cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ethera
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,752
Message 141 of 372

Re: Yoga 900-13ISK2 - BIOS update for setting RAID mode for missing hard drive on linux install

David_MTL, I have only a partial understanding of the problem, not having such a laptop myself, but it appears to be an issue with Intel RST or RSTe, an Intel hybrid hardware/software RAID system. Apparently some versions of RST, when used on an NVMe, don't work with Linux, or in Windows without extra drivers installed, though this is fixable in most cases by disabling RST RAID in the BIOS menu and ysing the raw device. I think that in a refresh of the Yoga 900, Lenovo switched from a SATA SSD to a NVMe. Lenovo at least currently doesn't have the option to turn off RST RAID in the BIOS menu because they hid that option.

The press for the Yoga 910 suggests it has an NVMe, so the main questions are: does it have RST (probably) and can it be disabled in BIOS (my guess is that Lenovo doesn't change their minds).

TLDR: My guess is ~70% chance the Yoga 910 will have this issue.

altantan
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,664
Message 142 of 372

Re: Yoga 900-13ISK2 - BIOS update for setting RAID mode for missing hard drive on linux install

Any experienced user tried Libreboot?

djpohly
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,637
Message 143 of 372

Sadly it's not that easy. The BIOS is cryptographically signed (Windows Authenticode–style) with a certificate from Lenovo, preventing malware (as well as us legitimate users) from flashing an alternate or even modified firmware. Of course, there is no BIOS setup option to disable this verification. ;-)

According to the experts (https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Request-Lenovo-Yoga-900-BIOS-Unlock-AHCI-enable-attached-BIOS...) you'll need an SPI programmer and chip clip if you want to mod the firmware on this puppy. If that's your cup of tea, go wild.

As for me, I'm just hoping for better luck with my new S------ N------- 9 Spin when it arrives.

altantan
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,618
Message 144 of 372

No luck to purchase a N9S here. It comes with Windows too, right? Well then I am gonna carry a bootable usb stick to test before buying any laptop.

TheChuckster
SCSI Port
Views: 4,561
Message 145 of 372

Apparently even after forcibly flashing the ROM chip with a programmer with the modded BIOS, it still fails validation.

COME ON, LENOVO -_-

abhishekkumar
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,528
Message 146 of 372

Seriously? What's the message displayed?

DaemonFC
SCSI Port
Views: 4,501
Message 147 of 372

People are asking Lenovo for a BIOS update. The latest BIOS posted in the Drivers and Software for this model is the one for April, and according to Belarc Advisor, I'm running a BIOS from June 22nd that appears to be three revisions ahead of the April one. 2UCN08WW vs 2UCN05WW.

Nothing comes up for 2UCN08WW on a Google search. Does anyone know what they changed? They were in there messing around with it three times since April and still haven't fixed this problem. Come on, Lenovo! Really!?

ArturoMuller
What's DOS?
Views: 4,284
Message 148 of 372

Just logging it here im returning this laptop to best buy tommorow

Highlighted
Bownairo
Punch Card
Views: 4,247
Message 149 of 372

Good news for those willing to get their hands dirty in order to get this done. Through direct contact with the chip, some custom clips, and a programmer, I was able to get a mod from a friend over on bios-mods forums flashed onto my chip. This enabled me to access the advanced tab and change the necessary setting to allow for this install to happen. I put together a short album of pictures from this process, hopefully I can be of help to people in the future. http://imgur.com/a/ox4Ey

abhishekkumar
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,248
Message 150 of 372

As someone who can solder myself, I really appreciate the risk you took and the work you did. Great job! and also thanks to the folks over in the BIOS mods forum.

Lenovo, I hope there should be no more excuses now.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors