cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaemonFC
SCSI Port
Views: 13,049
Message 181 of 372

Re: Yoga 900-13ISK2 - BIOS update for setting RAID mode for missing hard drive on linux install

Obviously they never will give us a BIOS update because we now know that Lenovo signed a contract with Microsoft promising to make sure Linux can't be installed. Straight from the horse's mouth.

Edit: I just contacted Phoronix and Adrian Kingsley-Hughes at ZDNet.

happy_heyoka
Punch Card
Views: 12,962
Message 182 of 372

Re: Yoga 900-13ISK2 - BIOS update for setting RAID mode for missing hard drive on linux install

The "Signature Edition" thing is very interesting.  Now we know why...

Given that this is very much entering antitrust territory I'm not sure Microsoft would/could hold Lenovo to that contract if publicity were applied.  It would also be interesting to see what particular laws apply in your jurisdiction.

Given that I'm not interested in Windows 10 I'd be happy to return the license to MS as a condition of the BIOS mod.

rijesh
Serial Port
Views: 12,924
Message 183 of 372

Nice work @Bownairo. couple questions about flashing the chip.

You soldered wires directly to the chip. A SOIC-8 has the same footprint and pitch as thw wson package. Would modifying a soic-8 clip (by soldering 1.27mm headers to the end of the clip) be enough to circumvent the need to solder directly to the board?

Are there any requirements for the SPI programmer or will any work? I was thinking about using an arduino. (https://www.flashrom.org/Serprog) Im assumming that the only pins required are the ChipSelect, MOSI, MISO, and CLK. What programmer did you use? I was also looking at a few for $5 on ebay.

I read the thread on bios-mods. So the fix was only applicable for your pc? Any idea about the gritty details?

abhishekkumar
Blue Screen Again
Views: 12,893
Message 184 of 372

The WSON Package is *leadless* which means that there are no exposed pins/leads to latch the clip on to and the soldered contacts are very close to the package edges. So it wouldn't have worked. However bending the pins and pushing them very close to the side edges of the chip where it is soldered to the motherboard will work.

The Arduino will use 5V logic levels while the SPI flash can work with only 3.3V/1.8V logic levels. So unless you know what you are doing, using an Arduino to reflash the SPI ROM has the danger of damaging the flash chip and also causing collateral damage to other chips on the motherboard, potentially needing a motherboard replacement. I am able to think of 2-3 other methods too but it will be for a very specialized audience and not something that can be replicated without knowledge of internals.

DaemonFC
SCSI Port
Views: 12,804
Message 185 of 372

If anyone happens to know anyone near Chicago who can do do the dirty work of unlocking AHCI mode on my computer, do tell.

I could probably figure it out, but my hands are probably not steady enough for this. Smiley Tongue

Bownairo
Punch Card
Views: 12,788
Message 186 of 372

In the end, it wasn't soldering to the chip that was my solution, that was probably foolish of me in the first place. The extra solder allowed me to press the clips I made to the chip in order to dump and flash the bios. Currently, the mod will work only for me, and I'm the only person with the mod. In the next few days I'll be trying to create a utility that will take clean bioses and make custom modded bioses, in case anyone else wants to use this as their fix. 

DaemonFC
SCSI Port
Views: 12,718
Message 187 of 372

So do we still need an external flasher for this or is it possible to work around the signature check some other way?

What's the difficulty level on this?

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 12,700
Message 188 of 372

Some posts from this discussion have been removed or edited including those commenting on those actions. This was done in accordance with the Community Guidelines.

It is not uncommon for forums to set guidelines for members with regard to expected conduct whilst participating in them, it is no different here; Lenovo offers here a platform for people to share their experiences and expertise with others and expects members to do so whilst adhering to the Community Guidelines and Site Terms of Use.  I'd be very surprised if this is were an unknown expectation to anybody participating in these discussions.

If someone started being disruptive in a local department / electronics or whatever store, by encouraging other customers to undertake actions which could be considered negative toward the store, it is doubtful that it would take very long at all before they were requested to desist or maybe even ejected from that store. The same applies here; the guidelines are not intended to gag members from criticizing Lenovo, rather indicating an acceptable manner.

If such conduct should continue more posts will be removed. if necessary we have the ability to turn on pre-moderation meaning no posts will appear in public, or notifications sent, until such time as a moderator has reviewed and authorized that content. We do not wish to do this as it would not be conducive to maintaining the flow of sensible exchange amongst participants.

Also, for the benefit of those who may not know this. The moderators and gurus are your peers, they are not employed by Lenovo. They are here to assist members in their area of expertise, to ensure posts are appropriately titled, in the correct boards and to ensure that the forums remain a venue where members can sensibly share their experiences and opinions. Their participation here is highly valued and I would advise all to think twice before criticizing or questioning any action they may take.

Also, and think about this please when posting, would you like your subject to come to the attention of others for the right or wrong reasons?  The wrong reasons are falling afoul of the Community Guidelines resulting in moderators editing or removing posts and an admin having to temporarily lock the thread to allow time for temperatures to lower. The right reasons are because there are posts containing new information, structured argument and reasoned opinion regarding the issue at hand.

Unfortunately this thread caught attention for the wrong reasons; some members decided they clearly placed no value on the Community Guidelines and interrupted what was a thread which had already captured attention for the right reasons; see page 8, post 73.  The statement "several weeks to several months" is not going to be altered by any single person or group being conspirative, threatening or disruptive in these forums.

"It is acceptable to state concern for how a particular Lenovo policy, performance, or procedure does or does not meet the expectation of a particular member, but it is not acceptable to use this forum in an attempt to broadly organize or incite members en mass, to cancel orders, return systems, undertake legal action or otherwise disrupt the normal business processes of Lenovo." - source; Community Guidelines.

Thank you in advance for complying.

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

IvanAnishchuk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,289
Message 189 of 372

The statement "several weeks to several months" is not going to be altered by any single person or group being conspirative, threatening or disruptive in these forums.
Not trying to sound "conspirative, threatening or disruptive", I'll just say that everyone would appreciate any sign of commitment from Lenovo or, if possible, clearer ETA. Being one of those who can't use their new expensive hardware because of this issue, I'd be much more at ease just knowing that it's going to be fixed at all, even understanding that it can't happen immediately for whatever reasons. Or, for that matter, knowing that it won't be fixed so I can cut my losses.
Darmius
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,795
Message 190 of 372

Unfortunately this thread caught attention for the wrong reasons.

The statement "several weeks to several months" is not going to be altered by any single person or group being conspirative, threatening or disruptive in these forums.

This is likely one of the hottest threads on this forum right now, to some extent, due to an unproportional low degree of attention from Lenovos staff. The actual attention that it got from the customers is, on the contrary, for all the right reasons. Fixing this issue should have high priority if this company have ambitions to keep it's good reputation within the rapidly growing Linux community.

Being "conspirative" here refers to stating a fairly likely scenario where a company uses its resources to create an unfair advantage in a competative market. Not sure if this fails to fall within the realms of your guidelines.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors