cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
st123
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,706
Message 51 of 372

Re: Yoga 900-13ISK2 - BIOS update for setting RAID mode for missing hard drive on linux install

Which notebook are you going to buy now?

I thought about the following notebooks:

Dell XPS 13 (with full HD display)

ASUS UX303UB

HP Spectre x360 13

Highlighted
Bownairo
Punch Card
Views: 4,586
Message 52 of 372

Lenovo Yoga 900 linux isn't supported

As the current BIOS stands, OS installers - for me specifically, Fedora Workstation - can't see any internal drives. I've read that this is an issue that can be solved easilly with an update to the BIOS, hopefully lenovo will realize how silly this is and fix it. 

Until Lenovo makes a change, no linux based OS can be used with this laptop.

Moderator note: new thread combined with existing thread.

mkhazraee
Punch Card
Views: 4,558
Message 53 of 372

Re: Lenovo Yoga 900 linux isn't supported

Just adding details to the problem, I tried many different versions of Linux to install on the newest Yoga 900, including fedora, ubuntu, centos, opensuse, mint cinnamon, arch linux and so on. I always used fedora before, but among them ubuntu performed the best recognizing all the drivers other than NVMe SSD harddisk. I tried the latest ubuntu, 16.04, which has the latest kernel that supports NVMe but still no luck.

Then I reinstalled the latest BIOS from lenovo website to make sure it is updated and not buggy. Still no help. Also I noticed that when you put the boot into legacy mode support, that is both UEFI and legacy, even BIOS itself does not recognize the harddisk! I think there is a BIOS problem that prevents from installing the linux as well. 

I got my Yoga 900 last week and it has a Samsung MZVLV512 as hard disk. I installed an ubuntu on previous Yoga 900 (13ISK instead of 13ISK2) for a friend, but no luck on this SSD. I'm also dissapointed and waiting for Lenovo to fix this BIOS problem.

Bownairo
Punch Card
Views: 4,497
Message 54 of 372

The reason I created a new thread was to specificall point out to users that linux will not work with this laptop. Customers should not be purchasing this laptop if they want to use a linux os and that needs to be public knowledge. A RAID setting left out of BIOS isn't nearly as drastic as lacking functionality to install operating systems onto this laptop. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,476
Message 55 of 372

Understood.  We try to avoid parallel conversaions.  A fix or work-around in one thread might not be seen by someone following the other thread.

The "moved" link is still there where you originally posted - so visibility is hopefully increased without splitting the discussion.

regards,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

repsilat
Paper Tape
Views: 4,416
Message 56 of 372

Re: Yoga 900-13ISK2 - BIOS update for setting RAID mode for missing hard drive on linux install

Will a different hard drive solve the problem? I have an SSD from an earlier Yoga machine (RIP) with Linux installed on it, but I don't want to void my warranty subbing it in if I'm just going to have the same problems with the BIOS.

rijesh
Serial Port
Views: 4,403
Message 57 of 372

No it won't help.  The computer is set to RAID mode. As far as I am aware the only way to get Linux to work is to change the Sata controller to sata mode. 

voyager99
Punch Card
Views: 4,395
Message 58 of 372

Another SSD won't be recognized if BIOS is set to RAID-0, won't make an iota of difference!

Lenovo has pulled a SONY and locked out it's customers!

Disgusting!

I'm typing this using Linux Mint 18!

pruna
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,351
Message 59 of 372

Hi Lenovo,

I think this news could be a good reason to release the new firmware ASAP: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/06/if-you-used-to-run-linux-on-your-ps3-you-could-get-55-fro...

Regards,

mvaled
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,086
Message 60 of 372

Has anyone got an update from Lenovo? I have no chance to return my Yoga 900 13ISK2. I really need to be able to install a Linux.

Best regards,

Manuel.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors