cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jnWibble
Punch Card
Views: 4,070
Message 291 of 306

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 6 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

I am afraid I can find no other relevant forum and no other means of redress. I've posted here and elsewhere on these boards, I have contacted the 'managed support' (who tell me they do not support Linux), I've sent a message to one of the mods on these boards (no reply as yet), I've complained on Reddit . . What else can I do?

Hi-Angel
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,011
Message 292 of 306

Re: X1 Carbon Gen 6 cannot enter deep sleep (S3 state aka Suspend-to-RAM) on Linux

@jnWibble wrote:

I am afraid I can find no other relevant forum and no other means of redress. I've posted here and elsewhere on these boards, I have contacted the 'managed support' (who tell me they do not support Linux), I've sent a message to one of the mods on these boards (no reply as yet), I've complained on Reddit . . What else can I do?

As peoples in another thread wisely mentioned, you can leave a review. It seems, that leaving review is a bit tricky, it requires getting a mail from Lenovo, I'm not sure of details (e.g. how Lenovo would even know I purchased their laptop?), but you can ask it at the linked thread or the support.

jnWibble
Punch Card
Views: 3,940
Message 293 of 306

> It seems, that leaving review is a bit tricky, it requires getting a mail from Lenovo (e.g. how Lenovo would even know I purchased their laptop?), but you can ask it at the linked thread or the support.

So I must jump through hoops merely in order to add what will likely turn out to be another fruitless complaint? I'll add that clicking the 'contact us' button on this website stalled for a while and then threw an error in my browser. This time . . after much faffing around, the site tried to put me through to . . the managed support people. If I ask them about leaving reviews, they'll tell me it is not their area.

Thank you for trying to help, though.

shazow
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,427
Message 294 of 306

Big thanks to Lenovo and the ThinkPad division for hearing out the complaints in this thread and actually changing their roadmap to meet our needs.

And a shout out to Rydeen for passing on the feedback to the team and communicating with us.

My expectations with previous Linux support issues have been so low that I geniunely didn't believe we'd get an official fix for this. Thank you for proving me and many other people wrong, maybe making us a little more optimistic in the future. Smiley Happy

Thanks Lenovo, ThinkPad, and Rydeen. ❤️

jnWibble
Punch Card
Views: 3,417
Message 295 of 306

Unfortunately the following remains the case, unless I miss something.

1) The regular support staff claim 'we do not support Linux' and have no idea what `fwupdmgr` is.

2) S3 sleep does not work properly on some X1CG6's, including mine. The affected machines are perhaps those with the Near Field Communication. As I have said above, my trackpad does not work after S3 suspend, no matter what I do. I have spent months trying to fix this, having already spent time on fixing - via a third-party hack - the thermal throttling under Linux.

So, any claim that Lenovo is now doing the decent thing by Linux seems false.

PS: Also, the numbering doesn't seem to be working properly in this editor.

wintermute42
SCSI Port
Views: 1,202
Message 296 of 306

Same here: I also have the X1C with NFC and spent a lot of time trying to get the touchpad to work after resume from suspend. Nothing worked. I finally decided to get rid of the laptop. I've been working with Linux on Thinkpads for ~15 years now without major issues, but this experience tought me never to buy a Thinkpad again.

jaybeat
Paper Tape
Views: 1,004
Message 297 of 306

Please Lenovo, it's been almost 1 year that this thread has started and Linux users still can't properly use your high end laptop.

You could just provide an alternative file for Linux users but looks like you prefer seeing them running to Dell instead ...

jnWibble
Punch Card
Views: 959
Message 298 of 306

I second Jaybeat's sentiments: this problem should have been solved; that it has not really been solved puts me off Thinkpads and strongly inclines me towards avoiding Thinkpads in the future.

I know that Ubuntu too - not just Lenovo - is working on the problem; but between the two companies something (something more) really should have been done by now.

mwhathaway
Paper Tape
Views: 680
Message 299 of 306

I had all this working until my motherbord needed a warranty replacement. Bios no loger has a sleep option in the power menu. Computer appears to go into standby, but battery dies after 4-5 hours

jnWibble
Punch Card
Views: 645
Message 300 of 306

Someone - an Ubuntu developer, I believe - is currently testing a fix. To contribute to the testing, you need to download and install and then boot from a patched kernel. The download is a .deb file (and there's a .deb file of kernel headers, but not everyone will need these). Find the stuff near the end of this thread. I am testing the patch myself currently. EDIT: Arrrgh, it did not work for me.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors