not tested that well as the official update software.

A wrong bios update can still brick your ~2k €/$ device! Thus, I dont trust this ubuntu updater and wouldn't use it!

I would only consider the official ways to update your bios! In the case that something went wrong, it's the fault of lenovo and it would be a warrenty case. But if the ubuntu bios updater bricks your system, i quess that this is not covered by the warrenty and you probably have to pay a motherboard replacement by yourself. There is no otherway to repair a damaged bios! (please correct me if there is a recovery bios chip on the mobo)

You can check the official ways to update your bios on the lenovo support website. Moreover, there is a changelog available:

CHANGES IN THIS RELEASE
  Version 1.27

[Important updates]
- Update includes a security fix.

[New functions or enhancements]
- Support TPM firmware update by utility.

[Problem fixes]
  Nothing.

As you can see bios 1.27 only has security updates, probably for the new spectre kind attacks. So nothing related to this issue here!

Guoxiang
Punch Card
Views: 3,171
Message 196 of 308

Agree. Better to wait for official announcement of Linux tools

ardevd
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,650
Message 197 of 308

Please note that the firmware update you describe has nothing to do with Ubuntu and is completely separate from the Ubuntu package repositories. It's part of the Linux Vendor Firmware Service (or LVFS). It's an awesome project that aims to provide pain free installation of firmware updates through a centralized repository. Dell has long been the only major OEM to support it but we've known for a while that Lenovo has been testing it too. The official vendor support page now lists Lenovo has having hopped onboard and uploading firmware with certain models supported. This is fantastic news! Unfortunately it seems like they're only offering BIOS updates through it for now but it's still a lot less hassle than booting into a Windows environment or flashing a USB stick every time a new BIOS update comes out. BIOS updates these days tend to contain important security fixes which makes it important to stay up to date.

I have the X1 Carbon Gen 5 and I'm seeing BIOS updates too through LVFS. Here is a quick CLI guide:

To list all LVFS supported devices: 

fwupdmgr get-devices

To see all available firmware updates

fwupdmgr get-updates

To install all available updates

fwupdmgr update 

ardevd
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,686
Message 198 of 308

The firmware update provided by LVFS has been uploaded by Lenovo directly so it should be pretty "official". I installed the 1.34 BIOS Update for my X1C5 using fwupdmgr and it worked flawlessly. A really smooth experience.

wintermute42
SCSI Port
Views: 2,297
Message 199 of 308

Setting acpi.ec_no_wakeup=1 doesn't seem to work on my X1C with Ubuntu 18.04. It tries to go to S2 (not S3) according to syslog:
`systemd[1]: Starting Suspend...
systemd-sleep[7271]: Suspending system...
kernel: [ 1609.820560] PM: suspend entry (s2idle)
`
... then after a few minutes something causes it to wake up again
j6m6
Punch Card
Views: 2,249
Message 200 of 308

s2idle isn’t the S2 state, and acpi.ec_no_wakeup=1 isn’t intended to allow the machine to go into S3. The kernel param is for reducing wake ups during low power states (e.g. S0i3)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors