Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slowburnaz
Paper Tape
Views: 53,599
Message 1 of 47

Yoga 710 - How to install Linux?

Has anyone had any success installing any flavor of Linux on the new Yoga 710?  Try as I might, I can't get Linux to install properly...  it will install, but when trying to boot into Linux, it never completes.

I've tried Ubuntu 16.04, elementaryOS, and Fedora 24.

Help?

EricKerby
Paper Tape
Views: 53,459
Message 2 of 47

Re: Yoga 710 - How to install Linux?

Fedora 24 Workstation 64bit is working quite nicely for me. I wrote the ISO to a USB stick, booted off of it, confirmed the "live" version worked, installed in a dual boot config (I resized the existing Windows 10 partition first), and booted Fedora successfully. All the hardware (WiFi, touchscreen, trackpad, volume/brightness/etc keys, GPU acceleration) worked without any trouble. The only issue I've had is some problems with SecureBoot (conflicting with VirtualBox), which I finally disabled by booting into the BIOS through the Windows Recovery boot menu. Also a newer kernel I upgraded to is panicking on boot, but I think that has to do with a botched SecureBoot kernel module signing attempt.

I also tried Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, but it did not work as well since it has an older kernel that does not support the WiFi chipset and some other hardware.

Note: I have the 11in Yoga 710 model...do you have the 11in or 14in?

Here's a screenshot of my about screen in Fedora/GNOME: Screenshot from 2016-07-03 16-22-31.png

slowburnaz
Paper Tape
Views: 53,430
Message 3 of 47

Thanks for the reply, EricKerby.

I had the 15in version.  I had much more trouble than you, it sounds like.  Weird, since I've never had that kind of problem with Linux on any of my machines.

I ended up taking the laptop back after restoring it.  Along with this issue, I simply couldn't adapt to the way the right shift key is situated...  much too small, and I kept hitting the up arrow instead.  Went with a Samsung Notebook 7 Spin.  Much keyboard for my tastes.

nankanbob
Paper Tape
Views: 52,612
Message 4 of 47

I have the same problem running Fedora 24 on my 710-15ISK.

The system installed without any problem, but it hang frequently when booting. 
Sometimes it will take several reboots to get it work which is annoying and odd.  

Once the system is up, it works like a charm.  

nankanbob
Paper Tape
Views: 52,198
Message 5 of 47

It seems the problem is causing by firmware brcmfmac4350-pcie.bin of Broadcom BCM4350. 

I hope, the problem will be fixed soon.

ShamefulBog
Paper Tape
Views: 51,925
Message 6 of 47

I just got the 15" model and attempted an Arch Install, (no dualboot). I managed to boot into my openbox session a few times, but it would fail to boot to my DM after every reboot and I would only get to the DM by random chance. 

justincohler
Paper Tape
Views: 51,319
Message 7 of 47

Same problem here. I created a USB boot drive (twice) with Ubuntu 16.04 and Fedora 24. I shrunk the Windows 10 partition before installing and rebooted off the USB drive. Both attempts (Ubuntu and Fedora) froze on install. I also tried "Try Ubuntu without Installing" and even that failed to startup.

I have the Lenovo Yoga 710 15" (i5, 256GB SSD).

stephengaunt
What's DOS?
Views: 51,235
Message 8 of 47

I have the same problem too. I bought the model Lenovo Yoga 710 15" (i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD). Not even able to boot from live USB. After disabling the flash screen (using nomodeset), I could see the error 'general protection fault' multiple times.

It is stuck after the install menu. Tried Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu Gnome 16.04, Ubuntu 14.04, Fedora 24. Same problem in everything. I have disabled the Secure Boot and Fast Boot too.

justincohler
Paper Tape
Views: 51,065
Message 9 of 47

I was finally able to install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS by enabling the legacy boot in the BIOS settings, rather than UEFI. I created a bootable USB drive with Rufus with Ubuntu 16.04, and the install went fine. 

I installed with the following partitions:

- 128GB Windows partition

- 10GB root partition

- 10GB swap partition

- 2MB BIOS partition

- Remainder for the /home partition

The only issue I've seen is that I had to restart once when Ubuntu startup failed. On second restart, all is ok. 

idagroup
Paper Tape
Views: 51,022
Message 10 of 47

Hello Eric, 

how is the battery life with Fedora? ..also did you ever try vmware, Virtualbox or any other virtualization, and if so; how did it perform?

Thanks much!

Robin

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors