Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

778 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

505 Signins

6016 Page Views

• Views: 6016
  • Message 11 of 18

Re:X1 Carbon Gen9 - Success SUSE LEAP-15.3 install

2021-10-13, 19:03 PM

HI @oldcpu  

Just as a note be a bit careful with SOF firmware versions depending on your kernel - for your newer kernel version it won't be a problem :). Previously you couldn't use a new firmware on an older kernel.

The X1C9 does work well with v1.8 and v1.9 (our Tigerlake-H platforms like the P1G4 have issues with v1.8) - I've tested both fairly recently

Mark

Options

17 Posts

09-27-2021

Thailand

18 Signins

215 Page Views

• Views: 215
  • Message 12 of 18

2021-10-14, 5:33 AM

On the unexpected crash/reboots, I experienced a half dozen of these yesterday, each time within a few minutes of playing a video with Firefox (running under openSUSE-LEAP-15.3 on this Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen-9).  What interested me was I could not reproduce this behaviour playing a YouTube video for much longer time durations with the Chrome browser.

The crash/reboots, when they occurred (while Firefox playing YouTube videos) was sudden, immediately a black screen followed by a reboot.  Of course an app when it crashes should NOT bring down the OS, so I am not 100% convinced the issue was with FireFox.

The fact that I obtained no crash with the Chrome browser gave me confidence that this was likely not a hardware issue, ...  and my inability to find anyone else reporting this issue suggested to me it was likely openSUSE specific issue, and more likely specific to my install.

Today I tried again, unsuccessfully to reproduce the crash with Chrome. 

I then this morning updated Mozilla Firefox from the packaged MozillaFirefox-78.0 to a more cutting edge MozillaFirefox-93.0.   More specifically I installed:

MozillaFirefox-93.0-lp153.4.1.x86_64        
mozilla-nss-3.70-lp153.1.2.x86_64         
libsoftokn3-hmac-3.70-lp153.1.2.x86_64        
libsoftokn3-3.70-lp153.1.2.x86_64           
libfreebl3-hmac-3.70-lp153.1.2.x86_64     
libfreebl3-3.70-lp153.1.2.x86_64

I had never seen a "libsoftokn" app before, so this gives me something to research and learn about.

Anyway, this morning with MozillaFirefox-93.0, I played youtube videos for over an hour, and I have not been able to reproduce the crash/reboot that was so easy to obtain yesterday with the older MozillaFirefox-78.0.   I don't know why.  I looked at various journal entries for the crash/reboots, and its not obvious to me as to what caused the crash/reboots.

Obviously, as i continue to use this Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen-9, I will nominally be attempting to reproduce any such anomalous behaviour.  But maybe (?) the issue is gone.

One thing of note, EVERY reboot, and EVERY shutdown I have done to date (over 2 dozen) since installing the 5.14.11 kernel, has worked, either with a proper reboot, or a power removal shutdown.  That was not the case before with the older 5.3.18 kernel on this Lenovo with openSUSE-LEAP-15.3. .... 

So I think the kernel update on openSUSE LEAP-15.3 to a 5.14.11 kernel may have solved the power shutdown issue.

Also for MarkRHPearson, thank-you for the warning about sof-firmware.   I will keep that in mind.

I am very much (at present) outside my comfort zone with GNU/Linux on this Lenovo, ... as although I am a GNU/Linux user for just short of a quarter of a century, in the past I have always used older hardware and also I have not used the most cutting edge software.  Going with this X1 Carbon Gen-9 and with non-nominal cutting edge experimental openSUSE software/apps is not something I normally do. 

Its a interesting learning experience.

Options

778 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

505 Signins

6016 Page Views

• Views: 6016
  • Message 13 of 18

2021-10-15, 18:04 PM

Hi @oldcpu  

Thanks for the interesting updates!

Would you mind if I marked your issue as 'solved'. Just because otherwise it shows up as unsolved and whilst it's great hearing about your experiences you now get tracked as a problem :) Let me know if any objections

Mark

Answer
Options

17 Posts

09-27-2021

Thailand

18 Signins

215 Page Views

• Message 14 of 18

2021-10-16, 1:24 AM

Hi MarkRHPearson.  Yes please do mark this thread as 'solved'.  I am happy with the performance of this Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen-9.

I note I have a Windows-10 Pro variant (where I expect my 'contractual' (?) support would come with Windows and not GNU/Linux), and I have no complaints there (ok - granted I actually have not used that OS other than the 1st day to prepare for a GNU/Linux install).  I also get very good support on the openSUSE forums and I typically go there for help if/when needed.

I did manage to reproduce the crash/reboot with Firefox-93.0 playing Youtube videos after many hours of use (contrary to Firefox-78.0 where I would obtain such a crash/reboot in less than 10 minutes of playing Youtube videos).  The view on openSUSE forums is that this cash once again could be due to (1) Firefox being notorious for bringing down the entire OS when it crashes (as it uses the GPU/hardware acceleration where possible), and (2) the openSUSE LEAP-15.3 Mesa 3D 20.2.4 graphic software not up to date sufficiently for use with this X1 Carbon Gen-9's  Iris Xe Graphics.

I was recommended I (1) set FireFox to not use GPU Webrender and run in software mode (which I have now done after that Firefox-93.0 crash), and (2) update the LEAP-15.3 Mesa software to a newer version, using a 'experimental/test' openSUSE LEAP-15.3 "X11 : XOrg " repository.   I just may do that some time next week.

I note at present my openSUSE-15.3 on my Lenovo X1 Carbon gen9 has the following installed:
- intel-media-driver-21.2.3-lp153.33.2   <<<< I updated this shortly after I went for the 5.14.11 kernel from kernel : backport : stable
- Mesa-20.2.4-57.13

I note in the openSUSE LEAP-15.3   X11 : XOrg : repository (which I have not yet installed)
- intel-media-driver-21.3.4
- Mesa-21.2.3

I also checked github, where the most current Mesa is 21.2.4 (released around 14-October-2021). But the 21.2.3 in the X11 : / XOrg repos is still very new (released 30-Sep-2021 from github). In contrast the Mesa-20.2.4 in my openSUSE LEAP-15.3 is much older (relatively old for such new Iris graphic hardware) and was released in github on 5-Dec-2020.

I then started looking at the change history between v.21.2.3 (in X11 : XOrg repos) and the 20.2.4 on my LEAP-15.3. I searched mostly for i915 and iris (as the TigerLake CPU in the X1 Carbon Gen9 has Iris graphics). There were some i915 bug-fixes/updates and MANY iris bug-fixes/updates. Some of which appear to prevent crashes .... so likely an update is a good idea.

I'll add to this openSUSE LEAP-15.3 (on a Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen-9) thread if I do proceed to the update.

But let me conclude this post by saying I am happy to mark this as 'solved' and overall very happy with this laptop running GNU/Linux.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

17 Posts

09-27-2021

Thailand

18 Signins

215 Page Views

• Message 15 of 18

2021-10-18, 10:08 AM

I updated the openSUSE LEAP-15.3 graphics software to some more cutting edge versions.   

The openSUSE community has a repository entitled 'X11 : XOrg' where there are many more cutting edge X-Windows software packages present, I so I selected that repository, giving it priority for package installation (using the openSUSE package manager in YAST).  

For example: 
* Mesa was updated from Mesa-20.2.4 to 21.2.4
* xorg-x11-server from xorg-x11-server-1.20.3 to 1.20.13

In total 121 packages were updated.

For the 'curious' this openSUSE LEAP-15.3 specific repository is here:  https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/XOrg/openSUSE_Leap_15.3/

It is constantly updated so its possible in a week or sooner, there will be versions newer than what I installed.

Typically this is way too cutting edge for me, but I have still been experiencing the occasional crash/reboot of this openSUSE LEAP-15.3 on the Lenovo X1 Carbon gen-9, so I decided to try newer X-Windows software to see if it can better handle working with the Lenovo's TigerLake processor with Iris graphics.

I will post again after I have had sometime to see how stable this may be.  I suspect if stable, I won't update very much as I am rather conservative, and not normally comfortable with cutting edge software.

Options

17 Posts

09-27-2021

Thailand

18 Signins

215 Page Views

• Message 16 of 18

2021-10-20, 12:43 PM

I am still debugging (so to speak) the occasional crash/reboot of openSUSE LEAP-15.3 that I get with this Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen-9.  I note I still experienced a crash/reboot with the updated Xwindow (Mesa and such)  applications.  So I have changed some BIOS values.

I might be making progress.

In BIOS I restored the 'Network' settings to the default values that were in place when the laptop was delivered.  This meant I changed back:
* "Wake on LAN from Dock" from OFF to ON
* "Lenovo Cloud Services" from OFF to ON
* "UEFI IPv4 Network Stack" from OFF to ON
* "UEFI IPv6 Netowor Stack" from OFF to ON

Frankly, I think I have no need for any of those to be ON, but at this point I am looking for a possible Firmware incompabibilty with my openSUSE LEAP-15.3 which is causing random crash/reboots.

At the same BIOS boot, I went to BIOS under Config > Power, and I changed 'CPU Power Management' to OFF from the default of "ON".  I note this "Enables or Disables the power saving feature that stop the microprocessor clock automatically when there are no system activities.  Normally, it is not necessary to change this setting."

Its over 1 day later and I have yet to experience a crash/reboot as before, but I think it is too early to conclude.  Maybe if I have no reboot/crash in the next 2 weeks, I might be able to conclude one of those changes fixed the issue.

At that point, if that stability happens, I will likely start changing back one by one the 'Network' settings to OFF, to see if any bring back the crash/reboot issue.

Options

5 Posts

08-17-2021

China

9 Signins

70 Page Views

• Views: 70
  • Message 17 of 18

2021-10-20, 13:43 PM

Great, thank you.

Interested in your test, I will continue to follow your updates. If there's anything I can help you, just let we know.

Kean

Options

17 Posts

09-27-2021

Thailand

18 Signins

215 Page Views

• Message 18 of 18

2021-10-21, 14:41 PM

I had another successful Bluetooth test with this Lenovo X1 Carbon Generation-9 running LEAP-15.3 (with the updated 5.14.11 kernel).

I purchased an Inphic PM6BS rechargeable Three-mode mouse and I have been using it with this Lenovo.  The Inphic PM6BS supports

(1) 2.4GHz wireless (it comes with a wireless USB receiver to plug in the laptop),

(2) Bluetooth-3.0, and

(3) Bluetooth-5.0.  

I connected successfully to the mouse using the mouse's Bluetooth-5.0 setting (which means I did not use the 2.4GHz wireless USB receiver).  Of course using a Bluetooth mouse frees up a USB port (if one does not wish to use the trackpad/trackpointer).  For information, the 2.4GHz receiver gives this for 'lsusb' :

Bus 003 Device 010: ID 1ea7:0064 SHARKOON Technologies GmbH 2.4GHz Wireless rechargeable vertical mouse [More&Better]

According to Linux Hardware ( https://linux-hardware.org/?id=usb:1ea7-0064 ) this mouse's 2.4 GHz wireless works with GNU/Linux.  I did not try to use that, as the Bluetooth-5.0 worked fine with openSUSE LEAP-15.3.

Successful simultaneous Bluetooth use

While using this Bluetooth mouse (with its Bluetooth-5.0 setting) I then switched on my Bose Soundsport ear buds and I was able to hear quality music from a smplayer video with these Bose Soundsports, while at the same time using the Bluetooth mouse. 

This dual Bluetooth use with this Lenovo X1 Carbon Generation-9 is very nice.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)