cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
denNorske
Paper Tape
Views: 4,878
Message 281 of 309

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 6 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

I´ve been on the edge of going away from lenovo, as I just got one of these laptops through work. The workflow is extremely important to me, and the annoying issue with the trackpad and pointer has been driving me crazy. Although the community managed to find a workaround, I must admit i was running out of patience.

A huge thanks to Lenovo for actually adressing this and letting us have the full potential of this computer with linux as well, hopefully they will preserve their good reputation among the linux community.

And also thank you guys for the good efforts in the meantime. Been reading here every now and then, and I finally just had to make this account to say thanks.

jetzzz
Paper Tape
Views: 4,564
Message 282 of 309

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 6 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

Just updated to BIOS 1.30, S3 sleep is working nicely without `acpi_override`!

Faye_108
Paper Tape
Views: 4,285
Message 283 of 309

Really happy to see that the issue about S3 state has been addressed in the uefi 1.3 update.  Thank You, Lenovo! 

Please excuse, if this issue has been adressed before, but the readme of the 1.3 update says the following: 

"UEFI: 1.30 / ECP: 1.08 - (New) Support Optimized Sleep State for Linux in ThinkPad Setup - Config - Power. (Note) "Linux" option is optimized for Linux OS, Windows user must select "Windows 10" option."

What am I supposed to do with my Windows 10 / Arch Linux Dual boot system? I need both OS on this laptop. 

If I switch to the Linux option, how will Windows 10 handle sleep mode then? I suppose that Windows 10 can automatically adapt to S3, but the explicit "must" in the above quote makes me insecure, as it somehow implies that switching to the Linux option may have other unwanted effects on the Windows system. 

Thank You for your help. 

Hi-Angel
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,253
Message 284 of 309

@Faye_108 wrote:

Really happy to see that the issue about S3 state has been addressed in the uefi 1.3 update.  Thank You, Lenovo! 

Please excuse, if this issue has been adressed before, but the readme of the 1.3 update says the following: 

"UEFI: 1.30 / ECP: 1.08 - (New) Support Optimized Sleep State for Linux in ThinkPad Setup - Config - Power. (Note) "Linux" option is optimized for Linux OS, Windows user must select "Windows 10" option."

What am I supposed to do with my Windows 10 / Arch Linux Dual boot system? I need both OS on this laptop. 

If I switch to the Linux option, how will Windows 10 handle sleep mode then? I suppose that Windows 10 can automatically adapt to S3, but the explicit "must" in the above quote makes me insecure, as it somehow implies that switching to the Linux option may have other unwanted effects on the Windows system. 

Thank You for your help. 

I kind of doubt devs really track this topic, so you might have better luck asking the question separately. Also, probably, in Windows branch of the forum, because this series of OSes has official support from Lenovo.

You might leave a link to the question here too, I think peoples would be curious about the answer. I sure will.

ssaray
Paper Tape
Views: 4,058
Message 285 of 309

I have updated BIOS to 1.30 and works like a charm Smiley Happy 2% of battery loss in 12 hours, and no more heating issues. 

However, I could not update BIOS using a USB stick, but I found an alternative solution that may be helpful to other people. 

Originally, I tried to follow these instructions to create the iso image and boot from USB

https://workaround.org/article/updating-the-bios-on-lenovo-laptops-from-linux-using-a-usb-flash-stic...

But I could not make my laptop to boot from the USB despite many workarounds. 

I read then at the archilinux webpage (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lenovo_ThinkPad_X1_Carbon_(Gen_6) ) the following info: 

"In August of 2018 Lenovo has joined the Linux Vendor Firmware Service(LVFS) project, which enables firmware updates from within the OS. BIOS updates (and possibly other firmware such as the Thunderbolt controller) can be queried for and installed through fwupd."

I thus folowed the instructions in fwupd webpage

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fwupd

And it worked surprinsigly well. My BIOS got updated automatically and then I could select the LInux option at the security section. 

These are the 4 commands that one needs to run according to fwupd page:

$ fwupdmgr get-devices
Note: Some returned devices might not be updatable through fwupd, e.g. Intel integrated graphics.

To refresh metadata on available updates:

$ fwupdmgr refresh

To check which devices have updates:

$ fwupdmgr get-updates

To install updates:

$ fwupdmgr update

And that was it,

Hope it helps

ps. thanks everyone for the contributions, I could not have made it otherwise.  

NNNN
Paper Tape
Views: 3,963
Message 286 of 309

@Faye_108

Thank You for your help. 

Some windows users have switched to S3.  There is a parallel discussion here:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-6th-Gen-Battery-drain-in-sleep/m-p/...

jinming868
Punch Card
Views: 2,947
Message 287 of 309

recently the x1 cargon 6th has the linux s3 mode sleep, but my x1 yoga need it also,

so what time can i have this bios update?

also there is a problem on the modern standby: when my x1 yoga go into modern standby,the fan doesnt stop!

denNorske
Paper Tape
Views: 2,930
Message 288 of 309

Hi!

Well, x1 Carbon and x1 Yoga are two different models. Bios for one wouldn't automatically be for the other one. 
I suggest you start a new thread for attention. Sounds like an annoying problem, and I hope it gets fixed soon.

Modern standby (if i understood it correctly) is when your computer goes from being functional and turned on - to end up in a very low power state (but not as low as S3). The CPU calms down and all devices use a minimum amount of power. If the CPU is hot when this happens, I do believe it would continue to spin nonetheless and then shortly after stop spinning if it's cooled.

However, don't take my word for that is what happens. I hope it gets figured out.

Cheers

jnWibble
SCSI Port
Views: 2,759
Message 289 of 309

I have the problem on the X1C6. Or rather, with the new BIOS, there is S3 sleep, but the touchpad fails to work on resume. I have tried no end of workarounds, to no avail. I contact Lenovo support, but the people there refused to try to help, in any fashion. Indeed, they seemed barely to know what Linux was.

The problem may owe to (non-existent support and shoddy engineering and) the 'NFC' component in my laptop; for some other people with that component seem to have the same sort of problem that I do.

Sgtkeebler
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,741
Message 290 of 309

Its not a hardware issue it’s a software issue so I don’t believe they will be able to do much. I believe there a forum created and just like this one you guys will need to demand a fix

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors