cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Administrator
Views: 23,368

These are some of the multiple features which can produce heat in a smartphone, these include amongst others; network conditions, data usage (more if 3G/4G); any apps using audio video & data - gaming, bluetooth, GPS and of course charging.

It is not unexpected that when a smartphone is used and configured for the first time that a number of these features will be in use at the same time therefore causing the smartphone to feel warm. Generally after purchase a new owner will test all components; utilizing Audio / Video features to explore the extent to which these can be used, account configuration such as Gmail with a restoration of contacts which provokes a higher than normal level of data, WLAN / WWAN usage and not to mention the installation of multiple applications. Another noticeable effect is a reduction in the expected battery life; all of the features require power.

After examining customer useage logs it was found that the three main causes for a smartphone feeling warmer than usual were;

1. Frequent camera usage which also involves the cpu which runs algorithms for image enhancement.
  2. Playing games which will put the smartphone's cpu to it's higest frequency limit for extended periods.
  3. Using 3G/4G networs for data transfer; busy RF traffic will produce heat.

All of the above can individually cause the temperature of a smartphone to potentially rise up to 10+° C above the current ambient temperature, so if when playing an online game a phone call were to be received the smartphone could feel considerably warmer than expected especially when placed against naked skin such as an ear. A combination of the above can accelerate the time needed for a rise in operating temperature.

Taking the above points into consideration it is likely that a customer will experience a rise in smartphone operating temperature when the smartphone is new;

• During the first days after intial purchase, (or factory reset after an upgrade), a customer will utilize the audio and video functions of the smartphone to full extent whilst exploring the different features.
  • Data usage will be high during the time that Google and other accounts are being configured and sychronized on the smartphone.
  • Various applications will be installed and functionality tested alongside voice calls and web browsing.

It is not possible to examine each individual usage secnario which could arise; after all each person will use their smartphone and it's features in a different manner. However, hopefully the above explains some of these scenarios and reasons why a smartphone may at times produce heat.

Was this information helpful?

Comments
Manojvahinipat
Unacceptable answer, where other competition phones remediated after system updates. Writing with a pain that phone manufacturer is not receptive to the complaints and reserved by posting in forum stating user has to live with overheating problem. Manufacturing high configuration device only is not an accomplishment, performance and maintenance is equally important. Reasons of buying this phone is the brand and this model is due to latest configuration. There must be a solution. Request being receptive and show some work refining OR optimizing OS TWEAKS EMBEDDED WITH UPDATES.
warm regards
Manoj
Sachin3
Un acceptble answer

What do you mean I m using one time one app but mobile is heating
Blud

also,by watching youtube alone vibe p1m causes heat do you think the 1GHZ clock speed is the culprit instead of 1.3ghz like the huawei with the same mtk6732m or mtk6735m

Blud

sorry,it was mtk6735p

Siddharth2395

Dear Mod, 

I use VIBE P1m. My phone hits 54 degree celsius when its plugged in. I use the standard 5V/2A charger that shipped with the device. With airplane mode, it reaches somewhere around 50. When play games, I could see my phone hit 58 degrees and once MTK thermal manager popped up stating phone is overheating and it turned off my device. Fyi, I didn't even use the plastic back cover that got shipped with the device (the freebie) and I was using the phone without screen guard, indoor. Ambient room temperature was 35 degree celsius. So you are gonna say that I should use my phone less so that it does not overheat? Or should I use a liquid nitro cooling system to reduce the heat? Please enlighten me!

Update - I used a IR temp gun and it showed 62.9 near the camera module. After half an hour of gaming via WiFi

dannykp77

sorry to say,

My phone heats up so badly once mobiledata or wifi turned on. This happened after a recent update and the battery drains so fast. I used to keep my net connectivity on always either via wifi or mobile data and even then got the battery to run two full days(48hrs). But now within 24 hours the entire battery gets drained and phones shutdowns.

George_K1
I have an Lenovo a2010-a, and it gets a bit warm when i do intensive gaming and/or when activly using cellular data. The phone charges quite quickly with it's stock charger. Completely satisfied with the phone, and I can't see where the problem with other users is.
Janice_Greene
I have noticed since I installed the sd card, my MOTOG4 heats up very badly while charging.
sskrhclawyer

Lame excuses...your answer for heating of the phone is analogous to saying that phones get heated hence put it in refrigetor or dont use at all...Why the dull minds at lenovo not thinking of recall the devices of motog4 plus and provide the free PCB or motherboard upgrade....why cannot yot follow the best practises such as this recall which is odne by many international players of repute...now dont say that you are a cheap cpompany and not a international company..

shame with your answer...probably you have not purchased this phone but using somebody gifted one..hence you dont know when phone heats exceesivley after 2 mins of video recording and call time of 2 mins and charging time of 2 mins.....phone is o heated as if it is kept directly under the sun...and th heating radiation is coming from top right hand side corner of phone...where pcb or motherboard etc probably are placed...

nestoritwiz

I wondering if all the "Players of Repute" ,lol, or just this guy can't seem to find the spell check feature. Just saying. Might wanna take the time to check before you go posting a reply that had nothing to do with you. Spellcheck is your friend... 

Johnpaunlagui

Blud is right

Why the same CPU w/1.3ghz mt6735p

and my p1ma40 is 964.844mhz instead of 988mhz that so unpair

The_Abaddon

@Andy_Lenovo wrote:

These are some of the multiple features which can produce heat in a smartphone, these include amongst others; network conditions, data usage (more if 3G/4G); any apps using audio video & data - gaming, bluetooth, GPS and of course charging.

It is not unexpected that when a smartphone is used and configured for the first time that a number of these features will be in use at the same time therefore causing the smartphone to feel warm. Generally after purchase a new owner will test all components; utilizing Audio / Video features to explore the extent to which these can be used, account configuration such as Gmail with a restoration of contacts which provokes a higher than normal level of data, WLAN / WWAN usage and not to mention the installation of multiple applications. Another noticeable effect is a reduction in the expected battery life; all of the features require power.

After examining customer useage logs it was found that the three main causes for a smartphone feeling warmer than usual were;

1. Frequent camera usage which also involves the cpu which runs algorithms for image enhancement.
  2. Playing games which will put the smartphone's cpu to it's higest frequency limit for extended periods.
  3. Using 3G/4G networs for data transfer; busy RF traffic will produce heat.

All of the above can individually cause the temperature of a smartphone to potentially rise up to 10+° C above the current ambient temperature, so if when playing an online game a phone call were to be received the smartphone could feel considerably warmer than expected especially when placed against naked skin such as an ear. A combination of the above can accelerate the time needed for a rise in operating temperature.

Taking the above points into consideration it is likely that a customer will experience a rise in smartphone operating temperature when the smartphone is new;

• During the first days after intial purchase, (or factory reset after an upgrade), a customer will utilize the audio and video functions of the smartphone to full extent whilst exploring the different features.
  • Data usage will be high during the time that Google and other accounts are being configured and sychronized on the smartphone.
  • Various applications will be installed and functionality tested alongside voice calls and web browsing.

It is not possible to examine each individual usage secnario which could arise; after all each person will use their smartphone and it's features in a different manner. However, hopefully the above explains some of these scenarios and reasons why a smartphone may at times produce heat.

take full backup of your phone. Go into recovery mode ( **Turn Off your phone. **Hold Volume Up + Power Key for 5 seconds) In recovery mode **Wipe Data/Factory Reset. **Wipe Cache Partition. and reboot your phone. Setup your phone again and recover the backup. Update your phone through OTAs. I hope this will solve your problem.

Paradigms

Why Lenovo make more effort to solve our problem? All users write their issues but you do nothing. Lenovo is a very bad manifacturer. I have Lenovo laptop, mouse, etc. I trust Lenovo so I bought Vibe P1a42 but dont help users.

maltaresk

its an old existing problem , no solution so far provided by lenovo. external mic not working after the upgrade. service center says replace the mother board. can some one inteligent enough teach me that by upgrading an software can damage the hoardware. hello ,,,,, lenovo. why not you send a patch osftware to solve this problem to all the users.

should i say thank you....

Vikas_Jain

I have Lenovo Z2 Plus...I have some issues.

1. It is heating too much when i charge it.

2. Whatsapp custome notification lights green,yellow etc are not visible. Only white light notification is coming. Is there only White light notification. if that so..its too BAD that i purchased this phone.

Purwak

I m using lenovo k8 note 64gb and the phone automatically becomes hot there is some kind of spot on the screen very worst phone.

alikoyakk

My new lenovo handset, K8 note, being overheated at all times. Sometimes I fear, that will it blast?

alikoyakk

Can lenovo solve the overheating problem of K8 note with an updating?

Contributors