Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

12-17-2012

chennai

1 Signins

11 Page Views

• Views: 11
  • Message 1 of 3

fingerprint driver is not available for Lenovo L430 thinkpad

2012-12-17, 9:30 AM

Hi,

I am a linux user , and want to use the fingerprint feature of lenovo thinkpad L430. As far as my searching went I am able to find drivers only for windows, from where could i get fingerprint driver for linux.

Options

20 Posts

12-14-2012

Vancouver, Canada

16 Signins

306 Page Views

• Views: 306
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: fingerprint driver is not available for Lenovo L430 thinkpad

2012-12-17, 20:22 PM

First things first: If you use the Windows software to enroll your fingerprints, you can use fingerprints to unlock your system at BIOS boot even if Linux doesn't support your sensor yet. If you've already wiped Windows and installed Linux without first enrolling your fingerprints, you're out of luck on that front.

Recent ThinkPads use a UPEK touch sensor that libfprint does not support yet. I have an x230 with the 147e:2020 sensor. There has been some discussion about beginning work on a driver for it, see this thread on the fprint mailing list.

You can find your sensor version by typing the following in a linux terminal window:

lsusb | grep -i upek | awk '{print $6;}'

The output of that command will be the hardware ID of your sensor, for instance "147e:2020". You can see a list of supported hardware over here.

It would be helpful if people would post their sensor's hardware ID in this thread, along with their ThinkPad model.

If your hardware is on the list, type

fprintd-enroll

in a terminal. This will allow you to enroll your fingerprint in most modern distros. If you get the message "list_devices failed: No devices available" you are out of luck until an fprint driver is written for your sensor.

Linux people love ThinkPads, so I have no doubt we will see a driver in the next 6 months or so.

Options

20 Posts

12-14-2012

Vancouver, Canada

16 Signins

306 Page Views

• Views: 306
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: fingerprint driver is not available for Lenovo L430 thinkpad

2012-12-17, 20:25 PM

Would a moderator please sticky this thread and change the topic to "Linux support for fingerprint sensors" or something similar?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms