Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

86 Posts

09-08-2016

United States of America

52 Signins

2661 Page Views

• Views: 2661
  • Message 271 of 394

Re: Yoga 900-13ISK2 - BIOS update for setting RAID mode for missing hard drive on linux install

2016-09-23, 5:40 AM

Matthew Garrett says he's going to try to help us with this one:

"I'll take a quick look at the 10-series chipset docs to see if it's documented, and if so I'll throw a quick patch together - but I'm probably not going to try pushing it upstream, I'm afraid. If it does work, I'm fine with anybody else doing so."

I asked if he could point me in the right direction so I know which kernel maintainer to ask.

It's not the worst hack that Linux has ever had to do because the people who made the computer did something insane. I'm not an expert, but I have looked at the list of machine-specific BIOS quirks that Linux is lugging around with it, and it's depressing. Companies like Lenovo should be more responsible, but oh well. 

Options

86 Posts

09-08-2016

United States of America

52 Signins

2661 Page Views

• Message 272 of 394

Re: Yoga 900-13ISK2 - BIOS update for setting RAID mode for missing hard drive on linux install

2016-09-23, 6:14 AM

Someone on Reddit sarcastically asked why Linux runs on the Surface if Microsoft is trying to lock it out.

I replied:

Since the lockout seems to be a new requirement for their partners, ask me again when Microsoft releases the Surface Pro 5. Anyway, a patch to put the hardware back in AHCI mode after the BIOS exits is possibly in the works by Matthew Garrett, so if MSFT uses this method for the lockout, it may not work. I'm sure they'll find something else.

It has to be embarrassing to them that so many people ditch the nasty bug riddled Windows 10 and blog about how great Linux is on their Surface. I'm sure that's where the Lenovo "agreement" came from. Anyway, it lets them test the waters with someone else's branding on the machine before it gets rolled out elsewhere. And since so many people believe their crap about how that this wasn't intentional, the next Surface probably will come locked to a fake RAID mode. I think that once we solve this problem there will be another one.

I suppose it will be Groundhog Day again. Everyone forgetting that we've already dealt with this before and apologizing for MSFT again.

Edit: He came back with "They could just lock it out forever with Secure Boot.". I replied:

Options

15 Posts

08-20-2016

Australia

56 Signins

446 Page Views

• Views: 446
  • Message 273 of 394

2016-09-23, 7:02 AM

Regarding secure boot, you might be interested to read an (old-ish) article by Cory Doctorow titled "Lockdown: The Coming War on General Purpose Computing".  The whole secure boot thing is scary because most of us don't have a 10nm silicon fab handy to do our own CPUs, and most consumers of computers wouldn't know the difference anyway.

Anyway, good effort - press on!

I'll go back and read the responses from Matthew Garrett tonight and have a play over the next few days with his suggested mod - it's deep water for me too but I should have all the tools handy.

Options

86 Posts

09-08-2016

United States of America

52 Signins

2661 Page Views

• Message 274 of 394

2016-09-23, 7:16 AM

Apple's computers are the most restrictive. They're worse than Microsoft in most ways, but Microsoft is catching up.

They want to get us to the point where Windows is the only thing you can run and they want to eventually cut off support for apps being installed from outside the Windows store, where they can control everything that goes in there, cut off copyleft Free Software under licenses like GPL, all while siphoning off 30% of developer profits and making software more expensive for the end user while adding no value. The CEO of Valve, Gabe Newell, said basically the same thing.

I think that until there's a proper fix, people shouldn't buy an affected computer, but for those of us who can't take ours back, the AHCI hack will have to do. I would not buy a new system planning on relying on a hack to kick the machine back into AHCI mode and lose Deep Sleep. Apparently, if we can get the Yoga laptops to work with Linux in AHCI mode, might be left with a power management situation that is similar to the Skylake power management scandal that nearly ruined Microsoft's Surface Pro 4 launch. 

Options

86 Posts

09-08-2016

United States of America

52 Signins

2661 Page Views

• Message 275 of 394

2016-09-23, 7:40 AM

If someone can write a patch then we need to open up bug reports in all of the major Linux distributions and explain the problem and attach the patch. At the same time, we should start petititoning the kernel subsystem maintainers to merge the patch.

The sooner we get it in, the sooner the kernels that can get the laptop out of Lenovo's forced fake RAID mode and into AHCI can get out to the users, and then someone can just roll updated installers with the latest kernel. Fedora will probably get to that point before the others.

Options

86 Posts

09-08-2016

United States of America

52 Signins

2661 Page Views

• Message 276 of 394

2016-09-23, 9:11 AM

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/542c8t/hardware_hack_enables_linux_support_on_lenovo/d7ylnaj

According to some people in Germany, the Yoga models where Lenovo hid the AHCI mode in the US have it available in Europe. 

Now if Lenovo did this for "technical reasons", why are the European models allowing AHCI?

The person who brought this to my attention says he thinks they did it because the EU would have gone after them for locking Linux users out of the machine.

Options

11 Posts

05-16-2016

Russian Federation

20 Signins

214 Page Views

• Views: 214
  • Message 277 of 394

2016-09-23, 9:47 AM

If that is true, I wonder if it's possible to get a bios update for it somehow...

Options

86 Posts

09-08-2016

United States of America

52 Signins

2661 Page Views

• Message 278 of 394

2016-09-23, 9:59 AM

I don't know. 

I'll look at Lenovo's European support sites for English-speaking countries and see if I can find something.

It'll have to wait until tomorrow though as I'm already up too late.

I'll get a copy of their BIOSes from Europe and if AHCI isn't blocked, I'm going to talk to someone at the Department of Justice who contacted me yesterday about this. If it's for "technical reasons" that AHCI mode isn't available on the US model, it would be odd if it's not hidden on the EU models.

Options

9 Posts

07-27-2016

Poland

27 Signins

266 Page Views

• Views: 266
  • Message 279 of 394

2016-09-23, 12:18 PM

I have Yoga 900S bought in EU and it got BIOS locked. As far as I  know Yoga 900 got those options locked too (version sold in Poland)

Options

11 Posts

05-16-2016

Russian Federation

20 Signins

214 Page Views

• Views: 214
  • Message 280 of 394

2016-09-23, 12:31 PM

Maybe someone confused ISK and ISK2.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms