Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

13 Posts

12-02-2017

United States of America

32 Signins

169 Page Views

• Views: 169
  • Message 1 of 17

Yoga 920 - How to run Linux?

2017-12-02, 9:13 AM

I just purchased a Yoga 920 and I'm having trouble installing a linux distro (Ubuntu). Before buying, I looked briefly and saw Lenovo's past issues with linux, but it appeared solved (BIOS updates for 910 can be found here) and I didn't think it would remain an issue once Lenovo realized people wanted linux.  But, I'm seeing a lot of complaints about the 920 regarding linux and I can't find any answers . . 

Can the 920 run linux out of the box?  If not, what do I need to do to get it running? (Since my 920 doesn't have a dvd, it needs to boot linux off of a USB to install.)

Thanks!

Answer
Options

7 Posts

05-28-2014

United States of America

7 Signins

70 Page Views

• Views: 70

Re: Yoga 920 - How to run Linux?

2017-12-02, 15:59 PM

Dual Boot Setup

• After booting into Windows for the first time, download and install all updates. The pre-installed Lenovo service utility prompts to update the firmware.  I went ahead with it.
  • After booting Win10 with all updates, I shrink the single windows partition using Disk Management utility to the desired capacity and make space for Linux.
  • http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2015/11/how-to-shrink-windows-10-to-make-space.html
  • To get to the bios press Fn+F2 (bios) or Fn+F12 (USB boot devices), or insert a clip on the small orifice next to the power button while the laptop is powered off.
  • Boot with Ubuntu Live-USB from USB 3.1 port. I installed Ubuntu in the UEFI mode.
  • Using the installer, I created 2 partitions. (root installation, /home) and perform Ubuntu installation.
  • On reboot, it seems I had no wireless. A simple blacklisting of the ideapad_laptop module, for now, gets things working. "/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf"
  • The dual boot setup is now ready! Upon rebooting,  the UEFI boot menu shows options to boot into Linux or windows. With Kernel 4.13 in Ubuntu 17.10, most of the things work out of the box as a laptop. (only fingerprint reader and tilt sensor for tablet mode are not setup out of the box)
  • I haven't yet fiddled around to see if it correctly works in the tablet mode

http://www.lafaspot.com/2017/11/ubuntu-1710-running-on-lenovo-yoga-920.html

Replies(16)
Answer
Options

7 Posts

05-28-2014

United States of America

7 Signins

70 Page Views

• Message 2 of 17

2017-12-02, 15:59 PM

Dual Boot Setup

• After booting into Windows for the first time, download and install all updates. The pre-installed Lenovo service utility prompts to update the firmware.  I went ahead with it.
  • After booting Win10 with all updates, I shrink the single windows partition using Disk Management utility to the desired capacity and make space for Linux.
  • http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2015/11/how-to-shrink-windows-10-to-make-space.html
  • To get to the bios press Fn+F2 (bios) or Fn+F12 (USB boot devices), or insert a clip on the small orifice next to the power button while the laptop is powered off.
  • Boot with Ubuntu Live-USB from USB 3.1 port. I installed Ubuntu in the UEFI mode.
  • Using the installer, I created 2 partitions. (root installation, /home) and perform Ubuntu installation.
  • On reboot, it seems I had no wireless. A simple blacklisting of the ideapad_laptop module, for now, gets things working. "/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf"
  • The dual boot setup is now ready! Upon rebooting,  the UEFI boot menu shows options to boot into Linux or windows. With Kernel 4.13 in Ubuntu 17.10, most of the things work out of the box as a laptop. (only fingerprint reader and tilt sensor for tablet mode are not setup out of the box)
  • I haven't yet fiddled around to see if it correctly works in the tablet mode

http://www.lafaspot.com/2017/11/ubuntu-1710-running-on-lenovo-yoga-920.html

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

9367 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

78101 Signins

2244265 Page Views

• Views: 2244265
  • Message 3 of 17

2017-12-02, 16:06 PM

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

13 Posts

12-02-2017

United States of America

32 Signins

169 Page Views

• Message 4 of 17

2017-12-03, 0:48 AM

Awsome! It worked - BIG Thank You!!!   I've got 17.10 installed and running as a dual boot.  

My only probem left is blacklisting the wifi.  I'm a linux novice and when it comes to the terminal, I can folow directions to copy&paste, but that's about it. I tried copying the code you gave me in your comment, but it didn't work.  Maybe I have a different wifi driver?  I'll probably be able to find it with some looking, but haven't tried yet.

Thanks again!

EDIT:  Update: My wifi is working now but I never blacklisted to get it working. I don't know what happened and I didn't do much fiddling. My best guess is that the install had some updates that kicked in after reboots . . . 

Options

22 Posts

01-19-2014

United States of America

21 Signins

201 Page Views

• Views: 201
  • Message 5 of 17

2017-12-04, 22:15 PM

I had a strange problem installing Fedora 27 during the initial LiveUSB boot. It always fails a disk check, even though I tested with two USB images that pass on a Yoga 910 and a Yoga 900, the test fails on the 920 Vibes (glass model, but same internals afaik). I think this may be a symptom of not having an option in the BIOS to be able to switch from Intel RST RAID over to ACHI.

The only way around it was to select the boot option to skip the test and boot directly to the live media. Just a heads up for anyone encountering that problem, i  *think* it is safe to ignore

Options

13 Posts

12-02-2017

United States of America

32 Signins

169 Page Views

• Message 6 of 17

2017-12-05, 2:47 AM

(NOTE to readers: This is a 2nd EDIT to my previous posts (time has passed to edit my original post) becausemy wifi is no longer working after re-boot).

I'm sorry I can't help with your question. I'm hoping you (or anyone) might be able to help with one of mine.  After I posted my last update about wifi, I lost wifi capability after I switched secure boot back on after the install.

Should I have re-enabled Secure Boot or left it disabled? 

Were you able to successfully blacklist to get your wifi working?  I haven't been able to blacklist and I've searched around and tried 3-4 guides, but none have worked. (It appears the instructions vary depending on your driver).  Can anyone help me with instructions on how to get my wifi working? (I'm a linux novice/no python skills - I'm mostly limited to cut&paste instructions into the terminal).

Thanks!

Options

22 Posts

01-19-2014

United States of America

21 Signins

201 Page Views

• Views: 201
  • Message 7 of 17

2017-12-05, 7:31 AM

I run this once booted each time I start my computer: 

sudo rmmod ideapad_laptop
Options

13 Posts

12-02-2017

United States of America

32 Signins

169 Page Views

• Message 8 of 17

2017-12-05, 8:31 AM
That worked. Thank you!

I hope a permanent fix is developed, but I'm happy to at least be able to use Linux. Now I'm curious if my vpn will work . . .
Options

7 Posts

05-28-2014

United States of America

7 Signins

70 Page Views

• Message 9 of 17

2017-12-17, 23:18 PM

Should I have re-enabled Secure Boot or left it disabled? 

Yes leave it disabled if you want to also use windows with secure boot disable.

• Disable secure boot in bios, use your windows bitlocker key from windows website to be able to boot windows and after that remove secure block key encryption from you windows partition. This will make it much easier, see online instructions is easy. (optional step)

For the driver, just use any text editor you like, and edit the file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf" add "blacklist ideapad_laptop" to the end of the file in a new line, without the quotes, after that reboot.

Options

33 Posts

11-08-2016

United States of America

87 Signins

701 Page Views

• Views: 701
  • Message 10 of 17

2017-12-19, 0:52 AM
It's good to see others running Linux on the 920. I just got mine on the weekend and I installed Fedora 27 in a dual boot setup. The biggest problem by far was figuring how to shrink Windoze down to about 40GB. I'm running with ideapad_laptop blacklisted. I think that this results in some of the top-row keys not working so I'm hoping that the patch will show up in Fedora soon. I also have the pen working, with hover and pressure. The only part of the pen that doesn't work is the buttons, and that may just be because the characters they send aren't hooked up to anything. I'll probably take a look at this when the kernel module is fixed. Anyway, the Yoga 920 was a lot easier to set up for Linux than the Yoga 2 Pro.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms