Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

14 Posts

11-26-2016

Spain

29 Signins

367 Page Views

• Views: 367
  • Message 31 of 35

Re: Yoga 900/910 Survey: Which Linux distro are you running?

2017-08-13, 15:37 PM

Firefox touch screen is not working, may need some tweaking. Touch screen scroll is workign on Chrome.

Options

4 Posts

08-13-2017

Germany

8 Signins

91 Page Views

• Views: 91
  • Message 32 of 35

2017-08-13, 17:17 PM

Hi damiasol,

many many thanks for testing. Standby, keys & screen rotation was important for me (guess Firefox will also work when "browser.tabs.remote.force-enable" is set to true in about:config). If the HiDPI problems are just application related while the OS is fine, I guess it's a faulty application implementation).

I'll go with the Yoga 900S. Despite that it's not officially Linux certified by Lenovo, it seems to be the most compatible tablet / convertible out there ;)

Options

4 Posts

08-13-2017

Germany

8 Signins

91 Page Views

• Views: 91
  • Message 33 of 35

2017-08-21, 12:29 PM

Short update, I bought the Yoga 900S:

Distributions (HW independent):

Fedora 26 (Gnome Wayland):

- ongoing issue with Gnome fractional scaling support (should scale at 1.5 like windows, but currently only supports integer scaling like 1 (everything is two small) or 2 (too large and all icons look like crap).

- General issue with responsivness (changing the brightness bar is lagging with touch).

- Firefox or any other GTK applications that doesn't come as pre-installed cannot be used with touch (window controls or close button will not work)

Kubuntu 17.04 ( KDE X with backports ):

- Scaling by factor 1.5 can be used, really responsive.

- Onboard can be installed (with wayland KDE will come with a virtual keyboard shipped, but currently wayland virtual keyboard is only supported for KDE applications when Wayland / Neon Dev Unstable is used).

Hardware (device specific):

Great general support:

- keybaord gets disabled when the convertible is fully folded and used as tablet, only touchpad remains enabled;

- Camera, Mic, Bluetooth, WLAN, Multitouch Touchscreen, Multitouch Touchpad, Standby Resume, Standby on Lid Closure, Hardware Buttons, FN keys, UEFI boot entry after installation works ;)

- Battery usage is fantastic (not really tested, but shows 11h overall. Windows estimated 9h with 25% brightness. Not one percent accu lost during 1h standby)

Small disadvantages (I can live with):

-can only be powered with the original power cord (there are 2 additional pins used in the Lenovo USB power adapter & cable), USB-C cannot be used for charging (however the original power adapter can be used for charging other USB devices);

-as described here, the special Linux BIOS has to be used in order to set SATA AHCI mode for a linux installation;

-BIOS settings are not really extensive (missed a brightness setting);

-Boot order & BIOS can only be accessed by the physical "Novo button" with a sharp pencil

-No downloadable Factory Reset image, if you want to play around with this be sure to create it yourself ( https://support.lenovo.com/de/de/solutions/ht117511 )

So finally I have a small, fanless convertible with just Linux as the main OS ;)

Options

10 Posts

02-02-2017

United States of America

11 Signins

162 Page Views

• Views: 162
  • Message 34 of 35

2017-08-21, 15:26 PM

I posted some months ago about installing Mint with Cinnamon 18.1

It is still working.  The touchscreen works, I get excellent battery life, the Wi-Fi is good to go, etc.

But a new problem just developed where the touchscreen / mouse  buttons will become unresponsive.  I have to 'alt-tab' around whatever files I have open for it to start working again.  I haven't seen this problem posted anywhere so I can't definitively state that it's Mint with the 910 that is to blame.  I have a lot of development software installed like PyCharm, MySQL, etc. that may be causing some kind of memory leak.  Or perhaps there is a hardware conflict.  I'll have to look further into this.

All told though Mint is a good option on the 910.  It's blazing fast.  I do a lot of numerical analysis and heavy math on that machine.  It happily blasts through big matrix inverses like a champ.

Options

10 Posts

02-02-2017

United States of America

11 Signins

162 Page Views

• Views: 162
  • Message 35 of 35

2017-08-21, 15:30 PM
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=225072
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms