Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

06-21-2016

United States of America

36 Signins

329 Page Views

• Views: 329
  • Message 231 of 394

Re: Yoga 900-13ISK2 - BIOS update for setting RAID mode for missing hard drive on linux install

2016-09-22, 5:06 AM

What I understood from the post was the hinge is the problem, so funny! :))

Referring to hinge every other line, doesn't make an excuse! There is a touch screen and wether it turns or not is a mechanical matter not computer! 

When you are responding to a forum that users are looking for linux, it means most of them have more than usual interaction with computer, so first of all when we install linux we know there could be some driver issues and we would manage it ourselves, you can simply say you don't support linux, so you won't answer any questions about linux. "Our Yoga design requires very specific, complex and unique drivers that require even greater amounts of testing" could be super magical for typical users, but for us it could be just our job! We are not in old times that a software bug could break the hardware, there are some protection in hardware. Also as you see many people run the Linux on extra flash disk which uses every resource other than hard disk. And the one who hacked the bios fully utilized it. So don't be over "sympathetic" for us not to run into problems.

"Beyond the controller setup limitation, other advanced capabilities of the Yoga design would likely not work with current Linux offerings." First of all "would likely not" is the most untechnical terms I've heard for a long time! And as mentioned above, we know the problems and even many already have run it. You are saying you can either use all the features (which with windows bugs it is actually not a sure thing), or you can't use it at all.

Right now I have even doubt if someone wants to upgrade from windows 10 home to pro, he can do it easily or not. And if this signiture edition is a windows edition, what if someone buys his standalone windows license? due to this BIOS problem still they can't get those features even though their windows is not signiture.

To sum up don't pretend you solved the problem, this wording does not work for this forum.

M

Options

15 Posts

08-20-2016

Australia

56 Signins

446 Page Views

• Views: 446
  • Message 232 of 394

Re: Yoga 900-13ISK2 - BIOS update for setting RAID mode for missing hard drive on linux install

2016-09-22, 5:07 AM

Andy,

not sure how a press release can be counted as a 'solution'....?

All the important hardware (beside the SSD) works fine out of the box (USB, Bluetooth, WiFi, graphics, sound, camera).

I just tried tablet mode and yes, it has a couple of minor issues (keyboard/touchpad needs to be disabled, orientation sensor isn't being used, touch screen and touchpad need to be rotated to suit orientation).

Speaking for myself, this stuff is trivial - not a deal breaker - and likely the fix is the work of a day messing around with scripts (which the community is probably happy to do anyway)... Once those fixes get back into the Linux food chain they are fixed forever.

Post the details of the orientation sensor, fix the BIOS (or get Intel to issue a kernel patch) and save yourselve the PR problem.

This is an otherwise excellent device and I would be happy to recommend it (to Windows _or_ Linux fans) once the disk issue is sorted.

Options

86 Posts

09-08-2016

United States of America

52 Signins

2661 Page Views

• Views: 2661
  • Message 233 of 394

2016-09-22, 5:11 AM

Which is why I tagged it "Notsolved" and "Snowjob"... So if anyone comes looking for a perfect example of a snow job, they'll find it.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/snow_job

Noun
snow job ‎(plural snow jobs)
(idiomatic) An attempt to persuade a person using flattery or deception.

Options

58 Posts

06-30-2012

United States of America

125 Signins

2100 Page Views

• Views: 2100
  • Message 234 of 394

2016-09-22, 5:18 AM
"We have used a storage controller mode that is unfortunately not supported by Linux and as a result, does not allow Linux to be installed."

Except, that storage controller IS supported by Linux in AHCI mode. People in this very thread have already confirmed this!

"In order that others are able to find this statement easier, when searching, I am marking this post as the solution."

Wow, just wow.
Options

86 Posts

09-08-2016

United States of America

52 Signins

2661 Page Views

• Message 235 of 394

2016-09-22, 5:19 AM

They're giving us the full Superfish.

Lying through their teeth until they can't lie anymore, and then *maybe* we get a patch.

Even Comical Ali, our friendly Lenovo mod, must know that what he is posting. If anyone believes Lenovo's press release, I'll sell them the Brooklyn Bridge for two dollars... :P

Options

4 Posts

07-22-2016

Sweden

16 Signins

128 Page Views

• Views: 128
  • Message 236 of 394

2016-09-22, 6:01 AM

Thanks Lenovo for officially confirming that unless you are willing to stick with Windows you should stay away from their products. We'll make sure to spread the word. Perhaps now you'll be able to get some solid statistics of you former Linux usersbase in the dropping revenue.

Options

1 Posts

09-22-2016

Taiwan,China

13 Signins

166 Page Views

• Views: 166
  • Message 237 of 394

2016-09-22, 6:10 AM

I laughed to see the press release, dell will thank andy

Options

24 Posts

05-31-2016

Canada

63 Signins

734 Page Views

• Views: 734
  • Message 238 of 394

2016-09-22, 6:16 AM

I've marked Andy's post as not solved (sorry Andy).

So it seems our options are limited.

Installing onto a USB drive. I currently run linux on my yoga 900. Ive installed linux onto a very low profile usb (lexar jumdrive s45 or sandisk ultrafit) and the computer seems to work just fine. (albeit I'm missing a USB port)

A BIOS fix by using a hardware programmer. Currently not a full solution.

https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Request-Lenovo-Yoga-900-BIOS-Unlock-AHCI-enable-attached-BIOS-fd

I'm glad to know Lenovo's stance on the issue even if it may be negative.

Options

11 Posts

05-16-2016

Russian Federation

20 Signins

214 Page Views

• Views: 214
  • Message 239 of 394

2016-09-22, 7:44 AM

So, what this press release says us in the essence (after we cut through super-technology-magic-hinge bull**bleep**) is that Lenovo is not going to allow linux on this machine, is aware of what they have done by locking bios settings, and probably not going to fix it ever.

They also have demostrated once again exactly how much they care about their customers. I guess "customer is always right"  rule of last century got finally replaced by "customer is always an idiot". Because that's what it is when technology companies issue press releases instead of fixes, fixes that enthusiast modders apparently can implement with some special tools and a bit of reverse engineering.

Good to know, now I'll try harder to get a refund for this paperweight and Dell (or maybe Asus, possibly even Apple) despite all their faults in the hardware department just got themselves another customer. Even more like another few hundreds technology-aware customers, possibly thousands if you include those not looking to buy anything right now but who will be looking at today's news in the months to come, but I can't speak for others here. Good job, Lenovo, well done. I feel bad for you that you did all that without even being paid off by Microsoft.

Options

86 Posts

09-08-2016

United States of America

52 Signins

2661 Page Views

• Message 240 of 394

2016-09-22, 7:53 AM

It's at your own risk of course. They can void your warranty *if* they can prove it caused your machine to fail, but there are limitations under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. They legally have to continue warranty on any part that fails that was not related to your BIOS mod.

In reality, big companies break warranty law all the time and nothing happens. 

There's no way for Lenovo to stop you from doing the flash procedure though. What are they going to do? Send the Lenovo SWAT team crashing in through your livingroom picture window? :)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms