Options

21 Posts

06-06-2016

CA

37 Signins

287 Page Views

• Views: 287
  • Message 81 of 394

Re: Yoga 900-13ISK2 - BIOS update for setting RAID mode for missing hard drive on linux install

2016-08-06, 11:40 AM

First, NO, it's no joke! I sold my 90013ISK2 in frustration.

I didn't try removing the SSD to install linux, but there would be several issues.

1. The other computer would need to accomodate NVMe PCIe flash drive.

2. You would need to consider the graphics, monitor, wifi, lan, and other hardware

settings when replacing the SSD (no easy task).

3. You would need GRUB to overwrite /dev/sda and make sure UEFI is still

not booting Windows after reinstall.

4. The drive would still be in RAID mode (different from the host computer

you install linux on)!

Not worth it in my opinion and completely unacceptable that users would

need to do this to THEIR hardware!

After all, WE bought it! we should be able to use it as we see fit!

I'm no longer buying Lenovo!

Options

4 Posts

07-22-2016

SE

16 Signins

128 Page Views

• Views: 128
  • Message 82 of 394

Re: Yoga 900-13ISK2 - BIOS update for setting RAID mode for missing hard drive on linux install

2016-08-06, 18:18 PM

You guys should be able to give a more specific time estimate than "anywhere from several weeks to several months". If it's months then I'm getting rid of it today.

Options

3 Posts

08-08-2016

US

17 Signins

199 Page Views

• Views: 199
  • Message 83 of 394

2016-08-08, 20:02 PM

Can you please provide some type of status update? I really would like to know whether a bios update is in the works what so ever, otherwise I am most likely going to return this product for something else. Not explicitly stating the model changes is quite unacceptable, when you strip from isk to isk2 bios settings that provide you with simply ahci controller access. Very dissappointed as with some others here, this isn't just going to affect my purchase from you, but many others who trust my choices and word on devices to buy. Being someone who is involved in the software industry as a developer, I would like to know whether this bios update is something that will actually see the light of day and has importance, or whether it will not. 

Thank you. 

Options

6 Posts

08-10-2016

CH

15 Signins

208 Page Views

• Views: 208
  • Message 84 of 394

2016-08-10, 7:33 AM

Dear Lenovo,

Your reputation in the linux community was in the last couple of years pretty good, beacuse you delivered high end hardware, which usually got well supported by linux after a couple of months after the device release date. I myself am an owner of the lenovo yoga 2 pro and for more than two years, I am very happy with the device.

Recently, I was looking for a new one and I asked friends if they are happy with the linux support of the Yoga 900 and they told me, it's as good as in the previous devices. Therefore, I decided to buy this model, not knowing, that you somehow changed the hardware configuration of the device in the ISK2-model. All reviews on linux blogs about the Yoga 900 are therefore useless and untrue, because they are related to an old model, which is not being sold anymore.

I really hope, you understand this issue and treat it, with the priority it deserves because otherwise you're willing to risk your reputation in the whole linux community. I personally can guarantee you, that if this doesn't get fixed soon, this was definitely the last product I've ever bought from this company.

Best regards

P.S. It is not that easy to return the device for me, because I ordered it directly from the US (because of the keyboard layout), so I already paid extra for the shipping and customs to Switzerland and I am definitely not willing to repeat that procedure, because of your lack of competence to implement a single flag in a bios.

Options

3 Posts

08-09-2016

CA

10 Signins

126 Page Views

• Views: 126
  • Message 85 of 394

2016-08-10, 8:16 AM

Totally agree with this thread !

We need a serious agenda from Lenovo about the update of the Bios. I bought the machine one month ago and no way to install Linux !

Lenovo, watch out about your reputation in Linux community :-)

Ubuntu user
Options

3 Posts

08-08-2016

US

17 Signins

199 Page Views

• Views: 199
  • Message 86 of 394

2016-08-10, 15:39 PM

Hey anon47y I clearly didn't say it this good, but it's true, I feel the same way, if this doesn't get fixed. I will never buy a lenovo product again. That I can promise, and will recommend others not to purchase.

Options

7 Posts

08-12-2016

US

12 Signins

115 Page Views

• Views: 115
  • Message 87 of 394

2016-08-13, 11:59 AM

Let me chime in. I am another one of your "customer" who bought a Yoga 900 with the hope of running Linux on the machine. That I cannot do so is a show stopper for me. I need Linux for my work on this machine.

The machine looks like a nice piece of hardware, but at this point it is an expensive paper weight for me. Any news on when a BIOS update will provide a solution. Otherwise I'll have to return the device.

Sincerely

Options

7 Posts

08-12-2016

US

12 Signins

115 Page Views

• Views: 115
  • Message 88 of 394

2016-08-13, 12:08 PM

Let me chime in. I am another one of your "customer" who bought a Yoga 900 with the hope of running Linux on the machine. That I cannot do so is a show stopper for me. I need Linux for my work on this machine.

The machine looks like a nice piece of hardware, but at this point it is an expensive paper weight for me. Any news on when a BIOS update will provide a solution. Otherwise I'll have to return the device.

Sincerely

Options

6 Posts

08-13-2016

BR

39 Signins

176 Page Views

• Views: 176
  • Message 89 of 394

2016-08-13, 16:15 PM

I have a Yoga 900-13ISK2 too. Can't install any linux in it until BIOS is updated with RAID mode setting.

As of today (August 13th, 2016) there is still no update.

Options

1 Posts

07-31-2016

ES

3 Signins

43 Page Views

• Views: 43
  • Message 90 of 394

2016-08-15, 3:44 AM

The LenovoGates Scandal:

I just bought the 13ISK version on Fnac (which I have not yet opened or removed from the box for this item if I return). I would like the 13ISK2 by pcie I guess only improves the bandwidth and the iris 540 is twice as fast with the same consumption of 15 watts.
The problem is that the bios does not allow moving from RAID to AHCI.
With the XPS 13 had the problem and Dell released a new version of bios that solves it.
If Lenovo does not the same thing seems very serious.

First because it is a new attempt to force us to use microsoft products, and second and most important is that the person 1600 euros spent on this ultrabook is because LEAST NEED TO INSTALL LINUX.

(2 days after...)

It’s late for me. I just return a 13ISK without unsealing after seeing that there is a 13ISK2 faster with offering 15% discount until yesterday on the website of lenovo, costing little more but with LOCKED BIOS.
I have returned the money and I ‘ll buy a macbook pro that costs less. **bleep**¿¿??
Among other things, the keyboard is much more robust and the display does not reflect as much as Samsung pentile yoga being glossy.

Is bleeding you can install Linux on a laptop of 199 euros and even better screen almost have this but keep a celeron like the Medion laptops.
Because if you want a gaming laptop, you buy a 17-inch Omen.

PD: whenever there is a new hardware, someone tries to block the linux installation.

For example UEFI.

Goodbye Windows 10 / Lenovo.
Bye Gates. Bye Blocked Bios.

PD2: LG 15Z960 weighs less than 1 kilogram and is a complete 15 inches ips display i7/8gb/256gb laptop.

The yoga 3 pro is 0.10 kg lighter too and you can activate in bios all the blocked power of M core. (with half money cost).

The Macbook pro can use the 3 or 4 operative systems. (windows, linux, osx, bsd).

The HP Spectre X360 has better keyboard, trackpad size and more sensible tactile display.

And the New Asus UX306 has a matte 4k display with intel i7 kaby lake.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete