Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

06-01-2021

Singapore

3 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 1 of 5

X1 Yoga Gen 6 - lag and graphical artifacts on Linux when display scaling is used

2021-06-01, 2:53 AM

I installed various Linux distributions (Ubuntu 21.04, Fedora 34, Arch Linux) on my X1 Yoga Gen 6 (with UHD+ display), and all of these had the same problem - there was some very strange lag and visual artifacting on the desktop when I used display scaling (kind of necessary for this kind of pixel density).

For example, typing in the terminal, sometimes a typed character would take a fraction of a second to show up, or wouldn't show up at all until I would type another character (at which point both showed up). There were also frequent cases where if the content of a window changed dramatically (eg. opening up the "customize" options on Firefox), the screen would not be updated until I moved the cursor - then, the rows of pixels I moved the cursor over would update.

After some experimentation in Arch Linux with different kernel versions, I determined that this happened only on kernels 5.10 and up (however, Arch Linux did not run very well on anything older - the touchscreen was not even detected, for example). I'm currently running Linux Mint 20.1 Edge, which uses kernel version 5.8, and after running all the updates from Update Manager the touchscreen also works as expected. There is none of the lag I experienced on other distributions.

I suspect the issue is similar to that described here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Ubuntu/x1-carbon-9th-gen/m-p/5071332?page=1#5286594

Is there any known way to fix this issue? I'd rather like to be running Arch Linux (yay AUR). Perhaps a certain kernel version or driver? Are any distributions other than Mint known to work correctly?

Answer
Options

2 Posts

06-17-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 5

Re:X1 Yoga Gen 6 - lag and graphical artifacts on Linux when display scaling is used

2021-06-17, 14:46 PM

Hey neilbaner, I've recently received an X1 yoga gen 6 too and I experienced the same issues.

Although (I think!) I've managed to find a workaround if you're still searching and interested!

It seems to be related to the power saving feature of the i915 module (the video card driver), and it's possible to tweak it such that the problem disappears. That tweaking might have a negative impact on the power consumption but that's probably what's best while we wait for an upstream fix.

So this fixed it for me, pass the following parameter to the kernel: i915.enable_dc=2

I created the wiki page on the arch wiki with everything I've learned over the past week about that laptop (love it): https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Lenovo_ThinkPad_X1_Yoga_(Gen_6)

Replies(4)
Answer
Options

2 Posts

06-17-2021

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 2 of 5

Re:X1 Yoga Gen 6 - lag and graphical artifacts on Linux when display scaling is used

2021-06-17, 14:46 PM

Hey neilbaner, I've recently received an X1 yoga gen 6 too and I experienced the same issues.

Although (I think!) I've managed to find a workaround if you're still searching and interested!

It seems to be related to the power saving feature of the i915 module (the video card driver), and it's possible to tweak it such that the problem disappears. That tweaking might have a negative impact on the power consumption but that's probably what's best while we wait for an upstream fix.

So this fixed it for me, pass the following parameter to the kernel: i915.enable_dc=2

I created the wiki page on the arch wiki with everything I've learned over the past week about that laptop (love it): https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Lenovo_ThinkPad_X1_Yoga_(Gen_6)

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

2 Posts

06-01-2021

Singapore

3 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 3 of 5

2021-06-18, 3:55 AM

My goodness... it does seem to work! I'm not using Arch at the moment (between posting and now, I had settled on Fedora 34 with kernel 5.11), but I updated the kernel and tried this and it works perfectly.

Harrrrggh... now I have to try Arch again. Why am I like this?

Thanks for the tip!

Options

529 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

408 Signins

4426 Page Views

• Views: 4426
  • Message 4 of 5

2021-06-18, 23:53 PM

So as a note this is related to the PSR2 (panel self refresh feature) and in particular the DC3CO piece (which I did find out about from the Intel engineers but can't find my notes on..)

Details of the upstream fix available here for those interested: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/intel/-/issues/3134

The fix is in Ubuntu and Fedora and I'm sure it will get picked up in other distro's soon. The workaround of disabling psr2 from the bootargs is solid in the meantime.

Mark

Options

2 Posts

06-17-2021

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2021-06-19, 8:15 AM
Amazing, thanks!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)