12-01-2018 10:38 PM
I bought an X1E laptop recently too. I installed ubuntu 18.04 with win10 dual boot.
In ubuntu, F5 doens't work without officical latest driver.
Someone online told me make the change as I posted. Now I installed driver v415.13(Beta) and F5 works.
Bye the way, Secure Boot should be disabled in BIOS before installing Nvidia Driver.
12-01-2018 10:55 PM
I have the same problem(F5 and suspend) with ubuntu18.04 and win10 dual boot.
Installing the latest official Driver (415.13 ) is the way to solve it for me.
1. set discrete Display Card in BIOS.
2. disable Security Boot in BIOS.
3. add "cpi_osi=linux nomodeset" to grub.cfg.
4. trully install latest driver. (check by nvidia-smi command)
5. If you want to install Cuda, install 410 driver and Cuda first. using flowing command if necessary (in tty text mode).
systemctl isolate multi-user.target. (which is used to close driver. If driver is working, reinstall does't not work.)
modprob -r nvidia-drm (remove the kernel related driver I think.)
install the driver you want.
system start graphical.target (renable the dvier.)
bingo (works good now.)