Options

7 Posts

08-12-2016

US

12 Signins

115 Page Views

• Views: 115
  • Message 91 of 394

Re: Yoga 900-13ISK2 - BIOS update for setting RAID mode for missing hard drive on linux install

2016-08-15, 19:18 PM

Hi Amy,

do you have any updates on when (or if) Lenovo will make such a BIOS available?

I too bought a Yoga 900 13ISK2. I would like to keep the machine but I MUST have Linux on it (all my work is on Linux). I will have to return the device if I can't do so.

Sincerely,

Guillaume.

Options

2 Posts

08-17-2016

AU

17 Signins

184 Page Views

• Views: 184
  • Message 92 of 394

Re: Yoga 900-13ISK2 - BIOS update for setting RAID mode for missing hard drive on linux install

2016-08-17, 5:57 AM
I'd also like to add my name to this list. It's a great wee machine, but it's sorely missing support for installing alternative OSes. This isn't quite a deal-breaker for me but I am very, very keen to see it implemented.
Options

1 Posts

08-17-2016

FI

4 Signins

52 Page Views

• Views: 52
  • Message 93 of 394

2016-08-17, 13:54 PM

Dear Lenovo,

As all attempts to make you see the 'light' seem futile I will do my best to kick you where it hurts...

I am the decision maker in a mid-sized company and my annual workstation/laptop budget is about 200 - 300 000 euros (total IT budget being around 4 mEUR).

We update our hardware quite often and since the enterprise hardware usually has a lot of lifetime left we sell the used hardware to our employees for very low prices (local IRS forbids to just give away).

As the Windows is rather bloated OS we have always been proud to provide either fresh Linux or re-installed Windows installation to the purchased hardware after wiping SSDs. Majority (~80%) of the installations are Linux because it just works better on 2-3 year old hardware.

We luckily tested the Yoga business edition prior to placing a bigger order hence leading to a situation that Lenovo is no longer considered the recycling friendly manufacturer.

Yes, I did escalate this issue to Lenovo Service Desk (3y NBD support) and got a reply that Lenovo does not support 'modding' of its hardware - and that's final. **bleep**? There is a bug on the BIOS!

So since last May I made the decision to stop purchasing Lenovo laptops. We are now testing Dell XPS & Latitude series as we actually care about this Planet.

You know... customer is always right.

Options

15 Posts

08-20-2016

AU

56 Signins

446 Page Views

• Views: 446
  • Message 94 of 394

2016-08-20, 13:06 PM

Just wanted to add another request for this!

I purchased the Yoga 900 on the basis I had read that it ran well with Linux, which it does (I'm using it right now*)

Unfortunately with the -13ISK2 version the installer can't see the solid state drive... now maybe this is something that a future Linux kernel can deal with, but right now access to the AHCI setting would help - or at least an explanation as to why this would be a problem (and I know for certain just renabling that page in the BIOS would be half a days work).  Maybe the drive is striped or something that would cause other issues.  Either way an explanation would be good.

Using Windows 10 is not the end of the world, but Windows has not been my preferred OS for nearly a decade, and running Linux in a VM is kind of a waste of resources when it would run just fine natively.

(*) Kubuntu 16.04 works great (that's the KDE spin of Ubuntu).  Touch screen, touch pad, Bluetooth, WiFi, camera, function buttons.  All good.  Just can't see the HD.  Booting from USB just not a great solution what with using up a port and wasting that nice PCI disk... no this is not an EFI issue, Ubuntu is signed.

Options

1 Posts

08-20-2016

US

2 Signins

26 Page Views

• Views: 26
  • Message 95 of 394

2016-08-20, 19:42 PM

I registered here to also add my name to the list of unsatisified customers. I require the use of linux for work and purchased your product as it had some of the best specs in its price range only to find out that I can not use it for what I need.

My bigger concern however is with the fact that your company seems to think it is acceptable build a device and lock the owner out of whatever settings or options you deem necessary. Since I am unable to return this product I will most likely be forced to attempt and sell it at a loss on my end to purchase a device that supports my needs unless a fix is made available soon.

I am only one person so I doubt it matters but even if a solution is provided this is undoubtedly the last Lenovo product I will ever purchase as this problem should not even be something that existed in the first place.

Options

5 Posts

08-21-2016

US

8 Signins

180 Page Views

• Views: 180
  • Message 96 of 394

2016-08-21, 22:36 PM

I too registered to post my deep concern with this issue.  The inability to see the included hard drive on the installation screens of any operating system, whether it's a modern, mature Linux distribution or a native, clean Windows reinstallation, is a gravely serious issue.  I was an early adopter, purchasing the 900S-12ISK the first day it was available because the hardware and form factor, along with active-pen support was the combination I had been looking for.  My intention was to install Fedora immediately after opening the box.  For the most part, it has been a really expensive paperweight.  Had I known I would not be able to use the SSD for Linux partions, being forced to use the buggy, unintuitive Windows 10, there is absolutely no way I would have purchased this product!

The inability to charge the device via the USB-C port, forcing me to carry a bulky, proprietary power adapter, is another huge gripe against this device...but that's another topic for another board.

Options

1 Posts

08-23-2016

US

4 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 97 of 394

2016-08-23, 20:39 PM

Pretty ridiculous that I can't even upgrade my laptop's OS. Nothing outside of the pre-installed Windows OS will detect the SSD. Please update the BIOS Firmware Lenovo...

Options

3 Posts

08-08-2016

US

17 Signins

199 Page Views

• Views: 199
  • Message 98 of 394

2016-08-24, 20:09 PM

IS there SERIOUSLY no reply to this from the staff. WHAT IS THE PROGRESS UPDATE TO THIS??? UNACCEPTABLE.

Not being able to install any OS on a machine that could potentially get infected.... From an IT perspective, I am pretty sure this is liable to a degree of negligence. You should look into this LENOVO! we will not be taking this garbage lightly much longer. You have 3 other models with the same issues posted in these threads with 1000's of views, and 100's of replies. Keep us in the dark? For what reason? WHAT IS THE PROGRESS? To not support linux is one thing, to not support any installation of any OS, well, I guess I will be doing research on the legality of this. 

Mod edit:  From the guidelines:  It is acceptable to state concern for how a particular Lenovo policy, performance, or procedure does or does not meet the expectation of a particular member, but it is not acceptable to use this forum in an attempt to broadly organize or incite members en mass, to cancel orders, return systems, undertake legal action or otherwise disrupt the normal business processes of Lenovo.

Options

7 Posts

08-12-2016

US

12 Signins

115 Page Views

• Views: 115
  • Message 99 of 394

2016-08-26, 16:39 PM

To the moderator:

I understand that you have rules on this forum, but instead of trying to stop people from expressing their legitimate frustration on this issue, how about you get Lenovo to do something about it?

It seems that a Lenovo employee (Amy?) posted on this thread. But no updates for weeks. You say:

" It is acceptable to state concern for how a particular Lenovo policy, performance, or procedure does or does not meet the expectation of a particular member"

Great. Many "particular" members have expressed the same concern. And they feel Lenovo does not care about it. Yes, people will get frustrated.

Options

10 Posts

08-26-2016

US

26 Signins

295 Page Views

• Views: 295
  • Message 100 of 394

2016-08-26, 21:16 PM

Amy,

There are some of us who are fans of the product, looking for a solution, and waiting patiently. We don't generally speak up, but in this case I felt it was necessary. Other responders have resorted to mob-like tantrums and manipulative rhetoric -- something that is entirely inappropriate at least and at best not helpful. 

Please remember the rest of us who are waiting patiently and (mostly) quietly for a solution.

I do need to say, however, that the issue is a real issue. Even if it wasn't intended, the effect is that a once reliable source of Linux-friendly systems has disregarded some of its biggest fans in their decision to remove user choice in the firmware options. For some, such as myself, this isn't just a matter of convenience or hobby interest. I use my Linux systems to earn a living. Having to tote around an external SSD just do to that has completely watered down the reasons that I chose Yoga 900 for my travel system.

Please let me know if you have any news on a BIOS update or other remedy. I would be happy to do an install test on my ISK2 and report back to this forum my experiences with different distributions.

Sincerely,
J

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete