Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

15 Posts

07-11-2016

United States of America

151 Signins

1692 Page Views

• Views: 1692
  • Message 251 of 394

Re: Yoga 900-13ISK2 - BIOS update for setting RAID mode for missing hard drive on linux install

2016-09-22, 17:26 PM
So true. I start thinking that people who are responsible for this blunder have a strong intention to ruin the company from the inside.
Options

15 Posts

07-11-2016

United States of America

151 Signins

1692 Page Views

• Views: 1692
  • Message 252 of 394

Re: Yoga 900-13ISK2 - BIOS update for setting RAID mode for missing hard drive on linux install

2016-09-22, 17:40 PM

I wouldn't call Lenovo laptops a great hardware. After just a couple months of usage, the touchpad in my 710s is peeled off, which was never a problem with ASUS Zenbook even after one year of using it.

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Rules. Keep it clean.

Options

86 Posts

09-08-2016

United States of America

52 Signins

2661 Page Views

• Views: 2661
  • Message 253 of 394

2016-09-22, 19:15 PM

I was at the Best Buy up near Skokie yesterday and saw an entire table full of open box (return)  laptops. Nearly all Lenovo. There were seven Lenovo and one MacBook. Four of the Lenovo ones were the 710.

Options

86 Posts

09-08-2016

United States of America

52 Signins

2661 Page Views

• Message 254 of 394

2016-09-22, 19:19 PM

Andy marked it solved again. Apparently, Lenovo thinks that a lying PR post glorifying the hands-down worst Windows release since Vista is a solution.

Since I am not the OP, I can't mark his obnoxious and ridiculous post as Not Solved, but the issue is definitely not solved.

Options

86 Posts

09-08-2016

United States of America

52 Signins

2661 Page Views

• Message 255 of 394

2016-09-22, 19:46 PM
Since Lenovo's attack on Linux also impedes setting up Windows from a Microsoft ISO if you ever need to, I worked last night on creating a slipstreamed installer that inludes their Rapid Storage driver so that Windows setup can see the SSD and install to it. I also bundled updated drivers straight from Intel.

Lenovo and Microsoft apparently see "Signature PCs" as a device (like a tablet or a phone with carrier locks), not a real computer, and as such, they have provided no easy way to restore the operating system in the event of a catastrophe that breaks "reset this PC" or makes the system unable to boot in the first place.

Unlike an Android phone, which has a fairly decent design and a usable software store where Google can all-but-eliminate the possibility of there being malware, Windows 10 is an operating system that is steeped in decades of half-baked Windows code, horrible backwards compatibility garbage, and Microsoft hacks, and is 31 flavors of unreliable (including update installations getting stuck and unable to install and bad updates that cause boot loops and system freezing) and it is completely riddled with bugs.

The Windows Store has so few decent applications, you can count them on your fingers. So you install most of your software the traditional way of grabbing some EXE off of the internet, and it doesn't look like that will change soon. So you can't treat these things like a device. And I wonder how many people will end up having to ship their laptop back to Lenovo to get Windows reinstalled.

Okay, so they have Windows Defender and SmartScreen. That's....something, at least. More than earlier Windows had, but we must remember that several pieces of malware have dodged all major virus scanners (including the ones people pay money for) for years, being completely undetected. Does anyone think that these people aren't testing Windows Defender? The Hacking Team leak showed internal documents including a checklist of antivirus programs that they were successfully evading during internal tests.

When the BBC covered this Lenovo scandal yesterday, I appreciate that they took some extra time to mention that Ubuntu is faster and more efficient than Windows, with better reliability. Just comparing storage requirements and the optimal amount of installed RAM for each OS, Windows 10 needs approximately 700% more storage space and 200% more RAM than Ubuntu. Some people like to say that Windows 10 is efficient, yet it would require even more space if Microsoft hadn't deployed file compression on much of the Windows folder.

Shame that Lenovo won't let us run Ubuntu. Tsk Tsk...

System76 released a statement on Twitter yesterday.

Unlike #Lenovo, we do not have "Microsoft Signature PCs" and not only can you install #Linux on our machines, it comes preinstalled. ;)
Options

86 Posts

09-08-2016

United States of America

52 Signins

2661 Page Views

• Message 256 of 394

2016-09-22, 20:06 PM

Installing Linux to a flash drive to use it with the Lenovo Yoga is unacceptable.

A 512 GB NVMe SSD on Amazon will still set you back by about $350, so using Linux from a flash drive on this computer means that Lenovo has reduced the value of your machine by hundreds of dollars, and USB drives operating over USB 3 are nowhere near as fast as the SSD. 

Lenovo and Microsoft know that, which is why they disabled access to this very valuable component if you try to run Linux.

And if some Very Smart People ever figure out a way to make the SSD visible again, I would STRONGLY advise never upgrading the laptop's firmware again, lest they find something else to break and then tell us "Oops. Better run Windows 10 so you can use our 360 degree hinge! Have we told you about our 360 hinge?".

Options

10 Posts

08-26-2016

United States of America

26 Signins

295 Page Views

• Views: 295
  • Message 257 of 394

2016-09-22, 22:18 PM

The responses so far reek of incompetence and apathy from Lenovo.

Has Lenovo forgotten that they released the Yoga 900 originally in a form that would work with Linux, and then in the middle of the product lifetime, *replaced* the hardware config with something that would not work with Linux?

I held on to my Yoga 900 ISK2 based on a sense of trust -- Trust that Lenovo was going to be reasonable and revert the lock on the setting. Now, the time frame for me to return the Yoga 900 has passed, and it has become much more clear that Lenovo simply doesn't care about me. I have to accept that I trusted Lenovo, and that I shouldn't have. I was a sucker. Now I have a $1400 piece of crippled hardware that could otherwise be the actual laptop that I thought it was. I did not intend to buy any "Windows 10" device in the first place, so I feel that Lenovo was responsible for falsely advertising this product as something it was not. I wouldn't even have bought it had I known that the windows install was also limited to special drivers.

While I do not think that they are trying to be outright incompetent, the reasoning that has been given doesn't really make much sense. It honestly defies reason. The worse part of it all is that Lenovo has maneuvered around the public message rather than simply helping the same customers who are trying really hard to see through to a solution. Trying to spin their actions as "leading" is ironic, but not in an amusing way. They have simply abdicated responsibility for their actions to a few forum moderators who also seem to have been duped into trusting them like the rest of us.

Options

86 Posts

09-08-2016

United States of America

52 Signins

2661 Page Views

• Message 258 of 394

2016-09-23, 0:45 AM

I released an official reply to Lenovo and Microsoft on my Reddit thread in the Linux section.

It pretty much just rolls up what I've already said here, but it has some additional information to help customers deal with computers that ultimately end up having the SSD in the fake RAID mode that Linux can't deal with, and a few other points.

Options

86 Posts

09-08-2016

United States of America

52 Signins

2661 Page Views

• Message 259 of 394

2016-09-23, 1:35 AM

I posted a Reddit story about the hardware hack that enabled bownairo's Yoga 900 ISK2 to install Linux.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/542c8t/hardware_hack_enables_linux_support_on_lenovo/

Options

18 Posts

06-19-2016

United States of America

151 Signins

950 Page Views

• Views: 950
  • Message 260 of 394

2016-09-23, 1:37 AM

Thank you!!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms