Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erms
What's DOS?
Views: 5,793
Message 81 of 139

Re: [X1C6/T480s] low cTDP and trip temperature in Linux

Same problem here.
Very dissatisfied with lenovo's disregard for its customers.

jnWibble
Punch Card
Views: 5,756
Message 82 of 139

I think that while low 'trip' temperatures are part of the cause of throttling at boot, in my case poor thermal paste was a factor too. (The worse the paste job, the more slowly is the heat conducted away from the processor; though why the fan does not start on boot is another - albeit related - matter.) I repasted my chip and I no longer see throttling on boot. (Is the pasting done in the factory inadequate, then? Probably, but I believe that all or most manufacturers use poor quality paste, and apply it in a bad, non-manual fashion, in order to save money.) If one does repaste one's chip, be careful: unless the paste is of a particularly unconductive type ('ceramic'), it can cause electrical shorts if it escapes the heatsink. For that reason, and for best effects on temperatures, one should use very little paste. Also, replace the black tape stuff that is over the CPU, if one can. It's there to stop the paste escaping the heatsink. (In my case, that material tore.)

jotenko
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,724
Message 83 of 139

@jnWibble wrote:

I think that while low 'trip' temperatures are part of the cause of throttling at boot, in my case poor thermal paste was a factor too. (The worse the paste job, the more slowly is the heat conducted away from the processor; though why the fan does not start on boot is another - albeit related - matter.) I repasted my chip and I no longer see throttling on boot. (Is the pasting done in the factory inadequate, then? Probably, but I believe that all or most manufacturers use poor quality paste, and apply it in a bad, non-manual fashion, in order to save money.) If one does repaste one's chip, be careful: unless the paste is of a particularly unconductive type ('ceramic'), it can cause electrical shorts if it escapes the heatsink. For that reason, and for best effects on temperatures, one should use very little paste. Also, replace the black tape stuff that is over the CPU, if one can. It's there to stop the paste escaping the heatsink. (In my case, that material tore.)

Will you please be so kind to post your former avg temps and current avg temps, mate?

jnWibble
Punch Card
Views: 5,715
Message 84 of 139

Well, to put it roughly - and I have only rough data - the CPU temperature at idle as dropped by some 10 (ten) degrees, from about 45 to 35C. Room temperature is perhaps somewhere between 15C and 20C. The laptop (X1CG6) had never been repasted before and I use the epalma 'throttle fix' software. Indeed I use the latter software to undervolt the CPU by 40mV (though I was doing that before the repaste as well).

EDIT: I edited this post, before, because I found that the temp suddently went up. It turns out that was due to Dropbox misbehaving. Now that I have fixed that (at least temporarily) the CPU temp is back to the 40s.

jnWibble
Punch Card
Views: 5,707
Message 85 of 139

Stress test, using s-tui, post-repaste, running the test for some thirty seconds: performance lost, 22%; max. temp 95C. EDIT: This holds for even when Dropbox is not malfunction (please see above).

Highlighted
jotenko
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,523
Message 86 of 139

Updated BIOS from 1.13 to 1.16. No (apparent) change. Getting these errors at boot time.

jnWibble
Punch Card
Views: 5,513
Message 87 of 139

Correction (but not a substantive one): 'This holds for even when Dropbox is not malfunction' should be, 'This holds for even when Dropbox is not malfunctioning.' (The site is no longer allowing me to edit the comment.)

estan
Paper Tape
Views: 5,198
Message 88 of 139

Same problem here on X1 Carbon 6th, UEFI BIOS 1.27:

[    0.000000] DMI: LENOVO 20KH007BMX/20KH007BMX, BIOS N23ET52W (1.27 ) 07/18/2018

Lots of

[269975.059148] mce: CPU7: Core temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 6825)
[269975.059148] mce: CPU3: Core temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 6825)
[269975.059150] mce: CPU3: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 10742)
[269975.059151] mce: CPU7: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 10742)
[269975.059187] mce: CPU0: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 10742)

and

$ sudo rdmsr -f 29:24 -d 0x1a2

I'm considering trying an update to a later BIOS like 1.28 since I see e.g.

<1.28>
 UEFI: 1.28 / ECP: 1.08
- (Fix) Improve power control.

in the change log, but I'd like to know if someone else is on a newer BIOS already and whether they still have the problem.

Lenove, please fix this ASAP. It's ridiculous that this issue has been open for so long without any action.

Lenovo Employee MarkRHPearson
Lenovo Employee
Views: 5,096
Message 89 of 139

My first post (and I feel like I'm throwing myself in the deep end) but this thread is long overdue an answer.

The good news: This problem is being very actively investigated and we (Lenovo) hope to have a solution soon.

The issue ultimately comes from Intels Dynamic Power and Thermal management framework  (DPTF) which is not supported in Linux. Intel has made a tool to extract DPTF configuration (dptfxtract) but it's limited in functionality and closed source.

We're working on a solution with a firmware update that we believe will make Linux behave the same way as Windows and not throttle your CPU as early as users are currently seeing in this thread. Unfortunately it's not a trivial issue to solve and there's still quite a bit of design and testing needed from the firmware team before it's ready for release.

I plan to post when we have fixes available or if I hear of any further details

Thx

Mark

jnWibble
Punch Card
Views: 5,006
Message 90 of 139

Understood. Thank you.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors