Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arnego2
What's DOS?
Views: 1,039
Message 1 of 8

linux install not possible

Hello all

I just got a Lenovo T410 as a suggestion from a friend. Nice laptop really but there is one sour flaw I could not solve so far and hope that with your help I might archive just that. 

I am a Linux guy, I like to run Linux Mint actually, a debian based distro but it is not possible to concluide the install succesfully. I tried so far Linux Mint in 4 different versions, each with DVD install and Pendrive Install all failing.32 and 64 bit.

I tried Centros 64 twice bit which experimented kernel panic. I tried Debian in 32 and in 64 bit, the package manger fails to load. I have zeroed out the drive about 3 times. How can i install Linux on that laptop? 

Windows seems to install fine (I'm still at it)

The HDD passed 3 tests without any flaw. Its quite small anyway. 160gb

Help is greatly appreciated 

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,013
Message 2 of 8

Re: linux install not possible

Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried running a MemTest+ to test the RAM?

It would be also good if you could upload a picture of the failure message(s), maybe the Linux Guru's can make something out of it.

L40SX/240/240X/340CSE/360PE/365XD/380D/380E/380XD/380Z/390/560E/560X/570/600/600E/750Cs/755C/760CD/760EL/760XD/770E/A20p/A22/A31/i1600/G40/R50p/R61i/S30/SL510/T22/T4x/T6x/T4x0/T5x0/W5x0/W700/X1/X2x/X3x/X4x/X6x/X6xT/X2xx/X200T/X30x/Z60m/Z61x

Español Comunidad en Español  English English Community  Deutsche Deutsche Community   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Untitled-4.png
titianmom
Punch Card
Views: 987
Message 3 of 8

Is it running Win 7 or 8 (or 10 for that matter?). Makes a diff.  If it's Win 7 I believe you still have to get into bios and change it to a legacy install and get rid of UEFI.  However with the latest Mint, I vaguely remember that Wins 8 and beyond aren't a problem anymore.  Could be wrong on that, so check at Mint forums.

Other Linux flavors also had UEFI issues and may still have issues.  I have a T530 that had win 7 and I had to use legacy, but that was with the first Debian Mint.

Also, the hardware on board can be an issue, but the Thinkpads are typically Linux friendly so long as you stay with Intel innards for ex.  For all I know these days Nvidia might no longer be an issue. But I have a feeling it still is LOL.  Broadcom  wifi cards can also be a problem.

Best bet is to check the Mint forums for the latest info on UEFI and any hardware issues.

Kim

SeniorGuru
Views: 954
Message 4 of 8

I had to re-flash my BIOS and reset defaults afterwards.  This cleared out the "security" buffer of the UEFI interface allowing me to install Linux with out any further issues.

Your results may vary - UEFI is not a good standard yet...

Cheers.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
ccpplinux
Paper Tape
Views: 621
Message 5 of 8

Hi,

Can you please guide how you re-flash your BIOS and reset defaults afterwards to clear out the "security" buffer of the UEFI interface to install Linux?

Best Regards ...

ccpplinux

ezio_altair
Blue Screen Again
Views: 564
Message 6 of 8

why do you use linux? i mean no offence but i use windows and fed up with it want to move to a new OS was thinking about alternatives. Why would you recommend me this?

what  are the features linux have that windows don't ?

will i be do the thnigs i do on windows in it?

ccpplinux
Paper Tape
Views: 557
Message 7 of 8

Hi,

Thanks for reply. Windows not having collection of commands as rich as Linux. Windows command prompt is a dumb terminal. I can not do shell scripting in Windows. There are unlimited reasons due to which I want to install Linux.

Best Regards ...

ccpplinux

SeniorGuru
Views: 546
Message 8 of 8

Re - flash...

Depends on motherboard, but usually I flash from bootable USB and just CPU and memory attached to motherboard (desktops)... Notebooks have to be able to boot from USB, and I usually remove the HDD from the case.

Once flashed, reset bios defaults, then power down.  Attach other components and power up computer, install Linux from DVD.

Hope that helps.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors