Options

1 Posts

08-28-2016

US

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 111 of 394

Re: Yoga 900-13ISK2 - BIOS update for setting RAID mode for missing hard drive on linux install

2016-08-28, 3:48 AM

I dont know if this help but seems like there are struggles with the configuration affecting clean installs of windows 10 also.

See http://www.ramk.net/2016/07/yoga-900-windows-10-clean-install.html

The above website provide insight into how to prepare a special installation to get a clean windows installation to go forward.

I am very hopeful that Lenovo provides a suitable bios update, I have a 13isk and 13isk2 and would really like to convert the 13isk2 to linux.

-Aaron

Options

6 Posts

08-21-2016

US

8 Signins

180 Page Views

• Views: 180
  • Message 112 of 394

Re: Yoga 900-13ISK2 - BIOS update for setting RAID mode for missing hard drive on linux install

2016-08-28, 15:53 PM

Does anyone know of discussion on this matter and possible workarounds on the forums or bug trackers of any Linux distribution? While it is clear that the root cause of the problem and ultimate solution is on Lenovo, perhaps putting more irons in the fire may help us to a quicker solution.  

Unless my search skills are deficient (very possible), a quick look through the Fedora forum yields nothing directly pertinent to our discussion here. No discussion of NVMe, RAID, and our 900-13ISK2 and 900S-121SK models not seeing the installed SSDs.  I will register there and describe the situation as best as possible with links to the discussions on this forum later tonight.

Is there anything on the site of your favorite distro?

Options

5 Posts

06-05-2016

AU

25 Signins

97 Page Views

• Views: 97
  • Message 113 of 394

2016-08-28, 16:05 PM

Not quite the workaround you're after, but: You can boot Linux from an external hard drive (the SSD from my old Yoga 2 pro in a USB housing works) and I've also found Microsoft's "Bash on Windows" thing to be pretty good while waiting for Linux to be supported properly. Can't use a tiling WM or anything, but on the command line it seems just like running Ubuntu.

Options

58 Posts

06-30-2012

US

125 Signins

2100 Page Views

• Views: 2100
  • Message 114 of 394

2016-08-28, 21:17 PM

One of my buddies just bought this laptop for work (he's a software engineer, so his job uses Linux only).

I tried helping him set it up because my company also only uses Linux (it's also another major tech company that you would recognize by name).

It was very frustrating that the laptop couldn't detect the drive/SSD because of soft-locked RAID issues?!

Obviously, I couldn't help him install Linux on it because it's completely out of my control -- short of reverse engineering the BIOS, there is really nothing I can do -- Only Lenovo can help us, and it looks like Lenovo just needs to release a small BIOS update to fix this. In the end, he had to return it, and I recommended him an X1 Carbon, a T460, or a P50 instead (he really wanted the Yoga 900 though).

Is this something that Lenovo is working on? If not, can you please prioritize this? My sister also has the Yoga 900, and she is interested in using Linux on it as well. My P50 is a really excellent laptop, and of course, I'm using Linux Mint on it!!!

If you could give us an ETA for when to expect a small BIOS update that allows us to install Linux on our rather-expensive purchases, please just let us know.

Options

9 Posts

07-27-2016

PL

27 Signins

266 Page Views

• Views: 266
  • Message 115 of 394

2016-09-01, 12:19 PM

@Amy_Lenovo - do you have any updates on this problem? Any ETA of new BIOS? Have to know something...

Options

19 Posts

04-11-2014

AT

31 Signins

434 Page Views

• Views: 434
  • Message 116 of 394

2016-09-01, 12:48 PM

If you look on yer profile, you will see that she is active and not on very long holidays.

So, it's pretty clear that she is not allowed to respond, because the answer will be dissapointing for all of us.

Lenovo don't care....

Options

15 Posts

08-20-2016

AU

56 Signins

446 Page Views

• Views: 446
  • Message 117 of 394

2016-09-01, 14:07 PM

I'm not terribly skilled with dealing with RAID stuff, but I've tried Ubuntu 16.04 (4.4 kernel) and Arch (4.6) and neither 'dmraid' or 'mdadm' (the Intel tool) can find the drive - I can see the RAID controller, just not the drive.

Nothing shows up in /dev/md or /dev/nvme.

I've read a quite a few forum posts about people trying to get similar (but not identical) setups running and most of the workarounds involve setting the BIOS disk access mode to AHCI (which brings us all back to here).

I'm a little out of the loop as far as the Windows RAID tools go, but maybe there is something to be discovered by examining the configuration details from that side - I did find one blog (linked by someone here) about doing a clean install of Windows which has some leads to follow.

Options

7 Posts

08-10-2016

CH

15 Signins

208 Page Views

• Views: 208
  • Message 118 of 394

2016-09-04, 11:39 AM

I tried to find a solution on the kernel side, so I'd like to share my approaches so far..

First I set the mode on the pci register of the SATA controller to ACPI and rescanned the pci buses, but with no luck. It is not recommended to modify the pci register on runtime (at least the INTEL manual states that), so I'm not sure if it got changed all correctly, but lspci showed the sata mode correctly and after rescanning all the pci devices, I still couldn't find the disc. So I tried the same with the latest kernel (unstable ubuntu from git 4.8.0-6) to see, if something has changed in the nvme driver, but it's kind of difficult playing around, becuase it's buggy and the system crashes a lot..

Another thing I tried is to add the vendor id of the disc to the nvme pci device list, so it gets treated correctly by the nvme driver (I guess this should usually happen over a wildcard pattern, but the disc might doesn't match that pattern).. The thing is, that the disc should be plugged in at pci express slot, so it should be shown in lspci if it's powered correctly. That means that the approach with the nvme driver is useless as long as the device isn't powered on and therefor shown in lspci. I'm now trying to power on this specific pci slot somehow, but I'm not really making any progress..

What I'm trying to say is, that I'm not sure a BIOS update will fix the problem, but a disc change might does. Although I'm not willing to give this a try, before that I'll try somehow to return the device or sell it somewhere else.. Maybe Lenovo knows this already and is not responding, because they can't fix the problem.

I'm not very experienced operating on this level, which means I'm not sure if all of what I wrote makes sense (or any ;)), but you can't blame me for trying..

Options

9 Posts

07-27-2016

PL

27 Signins

266 Page Views

• Views: 266
  • Message 119 of 394

2016-09-08, 6:45 AM

@anon47y

you probably need to have mkinitcpio (or initrframs) hooks like mdadm mdadm_udev and dmraid .

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/mkinitcpio#Using_RAID

I don't know what hooks unstable ubuntu have.

You can check you RAID status with:

mdadm --detail-platform

and for me it is showing at ports that there are no device attached.

As long as I see this message I know that I can't install linux.

I had similar problem with Dell XPS13 I think, and then changing HOOKS did the trick.

With Yoga 900S whatever I tried to do, I always end up without success...

Options

1 Posts

09-07-2016

US

3 Signins

8 Page Views

• Views: 8
  • Message 120 of 394

2016-09-08, 16:13 PM

What's required to inspire companies like this to support Linux ? I'm on the Lenovo Yoga Pro 2, and while I like the form and of the series, I will not downgrade to Windows. For some reason, this feels similar to the situation among some Android manufacturers blocking the install of custom ("rooted") ROMs.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete