cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
great_baldini
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,881
Message 221 of 308

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 6 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

@anx1 wrote:

After applying the DSDT patch (running Fedora 28) I am experiencing problems from now and on with the touchpad/trackpad. They become completely unresponsive. Rebooting does not solve it. To get them working again I need to power cycle the laptop...

I'm having the exact same problem under Ubuntu 18.04. After waking up, trackapad and trackpoint don't work, the xinput command doesn't even show these devices...

anx1
Punch Card
Views: 2,857
Message 222 of 308

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 6 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

Thanks for the information. I have now reverted back to the old S2idle mode (acpi.ec_no_wakeup=1) in grub setting.

Whine below..

I am seriously considering returning my laptop. It is a great device (hardware) but if you can't get the hardware+software to work together then it becomes a brick. It feels annoying getting ignored by the Lenovo team as they don't care about the Linux users. I know what computer brand I won't recommend in the future.. Cat Surprised

igtheflig
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,840
Message 223 of 308

I returned mine.

Then I bought another one, when the model designation incremented.

I had the issue you describe with my original x1c6 20KG. The 20KH with the latest 1.27 BIOS, ubuntu 18.04, DSDT patch, and acpi.no_wakeup=1, the script for thermal throtlling, and numerous other tweaks, is pretty nice.

That it seems to be a lottery if you get a machine you can use is totally unforgivable. I have an x270 (just works, always) and an x230 (just works, always). Maybe when the x1c7 comes out the gen6 will be a dependable machine.

Still nothing beats my MBPr 15 from 2013, but even that can't last forever.

anx1
Punch Card
Views: 2,816
Message 224 of 308

Did you return your after the return period? If so, was there any problems? I guess this would be a RMA in my case. 

(I bought directly from Lenovo.)

xji
Paper Tape
Views: 2,776
Message 225 of 308

@anx1I know what computer brand I won't recommend in the future.. Cat Surprised

To be fair it's not Lenovo's fault that no Linux kernel supports Si03 yet. It's just that they're not actively producing a custom BIOS for Linux.

I first bought an XPS 9370 but the keyboard was an absolute joke that doesn't allow you to type faster than ~60 WPM, otherwise keystrokes start getting not registered. And it's not a single case, but an inherent hardware fault of *all* Dell laptops of that generation. Simply absurd. You may search online to see if you can find the thread. Returned it in no time.

Then, given the dismal state with Apple and their MBP. I don't know what brand would you recommend if you think Lenovo is a brand you "won't recommend in the future". Getting an ultrabook just right is hard. Apple got it with the old MBP but then they don't give a **bleep** anymore. I'm still very satisfied with my X1C6 so far.

anx1
Punch Card
Views: 2,757
Message 226 of 308

Ok, I agree to some extent that it's not Lenovo's "fault". I agree that getting an ultrabook just right is hard but it doesn't help if the vendor isn't helpful in this matter. They should just put some more interest in the Linux community after all the feedback that they have received.

I should have reasearched more and waited a bit more before buying this laptop. Overall I am happy with the device, but it feels bad having to use all these workarounds on a high priced working machine.

I was with Apple before and I jumped here because of the leap of hardware performance.
great_baldini
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,570
Message 227 of 308

At some point in the future, people doing reviews or summaries, describing the history of certain series of laptop models will quote the 6th generation of X1 Carbon as this special one model that got everyone pissed because Lenovo has decided to experiment with suspend for no good reason and refused to make it work properly.

S3 is there - we know it's supported by hardware and firmware. It's just hidden from the user and the system. One simple fix to the BIOS and everyone will forgive you. People will stop returning their X1 6ths, getting refunds and moving to other vendors. They may even consider buying your hardware in the future.

Seriously, I love the looks of ThinkPads. I love their non-curvy design (every other brand tries to make their laptops look like MacBooks) and the fact that in most cases they use components that work well with Linux. But right now, once my current machine is old enough, I will be considering a new laptop. And it's not going to be Lenovo, since it seems to be so very hard for Lenovo to make their flagship laptop right. What is more, I am not going to recommend these laptops to anyone. In the company I work for, when selecting machines for developers, we will no longer consider Lenovo laptops. Which so far has been an obvious choice. We will be looking into other brands and choose one that causes us fewer issues. Unless of course this X1 Carbon 6th edition poopstorm gets sorted out.

I know Linux users are a tiny percentage of your users, so losing that demographic is not a huge deal. It might even be beneficial - you can concentrate on Windows users and their issues. This is business and I totally understand that. I'm just honestly telling you what I think and feel as a user, and what consequences all this has for me and the people around me. It makes me sad and a bit angry, but I have no power over you.

great_baldini
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,548
Message 228 of 308

@xji wrote:

@anx1I know what computer brand I won't recommend in the future.. Cat Surprised

To be fair it's not Lenovo's fault that no Linux kernel supports Si03 yet. It's just that they're not actively producing a custom BIOS for Linux.

It's not only about Linux. 1) it doesn't work in Windows either if you look around the forum, 2) it doesn't even make sense on a laptop when you think about it. S3 may be old, but it works super well - saves a lot of energy, does not make components hot and wakes up fast. This mode may make sense in some weirdly designed laptops that have an external display (on the other side of the cover or they let the cover go around near 360 degrees) OR it makes sense as idle mode when you do not use your opened laptop for a longer period and it becomes idle like a phone or tablet, but still receives notifications and stuff. It has no place in a normal laptop that you close.

anx1
Punch Card
Views: 1,283
Message 229 of 308

Hi.. I managed to the my trackpad working after resume now when using S3.. So the computer became a bit more friendly now... 

In /lib/systemd/system-sleep I have a file called trackpad containing:

#!/bin/sh
TID=$(xinput list | grep -iPo 'trackpoint.*id=\K\d+')
if [ "${1}" == "post" ]; then
  echo -n none > /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/drvctl
  sleep 1
  echo -n reconnect > /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/drvctl
  xinput disable "$TID"
  xinput enable "$TID"
fi 

great_baldini
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,255
Message 230 of 308

@anx1 wrote:

Hi.. I managed to the my trackpad working after resume now when using S3.. So the computer became a bit more friendly now... 

In /lib/systemd/system-sleep I have a file called trackpad containing:

#!/bin/sh
TID=$(xinput list | grep -iPo 'trackpoint.*id=\K\d+')
if [ "${1}" == "post" ]; then
  echo -n none > /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/drvctl
  sleep 1
  echo -n reconnect > /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/drvctl
  xinput disable "$TID"
  xinput enable "$TID"
fi 

In my case this works well with S2idle. After modifying the DSDT tables and getting full S3, trackpoint and trackpad are not recognized by the system after wakeup (not listed in xinput at all).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors