Did you mean: 
Highlighted
wphantom
Paper Tape
Views: 7,872
Message 21 of 31

Re: ubuntu for Miix 310-10ICR Tablet

Hello, 

I have the X5 version and I have upgraded to the 1HCN42WW Bios (but I just notice that a 1HCN43WW can be found... I have to try it).

I will check your link

mathieuv
Paper Tape
Views: 6,972
Message 22 of 31

Hello

I had very frequently a black screen at boot ( it can appends with liveUSB too) and i figured out that it was just a backlight problem (backlight totaly shut off) . my first not-so-solution was to supend-resume to get the screen back. but still no backlight control.

then i found "pwm_lpss_platform"

just add "pwm_lpss_platform" in /etc/initramfs-tools/modules

then

# sudo update-initramfs -k all -u

and no more black screen again and moreover the brightness is now controlable.

for information :  Wifi works out of the box since kernel 4.12

For me  SDcard works since kernel 4.15

for Ubuntu, to get a recent kernel :

go to http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

go to the version you want.

download in the same directory

- linux-headers-xxxxx-all.deb

- linux-headers-xxxxxx-generic_xxxxx_amd64.deb

- linux-image-xxxxxx-generic_xxxxx_amd64.deb

then

sudo dpkg -i linux*.deb

as a bonus i give you my GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT from /etc/default/grub :

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="video=DSI-1:800x1280e acpi_osi= i915.modeset=1 fbcon=rotate:1  video.use_native_backlight=1 i915.enable_fbc=1 i915.enable_rc6=1 i915.semaphores=1 nospalsh quiet"

video= and  fbcon=  are clear but i admit i don't really know the effect of the others.

I hope I help someone with these information.

now...  can anybody help me to get my f***ing Bluetooth working ?

I didn't manage to get it works with https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8723bs_bt

M.V.

noobee
What's DOS?
Views: 6,215
Message 23 of 31

I found a little tutorial how to install ubuntu on my miix 310 Install Linux on Lenovo Miix 310 . Maybe this helps you, too ...

wphantom
Paper Tape
Views: 6,169
Message 24 of 31

Thanks,

I have tried as said in the tutorial with the Ubuntu 18.04... It is far better..

There is a pb for booting on the usb key installer. (problem of black screen after seeing the Ubuntu logo). Even adding the video.use_native_backlight=1 option in the grub command.  Pushing briefly th power button did nothing (but in the install disk we are automacally logged). The only way to get the backlight back is closing and opening the laptop... But it seems that there is a bug on lenovo that immediately shut the power of the USB port (that's my guess) and when back opened the backlight is here.. but I got a lot of error (in text mode a lot of SQUASHFS error....) and nothing works...

BUT sometime (say 1/5 trials) the backlight is on (can't figure out why) and I have managed to install ubuntu on my sd card asking him to put the bootloader on this same sd card...

But... it does that but it seems that at the end something fail when updating the grub2 configuration. (I can this a brief error message before the reboot). I can launch my computer enter the bios and select the GRUB2 on the SDcrd to boot (called ubuntu)... The GRUB menu starts and I have 2 entry : Windows & "RemixOs"  

Windows launch the windows partition...

Remix-OS send me to an error that he could not find RemixOs kernel....

My guess is that it is a default configuration file of the grub which the installer should have fixed but had an error..

I trrid to boot on the live CD and follow the chroot method seen in tutorials to update grub without success and saw post saying that it no more work like this..

I have seen many advise to using boot-repair app (boot-repair bootable disk).

I can boot on it after several trial (still the backlight problem) but it seems that it can't see my sd card (netiher bootrepair nor gparted when launched from this rescue disk. gparted on linux live cd sees every thing)...

I have managed to free a 10Gb partition on the internal drive.... But the ubuntu installer even in automatic mode (installing ubuntu side by side with windows boot manager) doesn't want to use it (it do the install on the SDcard)....

Ubuntu 18.04 have the wifi working fine, the display (when the backlight is on ) is perfect (except that it starts with the wrong orientation but that's not a problem since it is easy to correct).

What I plan to try : 

- getting boot-repair installed on the ubuntulive cd so that he can see the sd card)

- removing the sdcard to force ubuntu installer to use my particion on the internal drive

Any other Ideas

ProtoGott
What's DOS?
Views: 4,637
Message 25 of 31

Could you please let me know, how did you manage that.
Blobsworth
What's DOS?
Views: 4,250
Message 26 of 31

Currently writing this reply on my Lenovo Miix 310 with Ubuntu Budgie OS on it.

As I'm sure anyone following this at all will know, the key issue is the black screeen after booting into both the live version of any linux OS or installing and then black screening on the boot of the OS.

If this is your issue then update your bios here (to figure out which one you need, boot into setup mode by holding F2 on boot and check your current BIOS - my BIOS was HNC40WW so I needed the HNC44WW update, yours may be different, just go with the corresponding nubers and you should be golden) and while I was at it, switch off secure boot too and then I downloaded Rufus and my OS of choice's ISO file, used Rufus to put the ISO file onto a bootable USB, and turned off my Lenovo 310 Miix.

Now for the fiddly part.

1. With the USB in the machine (obviously) hold the power button and the volume up button until the backlight comes on.

2. Go to boot menu.

3. Select you USB.

4. Try the live version of your OS.

THIS IS THE FIDDLY BIT!

5. When the Ubuntu logo (or whatever logo you have depending on your flavour) pops up, press your power button. For me, my backlight got way brighter so i knew something had happened.

If you press the power button and nothing happens, just try pressing it again while that logo is showing before it blackscreens.

If you manage to do this correctly, you should be faced with the live version in the wron orientation. Just click install [OS Name] and away you go.

Once it asks you to reboot or keep exploring, Select keep exploring and power off your machine.

Take out your USB, power back on and (as of yet i have no fix for this bug) it will black screen again but dont worry.

When it does, wait on it for a little bit, press the power button and the power LED on your keyboard should turn off, then press the power button again to switch it on. Almost like turning the screen off and on again because the screen doesn't come on onboot.

IF YOU JUST WANT TO INSTALL THE OS AND KNOW HOW TO FIX THE ORIENTATION PROBLEM THEN YOU'RE DONE

IF YOU WANT TO KNOW HOW TO FIX THE ORIENTATION PROBLEM READ ON

1. Ctrl + Alt + T

2. Type xrandr -o right and hit enter.

3. Go to preferences>startup applications>add new.

4. Add that command in and tag it however you want.

As a sidenote, to put it back to portrait mode, all you have to do is type normal instead of right in that command. Hope this helps Smiley Happy

wphantom
Paper Tape
Views: 2,335
Message 27 of 31

I'm back....

My last try up to now...

I can boot from ubuntu 18.10 live usb.. It boots well with wifi, good screen orientation (the ubuntu logo was first in the wrong orientation but at the end of the booting process the desktop is in the correct orientation). ...

I can then install ubuntu on my internal hd, on a 10Gb partition. The installer set it it to ext4 type...

But when I boot my computer my boot loader (refind) see the ubuntu grub loader but if I select it... I have a scambled display (in the bad orientation) which seems in text mode.... nothing happen then... :-(
I can try the power button several time but nothing... (the display is still on)

But 

wphantom
Paper Tape
Views: 2,307
Message 28 of 31

Success !

I am now able to boot my install (ubuntu 18.10)... I just had to edit the grub when booting my install partition  with advises find in a comment from here : https://esc.sh/blog/linux-on-lenovo-miix-320/

it's a page about MIIX 320 but one advise worked ! 

I'm not sure what make it work, maybe these three changes in grub : 
- add set rootdelay=40
- remove --no-floppy (it's a SD card in my computer apparently)

and that's it... booted quickly in good orientation etc...

TerryFrangakis
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,131
Message 29 of 31

Successfully installed Ubuntu 18.10 on Miix 310-10ICR Tablet

Hi everyone

I have also wanted to install Ubuntu Linux on my Lenovo Miix 310 for a while and have been looking for a solution. I finally managed to do it after many many attempts and now have a working system.

My hardware details are as follows:

Hardware:

Lenovo Miix310-10ICR

Processor Intel Atom x5-Z8350

Graphics Intel HD Graphics (Cherrytrail)

Original BIOS version 1HCN31WW

2 GB RAM

32 GB Interal storage

Previous OS: Windows 10

Note that the processor is 64 bit so I did not have to deal with 32 bit EFI booting issues that others have addressed.

Steps followed (from memory):

0. I am not sure that this step is necessary but found that it worked. Ubuntu allows one to Try using Ubuntu without making any changes to the current operating system. This did not work for me. My internal storage had about 10 GB free space while I was still using the Windows OS. I used a partitioning tool to reduce the size of the Windows partition so as to leave me about 10 GB unused space. Only after doing this was I able to proceed. It may be coincidental, I don't know. There are many free partitioning tools available. I used MiniTool Partition Wizard from Partition wizard website for this purpose. It is run in Windows 10 and requires a reboot to apply the changes. I also removed my separate SD card which I had previously installed as this made the boot process very long and prevented Ubuntu from starting. I read this in someone else's post - thank you! I also removed all of my data from Windows as it would be lost during the installation.

1. I downloaded and updated the BIOS to 1HCN44WW (Redstone 1) which I downloaded from Lenovo downloads page. This is done in Windows 10.

2. I downloaded the Ubuntu 18.10 iso image from Ubuntu downloads page using my desktop computer. Note that I tried the 18.04 LTS version (which gave the portrait orientation problems frequently described in forums such as this one and I could not proceed further, whereas the 18.10 did not give me that problem). I also previously tried Lubuntu as well as Linux Mint Cinnamon and had similar issues. Only the Ubuntu version 18.10 worked.

3. I downloaded the freeware program Rufus from the Rufus website in order to put the iso file onto a bootable USB. This was done on my desktop computer.

4. I ran Rufus on my desktop computer, selected the Ubunto iso file, set the partition scheme to GPT and selected FAT32 as the file system format. Both of these are critical.

5. I put the USB in one of the Miix USB slots and pressed the volume up and power buttons simultaneously to get into the BIOS. I then went into the BIOS configuration and turned off Safe boot. I exited the BIOS.

6. I rebooted the Miix again using vol up + power, selected Boot menu and then boot from UEFI device. This allowed the system to boot from the USB. If you do not see this option then there is something wrong with the USB boot device. Make sure that you selected GPT and FAT32 when creating it.

7. From the GRUB menu I selected Install Ubuntu. I tried all the other options a number of times but eventually made the decision to install Ubuntu since the tablet was hardly useable with Windows 10. I had many attempts at installations, most of which either gave me a blank screen or failed during the installation process. The Ubuntu splash screen was portrait, but thereafter everything else was automatically landscape. I did not need to make any changes in the GRUB menu. On some occasions I got beyond this point, on others not. If you have a blank screen leave the tablet for a while as it does take Ubuntu a while to load.

8. If Ubuntu boots you will be faced with a number of installation screens. The installation screens require the following inputs:

• Language (left English as default) [This is the welcome screen and looked different to the desktop screen as there were no computer icons],
  • Keyboard (left English (US) as default),
  • WiFi (it picked up my home WiFi router and I was able to enter the password without a problem),
  • Updates and other software (I selected Minimal installation and Download updates while installing Ubuntu)
  • Partition: select "Other". I deleted all the Windows partitions using the - (minus) key, then created a partition of size 100 MB using the + key. I set the partition type to EFI as this will be the boot partition. I added a second partition of type ext4 using the rest of the available space, and set the root to /. I also indicated in the drop down menu that the newly created 100 MB partition was the boot partition. It is possible to add a swap partition as well (recommended at double the amount of RAM) but I opted not to do this.
  • Region (select as required),
  • User details. I found that this screen was unstable if I lingered here and had at least 3 crashes on this page. I entered my name, username and password rapidly and clicked Continue quickly to get through this. I am not sure if it is just coincidence but it worked for me.

Geting past the last screen, Ubuntu then proceeded with the installation. It took quite a while to do so (probably 45 minutes). Once the installation was complete the Software updater did an update which took some time, but the system was stable. After this was complete I shut down the tablet, removed the USB, and booted without any problems!

What works:

WiFi
Sound and volume controls (physical as well as slider in task bar)
Charging indication and battery level
Touchscreen

Brightness intensity
Screen tilt, portrait and landscape
USB ports
Keyboard
Touchpad and buttons

What does not work:

Webcam

Bluetooth

Not tested as yet:

HDMI output

SD card slot

The tablet is stable so far and I was able to load Libre office etc. without any difficulties. I have not loaded the SD card as, after the Ubuntu installation and some office application, I still have about 22 GB free. Apps load fast and I am able to be productive. Windows 10 was slow and kept trying to do updates for which I did not have enough space so the tablet spent most of its time trying to do updates.

Good luck to you all out there. I hope that this will help you. I probably went through about 40 attempts until it eventually worked.

Terry Frangakis

laurius
What's DOS?
Views: 1,030
Message 30 of 31

Re: Successfully installed Ubuntu 18.10 on Miix 310-10ICR Tablet

Hi, what is the latest status for ubuntu compatibility on this laptop?

Webcam?

Bluetooth?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors