cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Esonn
Punch Card
Views: 5,801
Message 1 of 2

X1 Gen6: Massive battery drain in suspend. No deep sleep support? (ACPI S3 aka STR aka suspend2ram)

I installed Linux (Arch, but tried several). The system performs very well, all devices are working (aside from fingerprint). However, it seems to drain a lot of battery when suspended - my measurements suggest ~6.2%/hour during waking state (idle operation/wifi enabled/50% brightness/few browser tabs/messanger), and as much as 4.1%/hour in suspend. In other words, energy consumption in suspend is ~66% of that in waking state, which is absolutely unacceptable.

Generally speaking, suspend works. However, only the "s2idle" state. As opposed to my x250 and also the X1C5, ACPI fails to report S3 sleep state support (deep sleep):

$ dmesg | grep -i acpi | grep supports
[    0.216048] ACPI: (supports S0 S4 S5)
$ cat /sys/power/state
reeze mem disk
$ cat /sys/power/mem_sleep
[s2idle]

Especially the latter output should read "s2idle [deep]" and therefore use deep sleep by default (since s2idle is a purely software-based idle mode), which is also what is written in the corresponding kernel documentation on sleep states

I ruled out all obvious reasons (wake-on-lan, devices not sleeping, no devices allowed to wake up machine, proper APLS support, etc). I installed the lastest rc kernel (4.16-rc3), tried many different kernel boot options (especially everything ACPI related) and permutated all BIOS/UEFI options I could imagine to no avail.

I would suspect that's a BIOS issue. Even with very verbose kernel logging, everything reported seems fine - the BIOS simply does not advertise the S3 sleep state at all. Does anyone else have that problem? Know a solution?

Esonn
Punch Card
Views: 5,383
Message 2 of 2

Re: X1 Gen6: Massive battery drain in suspend. No deep sleep support? (ACPI S3 aka STR aka suspend2r

Please refer to this thread on the Lenovo forums where the actual discussion is happening. A more detailed technical discussion is available on the arch forums

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors