Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo PhonesP1, P1m, P70 & P90 Series Smartphones
All Forum Topics
Options

38 Posts

04-18-2014

India

41 Signins

344 Page Views

• Views: 344
  • Message 1 of 110

Lenovo P780 Kitkat 4.4.2 upgrade: Post problems and changes

2014-08-02, 18:08 PM

Hello, 

I am writing my experience and also the complaint for the upgrade.

Before the upgrade better have a backup with an app which creates backup in cloud than SD card.

I received the upgrade on 01August 2014 two times:

P780_ROW_8G_S221_14072*

P780_ROW_8G_S221_140729 (the current)

People are complaining about camera not working which was probably corrected in the current version.

However, before installing the patch P780_ROW_8G_S221_140729 i checked that I have a nice UI and the top most is Google Hotwords.

Now what i have got and missing because of this upgrade is:

1. New security system ( neither can be uninstalled nor disabled) actually speaking it is annoying to me.

2. Very bad UI ( had to install NOVA Launcher to change it )

3. Battery performance ,I believe is improved more.

4. Camera is working fine.

5. Immediately started having issue with CALLS (the other side person receive a interrupted voice)

6. Some additional features like Wide touch, shake lock, smart Call (earlier only smart answer), Decrease volume tone, Smart Scene (nice actually), 

7. Inbuild Data package counter and stuff.

8. Earlier also i have been missing is "No German Language in Lenovo P780" Please developers.....

9. No Swype keyboard. So install one from playstore.

10. WHY WHY WHY no google hotwords ?

11. File browser is good.

12. Some widgets for some apps you will miss.

13. Shareit (to share the stuff with others, like SuperBeam (not exactly though)

14. Cloneit

15. Very nice notification system.

16. Power manager is changed. dont know better ot bad...(cant decide :P)

17 you can see the wireless or network data speed.

18. additional option to reboot the phone. 

19 Boot image and animation can be changed. (as provided only 1-2 options)

Still must be something ....and discovering .....

Regards

Sanjay

Options

5 Posts

08-03-2014

Bangalore

18 Signins

192 Page Views

• Views: 192
  • Message 2 of 110

Re: Lenovo P780 Kitkat 4.4.2 upgrade: Post problems and changes

2014-08-03, 8:03 AM

I upgraded it yesterday .. 

some issues I got into

1.Battery Calibration now working..Battery shows incorrect levels

2.No App List menu (one were we get all applications installed) - all application are on home screen now

-> This must be fixed...

3.Some SMS received cannot be read (may be Language issue)

4.No option to select any other app luncher

5.Only two themes avaliable (why???)

6.Smart - WiFi connectivity (when the phone is locked) - Not working correctly..only connects when unlocked.

My Recommendation to others - please do not upgrade .. wait for more stable release..there is no going back :(

Options

38 Posts

04-18-2014

India

41 Signins

344 Page Views

• Views: 344
  • Message 3 of 110

2014-08-03, 9:14 AM
you can install Nova launcher from Play store...atleast no need to see that boring gui...

and did you get the second upgrade ?
Options

3 Posts

08-03-2014

Ukraine

18 Signins

208 Page Views

• Views: 208
  • Message 4 of 110

2014-08-03, 21:52 PM

My list of kitkat upgrade  issues (Location - Ukrainer, sotware revistion - P780_ROW_8G_S221_140729 (second upgrade)):

• Only contacts, phone call and sms were restored from SD card backup. There wasn't notification about that my application can't be restored after upgrade. Now I have to install all my applications from google play
  • battery lifetime is much less than before(2 days now vs 3-4 days before). Some application like Lenovo Smart Rotation are eating my battery charge very quickly. Also GSM module had bad signal and use more requests to keep carrier what cause more battery discharge too
  • memory usage - I disabled almost all application and I have only 250 MB of free memory. Google anonced kitkat as release of adroid which can be run even on 512 MB of memory without any problems. I don't understand what app eating my phone memory and why I can't control this.
  • bad quality of voice processing - people with which I'm talking via phone tell me that can't hear my voice normaly (interrupted voice)
  • autobrightness doesn't work normaly and change brightness regularly whithout any reason
  • wifi - I don't understand when phone connects to my wifi network and why I should see wifi connection notification on every phone unlock
  • phone now isn't detected as USB mass storage on connect and I have to use MTP or PTP. Why???
  • no grouping of incomming/outcomming calls
  • no photo on outcoming call, little photot on incomming call
  • youtube audio unsynchronization - I can't use this application now at all
  • photocamera - I believe that focus and image quality became worse
  • Lenovo Security - I can't stop/unistall this application, so it used phone's CPU and memory
  • current launcher is awful - I don't want to use desktops to keep all my installed applications and I can't access old all application list (there is no way to do it). Cpu/Memory usage is high too. Installed Apex Launcher instead
  • default theme is awful and there is only one extra theme to switch which is awfull too.
  • list of running application doesn't show preview images now and show only icons which is awful too
  • no swype and I can't install google keyboard which I used before (not presented in your region). But I have other new unused futures like smart keyboad. Using TouchPal X currently
  • Quick menu (appearing on swype bottom) is awfull too. Icons of mobile internet and rotation as almost the same (I use them often and now I often press wrong icon). Why so many steps for sleeping mode (15 sec, 30 sec , 1min, 2 min, 5 min, 10min, 30min)????
  • Alarm clock - now I can't set time directly and have to rotate min and hours switcher. It's awfull too

Additionaly to this lenovo support is great - I can't find direct email or support chat for smartphones to submit bug reports.

To summarise - before upgrade I had pretty good configured and usable smartphone which I used a lot. Now most of futures is annoing and I don't see improvements that can make me happy with new version of addroid (kitkat). Current lenovo applications are frankly buggy and bad written/tested.

P.s. Hope that somebody from support staff will read this message

Options

10 Posts

08-04-2014

India

13 Signins

247 Page Views

• Views: 247
  • Message 5 of 110

2014-08-04, 7:31 AM

Hello Lenevo Support,

Post Kit Kat upgrade is not too good.

Major problems in calls.

Other party is not able to hear the voice correctly.

Immediately started having issue with CALLS (the other side person receive a interrupted voice).

Please resolve this at earliest.

Also let me know, how to move back to Jelly Bean.

Options

4 Posts

08-04-2014

belarus

31 Signins

330 Page Views

• Views: 330
  • Message 6 of 110

2014-08-04, 9:45 AM

after update on 4.4.2. i detected one global problem with calls. now, there connection is not stable. i can not get through to subsciber. some times, people try to call to my phone, as result i can not get any call, only sms is received from phone provider. this problem was absent in previous firmware 4.2 .  my phone is p780 8g(special for europe). one question, does lenovo plan to fix this issue asap or how can i switch back to previous firmware?

Options

4 Posts

08-04-2014

belarus

31 Signins

330 Page Views

• Views: 330
  • Message 7 of 110

2014-08-04, 10:04 AM
+ the same situation.
Options

11 Posts

07-28-2014

India

21 Signins

133 Page Views

• Views: 133
  • Message 8 of 110

2014-08-04, 19:01 PM

Yes I agree, I am facing the same issue after upgrade to kitkat.

I have stopped 3G on my phone and now the network is stable on 2G no disconnection and battery performace seem better on 2G(with 3G my battery didn't even last one day).

Options

19 Posts

08-05-2014

India

17 Signins

202 Page Views

• Views: 202
  • Message 9 of 110

2014-08-05, 5:38 AM

Hi everyone, 

Sharing my experience.

I got the update (722mb) on 27 July and updated after reading few comments here as few people had updated with one person posted that he faced no issues. 

I had backed all my stuff on my Strontium 32gb SD card but it went corrupt and i couldnt get back anything especially the contacts. Later i got a replacement from Strontium with new SD card and thats working fine now. As Sanjay says, do please take a cloud based backup or transfer ur SD card backup on your computer or laptops and then you are safe in case of any thing going wrong. 

It was a clean install and all things updated perfectly and no issues faced either. Camera also worked perfectly. 

Battery started draining as compared to my earlier battery life for 2 to 3 days. With this update it went out in very first day itself.

Then on 29 July i got another update (172mb ) and installed that too. Worked perfectly.

Battery improved slightly. I used battery Calibration twice and after reaching 100% it said that batter Calibration successful but got another pop saying that "batter not calibrated." Which message to believe, dont know. Today will check what battery life do i get now post the batter caliberation attempts.

Rest is working fine for me as have not tried much as not too much of experimental guys with launchers or alike, but overall things are working fine.

Just i see that i am facing some issues, like during two calls, one hangs for long before disconnecting. Also, when during a call when i try to navigate to a contact, it dials the number automatically and the firt call goes on hold. 

If i face any issues or anything worth notifying, I'll update my post. 

Bets regards, 

Alok

Options

19 Posts

08-05-2014

India

17 Signins

202 Page Views

• Views: 202
  • Message 10 of 110

2014-08-05, 6:43 AM
Yes, forgot to mention what others too have also pointed out:

- People on the other side are complaining about low voice reception and often say that I am not audible, so I have to be loud and that's annoying.

Overall the previous version of Android from Lenovo was more stable as compared to this kikat version.

Lenovo has not worked extensively to give a better experience. If I compare Lenovo to Samsung interface, Samsung UI is far better and more user friendly.

Also, a point to note that in Google Play Music, there is no option to select multiple music files and delete them in one go. It will be highly convenient to listen and select multiple music files and delete them in one go that will help to sort the music folder.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms