Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

07-22-2016

Sweden

16 Signins

128 Page Views

• Views: 128
  • Message 201 of 394

Re: Yoga 900-13ISK2 - BIOS update for setting RAID mode for missing hard drive on linux install

2016-09-21, 13:42 PM

Unfortunately this thread caught attention for the wrong reasons.

The statement "several weeks to several months" is not going to be altered by any single person or group being conspirative, threatening or disruptive in these forums.

This is likely one of the hottest threads on this forum right now, to some extent, due to an unproportional low degree of attention from Lenovos staff. The actual attention that it got from the customers is, on the contrary, for all the right reasons. Fixing this issue should have high priority if this company have ambitions to keep it's good reputation within the rapidly growing Linux community.

Being "conspirative" here refers to stating a fairly likely scenario where a company uses its resources to create an unfair advantage in a competative market. Not sure if this fails to fall within the realms of your guidelines.
Options

14 Posts

08-27-2015

Russian Federation

78 Signins

527 Page Views

• Views: 527
  • Message 202 of 394

Re: Yoga 900-13ISK2 - BIOS update for setting RAID mode for missing hard drive on linux install

2016-09-21, 14:24 PM
Andy, I wonder if you are more happy with thousands of people who bashing Lenovo on reddit because of this issue that can be fixed by your engineers in like 30 seconds.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/53ri0m/warning_microsoft_signature_pc_program_now/

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/53rq2l/warning_microsoft_signature_pc_program_now/

Do really think that more bad publicity among IT community is what your employer wanted? Maybe it's better to push for issue solution?
Options

7 Posts

09-21-2016

Israel

15 Signins

194 Page Views

• Views: 194
  • Message 203 of 394

2016-09-21, 14:54 PM

OMG

My yoga2 was stolen and I bought this isk12 without knowing that it has this defect!  I have to have Linux for my job! This is a very expensive machine! You cannot act like this to your customers. This is outrageous I am so mad. This windows 10 sucks!  I can never code on this **bleep** OS. You have to do something! My God!!!!

Options

10 Posts

06-27-2016

United States of America

26 Signins

242 Page Views

• Views: 242
  • Message 204 of 394

2016-09-21, 15:34 PM
Hi Amy,

I mostly agree with you: we should all be civil and address this issue politely.

You said that the fix would probably be available after "several week or months", but now (https://m.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/53ri0m/warning_microsoft_signature_pc_program_now/?utm_source=mweb_redirect&compact=true) it seems it won't be fixed at all, which is very disappointing.

Is that true? Will my laptop will be locked forever and the BIOS won't be fixed? According to http://www.zdnet.com/article/lenovo-reportedly-blocking-linux-on-windows-10-signature-edition-pcs/ that's not the case and we have still hope, however fading.

I hope this is really a mistake and my laptop will be allowed to switch to other mode. Some daredevil has reportedly accomplished it.

So, Amy, what I really need is a single sentence from Lenovo. Something like "While we cannot given an exact ETA, we will definitively update the BIOS within the next 10 months so that current Linux kernels can find the SSD and, thus, let our customers to install Linux, if the want to".

That's all we want from Lenovo.

Bests regards,
Manuel.
Options

7 Posts

09-21-2016

Israel

15 Signins

194 Page Views

• Views: 194
  • Message 205 of 394

2016-09-21, 15:54 PM

The actions of your company is damaging people's ability to work. Buying a very expensive machine is a series business, it involves a lot of resources. Your policy hurts people.

Options

18 Posts

06-19-2016

United States of America

151 Signins

950 Page Views

• Views: 950
  • Message 206 of 394

2016-09-21, 15:58 PM

Thought this response from Lenovo was interesting. http://www.techrepublic.com/article/lenovo-denies-deliberately-blocking-linux-on-windows-10-pcs/

Options

1 Posts

09-21-2016

Argentina

4 Signins

63 Page Views

• Views: 63
  • Message 207 of 394

2016-09-21, 16:05 PM

Andy,

If after spending more than a thousand dollars, I unexpectedly had to wait "several weeks to several months" from the time of purchase of a Lenovo machine until I can use it for work, I would be really mad at Lenovo.

Thankfully, I usually buy Dell, so I don't have this problem, but I can understand the frustration of your customers: not only the cannot use their own machine, that they already paid for, to work, or to do whatever pleases them, in accordance to the commonly held expectation that you are free to install another OS if you so decide on any PC, but they are also not able to decide whether to sell the machine at a loss in order cut their losses, or hold to the machine in hope that the problem will be fixed, because Lenovo does not have a clear ETA for the fix.

As for me, if this problem is not fixed quickly, I will avoid Lenovo because I am a Linux user, and since I work with a lot of people who need to use Linux for work, I will share this information. I hope Lenovo will understand that this is not a minor issue and prioritize it accordingly so that it can be solved in a matter of days, not months or years - someone even complained about being unable to install Windows 10 Pro, which might be more mainstream than Linux.

Best regards,

Carlos Moran

Options

2 Posts

09-21-2016

United States of America

6 Signins

48 Page Views

• Views: 48
  • Message 208 of 394

2016-09-21, 17:36 PM

EDIT: didn't work yet

I THINK I FOUND A SOLUTION!

Can someone please try this command while booted into a Linux installer, to force set PCI register to ahci? It is the same exact operation that the BIOS does internally.

(As root)

setpci -d 8086:282a 90.b=40

then check dmesg for a disk

It will need to be run every boot, by putting setpci static binary in initramfs and this code in some script. I'll let someone else do that part. 

Options

18 Posts

06-19-2016

United States of America

151 Signins

950 Page Views

• Views: 950
  • Message 209 of 394

2016-09-21, 18:42 PM

Just wanted to respond here because it's a cleaner format. It appears that the kernel already tries to run the pci with an ahci driver, and that's still unsuccessful. I'm not positive what this command is trying to do, but if it's trying to switch the kernel driver, it looks like this already happens automatically. 

Options

86 Posts

09-08-2016

United States of America

52 Signins

2661 Page Views

• Views: 2661
  • Message 210 of 394

2016-09-21, 18:57 PM

Matthew Garrett made a post:

https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/44694.html

I like how he admits he doesn't know for sure and then speculates that it may be related to power management.

But then he insists that it's not Lenovo trying to lock out other operating systems. How does he know?

Even if the device would get worse battery life (which we don't know that it would, and nobody who booted up Linux on the ISK model or Live on the ISK2 reported their laptop "melting"), it should be up to the user.

He says that if his hunch is right, it's a cheap hack to work around lousy power management in the default Windows storage driver, and Lenovo probably did it to prevent a user from ending up toggling it in the BIOS setup program by mistake and ending up with Windows not booting, or lousy power management if it did.

If it was to prevent a clueless user from ending up in that situation where Windows wouldn't boot if they toggled it to AHCI mode, then why did Lenovo write code to make sure that if you used an EFI variable to set it, that it would switch it back to RAID? Is a user that doesn't know what they're doing likely to be in the EFI shell?

Do we know Linux has lousy power management like Windows does? I don't think we know that at this point.

It would be nice if we could install Linux and test the hypothesis out, but unfortunately, *someone* made sure that we can't install Linux and see.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms