US

73 Signins

784 Page Views

• Views: 784
  • Message 411 of 450

Re:[X1C6/T480s] low cTDP and trip temperature in Linux

2020-06-22, 18:10 PM

@ NariOX wrote:

@Dirdi My MX150 will still freak out if it reaches over 80C, this is done in firmware (I believe). While my CPU has been "fixed", I still have a system that I cannot use to the 94C specified by nvidia. 

Today, I got my hands on a T480 with a dedicated NVIDIA GeForce MX150. I ran a GPU benchmark for about an hour and the system was stable at ~91°C GPU and ~95°C CPU:

Screenshot of Temperatures During Benchmark

The CPU was constantly running at ~2.4 GHz during the benchmark (I did not run a CPU benchmark concurrently but I suspect it would have been stable at over 2 GHz, since the fan did not even spun up to max RPM while the GPU was completely utilized). I can only assume that you and others who are still affected by this bug did somehow not properly configure their systems. FWIW, here is my config for the T480 running Debian testing:

Install necessary packages:

sudo apt install thermald nvidia-driver primus-nvidia

/etc/thermald/thermal-conf.xml:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<!-- BEGIN -->

<ThermalConfiguration>

<Platform>

<Name>T480</Name>

<ProductName>20L6S4PU1G</ProductName>

<Preference>PERFORMANCE</Preference>

</Platform>

</ThermalConfiguration>

<!-- END -->

/etc/systemd/system/thermald.service:

[Unit]

Description=Thermal Daemon Service

[Service]

Type=dbus

SuccesitStatus=1

BusName=org.freedesktop.thermald

ExecStart=/usr/sbin/thermald --no-daemon --dbus-enable --workaround-enabled

[Install]

WantedBy=multi-user.target

Alias=dbus-org.freedesktop.thermald.service

@adrianf0: As has already been pointed out by others, Lenovo employee @MarkRHPearson already announced that there will be no firmware workaround for the T480. How many times do you expect him to repeat his announcement? And why do you ask for a firmware workaround for a bug that has been fixed month ago by Intel? Just configure your system properly and enjoy its full potential (see above).

For the record: As of today there is no longer a need for a firmware workaround for the T480 and probably most other devices that were affected by this bug, cf. my previous post.

Options

1 Posts

10-22-2019

DE

8 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 412 of 450

2020-06-22, 18:19 PM

I am afraid there are different situations where this issue manifests. For example I am happily running my T580 connected to the charger sitting on my desk at full speed without throttling. But if you put in the the docking station or use it "on your lap" (may incorrectly recognized as such) there will be severe throttling, no matter the setup with thermald. Just to be clear, this does not happen in windows with the Lenovo thermal drivers installed.

Options

40 Posts

01-14-2017

US

73 Signins

784 Page Views

• Message 413 of 450

2020-06-22, 18:27 PM

@ ubioli wrote:

I am afraid there are different situations where this issue manifests. For example I am happily running my T580 connected to the charger sitting on my desk at full speed without throttling. But if you put in the the docking station or use it "on your lap" (may incorrectly recognized as such) there will be severe throttling, no matter the setup with thermald. Just to be clear, this does not happen in windows with the Dell thermal drivers installed.

That is weird, I did the GPU benchmark while the T480 was docked to a ThinkPad Ultra Dock. However, I did neither run benchmarks on battery nor without being docked. Would you mind sharing your configuration and logs with us, maybe together we are able to identify the problem.

Options

37 Posts

11-02-2012

US

57 Signins

329 Page Views

• Views: 329
  • Message 414 of 450

2020-06-22, 19:14 PM

Not sure if there is some image posting etiquette here, but here's what I have. My GPU is going normally until it reaches 80C, then it limits the clock to about 300MHz, the fans get locked at 4000RPM until reboot.

I am using the latest BIOS (1.3.4), thermald as configured by Dirdi and the original 65W power supply. 

GWE screenshot when GPU reaches 80C
Options

40 Posts

01-14-2017

US

73 Signins

784 Page Views

• Message 415 of 450

2020-06-22, 21:05 PM

@NariOX since you also run a T480, I think we should be able to get this working. By your previous posts I recognized that you are an experienced Linux user, so please forgive me asking you some "dumb" questions, but I want to rule out the obvious pitfalls, before investigating further:

• Do other values than the "Current Temp" of "nvidia-smi -q | grep -i temp" output change while you utilize your GPU?

Temperature

GPU Current Temp            : 91 C

GPU Shutdown Temp           : 102 C

GPU Slowdown Temp           : 97 C

GPU Max Operating Temp      : 94 C

• Does output of "sudo rdmsr -f 29:24 -d 0x1a2" change?
  • Have you uninstalled "throttled"?
  • Have you double checked that you created and are using a custom "thermald.service" file in "/etc/systemd/system/" to which you added the "--workaround-enabled" option at the "ExecStart=" line?
  • Does the "ProductName" line in the "thermal-conf.xml" file exactly match your T480 model?
  • Have you run "sudo systemctl status thermald.service" and checked that "thermald" is running?
  • Are your running thermald version 2.1 or newer?
  • Have you stopped "tlp.service"?
  • Are you running NVIDIA driver version 440.82 or newer?
  • Have you tried running your X session using the integrated GPU (Intel driver) and only utilizing the MX150 by running certain applications (like games, video editing software etc.) through "primusrun"?
  • Do you got the "tp-smapi-dkms" package installed?
  • Have you blacklisted the nouveau driver?

Note that some points, like disabling TLP or installing tp-smapi-dkms, should to the best of my knowledge have no effect on this, but I suggest you resemble my config as close as possible and then work backwards to identify what causes throttling.

Options

260 Posts

07-22-2019

CA

260 Signins

2446 Page Views

• Views: 2446
  • Message 416 of 450

2020-06-23, 0:16 AM

Hi @theLiminator 

Apologies - I missed your post earlier this month. So what I think is happening in your case is lapmode is kicking in - 14.5W is the default power in lap mode (I'm not sure about the 12W though - that's just weird...).  Are you moving the laptop or doing anything that might trigger it? If you think that isn't the case I think I can send you an updated thinkpad_acpi.c code that you can build and it gives you access to more information (parts of it are  in the process of being upstreamed, parts of it will hit the kernel mailing lists soon). Let me know if that is of interest.

@adrianf0 - Afraid there is no thermal firmware update for the T480. The thermal team have told me it has an older design that cannot be updated.  

The best solution I know of is likely to be the reverse engineering DPTF thermald solution Matthew Garrett is working on and it looks like he's making good progress, https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/54923.html

Have you checked that out? I tried it and helped out a few weeks ago on testing it on the X1C7 and it still needed work but it looks like there have been a bunch of updates and if it doesn't work on the T480 then contributing some acpidumps might helps. I don't have a T480 myself to try but I will ask my colleague to give it a go when he's able to

Anybody - If I've missed anything in the posts please let me know. It's a bit hectic right now preparing to get the websales enabled but issues like this are important. My apologies for the slow replies.

For anybody new to this thread the older platforms that got the thermal updated firmware are: T490, T490s, X1 Yoga4, X1 Carbon7, P53, P1G2, X1Extreme2, X390, P73 (hopefully I haven't missed any...). 

Mark

Options

37 Posts

11-02-2012

US

57 Signins

329 Page Views

• Views: 329
  • Message 417 of 450

2020-06-23, 13:43 PM

Hi @Dirdi, please, don't mind me, even if it is for my embarrassment, I'd rather figure out what is wrong.

I do feel I must be missing something obvious.

Let's see:

• My `nvidia-smi` doesn't show anything odd:

Temperature GPU Current Temp : 77 C

GPU Shutdown Temp : 102 C

GPU Slowdown Temp : 97 C

GPU Max Operating Temp : 94 C

• `sudo rdmsr -f 29:24 -d 0x1a2` reports `5`, so critical temp is 95C, all clear here.
  • I haven't uninstalled it, but I tried with it disabled and rebooted before reporting here. No change.
  • My thermald service was modified to include the `--workaround-enabled`, and my `thermal-conf.xml`and `thermal-conf.xml.auto` both are copied from your post, but with the product name changed to mine (acquired with ` sudo dmidecode | grep -e "Product Name"`, which reports `Product Name: 20L5CTO1WW`)* `thermald` is running. It does report a warning

thermald[7984]: [1592918783][WARN]sysfs open failed

but I don't know if that means anything. Running it with `loglevel=info` gives that the error is from:

[1592918735][INFO]sysfs read failed constraint_0_max_power_uw

• Running `thermald` version 2.2* Also tried with `tlp` disabled and enabled after reboots.
  • Running NVIDIA 440.82* I have tested with `bumblebee`, with `nvidia-xrun` and with using PRIME offloading. Same results.
  • I didn't have `tp_smapi` installed, but I thought this was only for older thinkpads (before T420 era). I did install it, but no difference (`tp_smapi` and `thinkpad_ec` refuse to load anyway). I do have `tpacpi-bat` installed and the module `thinkpad_acpi` loaded.
  • Yes, `nouveau` is blacklisted and is not mentioned on `dmesg`.

One thing I did notice is that if I run `dptfxtract`, the generated `thermal-conf.xml.auto` only has `<Preference>QUIET</Preference>`, but no `PERFORMANCE` preference. But I have set all options to `performance` on the BIOS and even on the Windows install that I keep in an external drive.

I have also tried with the laptop flat on the table and with it where I have it normally (a stand, where it is probably around 70 degrees inclined up). I do have the extended battery, so it doesn't quite stay all the way down to the table, but that shouldn't be a problem, right?

Are you using `ACPI_OSI` kernel parameter?

@MarkRHPearson: do you have any insight on the MX150 80C limit? Does the extended battery or power supply affect it? Also, the fans go to 4000RPM when I reach this throttled state, whereas they don't go beyond 3600RPM under normal instances (even when the CPU is above 90C).I am also interested in looking at the new `thinkpad_acpi.c` code, and I'm willing to provide info if requested. I have looked at MJG59's blog post and repo, but it seemed he had plenty of dumps to work on, do you think I should still send him mine?

Options

16 Posts

09-30-2019

SK

25 Signins

160 Page Views

• Views: 160
  • Message 418 of 450

2020-06-23, 14:19 PM

Controlling fans IMHO best done using thinkfan and a patched kernel as outlined here: https://github.com/vmatare/thinkfan/issues/58

Kernel v5.8rc1 already contains the patch for dual fans on recent thinkpads.

Options

14 Posts

06-06-2018

CH

28 Signins

252 Page Views

• Views: 252
  • Message 419 of 450

2020-06-23, 16:11 PM

@Dirdi Regarding your questions: I needed a clear statement regarding T480 platform from the Lenovo employee. I also disagree with you, and IMHO the bug is not fixed. As you see some T480 users, including myself are still affected. And yes, I don't mind to spend 15 minutes to configure an officially supported operating system if I had a clear guidance from Lenovo. It's not a case.

@MarkRHPearson Thank you for your explicit clarification regarding T480 platform. Today I spend half day trying different options from this thread. I have tried thermald v2.2 from Intel. Under heavy load (s-tui) the CPU is throttled to 200MHz. I followed @Dirdi 's (thanks @Dirdi !) recommendation the same problem. I have tried master version of Matthew Garrett repository, the problem is still there. In both cases I tried @Dirdi configuration adjusted to my machine (20L6S04200) and the one generated by dptfxtract. I have impression that in my case the temperature is always kept around 70 degree. All the test have been performed with ThinkPad Utlra docking station.

Options

2 Posts

10-03-2019

US

4 Signins

49 Page Views

• Views: 49
  • Message 420 of 450

2020-06-23, 16:22 PM

@MarkRHPearson I can't find a 'recommended solution' for my 6th gen X1C neither. Sounds like we are not getting the firmware update; so what is the 'official workaround' as of now? 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete