Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo PhonesP2 [P2a42] Smartphones
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

04-21-2017

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

6 Signins

57 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 57
  • Message 1 of 3

Fast charger compatibility

2017-04-21, 17:00 PM

Just bought a new P2 which I'm generally very happy with, except unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with my car fast charger (ie it charges but doesn't fast charge).  I assumed that it would be QC 3.0 compatible being as it has a QC chip?  Seems a pretty bad omission if not, as these are getting pretty ubiquitous.

If it isn't QC 3.0 compatible and uses Lenovo proprietary chargers, does anyone know where to find these for sale?  I can't find one anywhere.  I'd ideally like one in my car, otherwise buying a fast charging phone is pointless for me.

Options

33 Posts

04-21-2017

Poland

32 Signins

448 Page Views

• Views: 448
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Fast charger compatibility

2017-04-21, 17:28 PM

From what I've read, Lenovo did not claim P2 supports Quick Charge (by Qualcomm), but I agree this might be weird, since it sports a Snapdragon chipset.

I can't be sure, because I didn't test it, but I've heard from one user that P2 still supports Quick Charge, but unofficially - that means, it is not so fast as Lenovo 24W charger, but charges phone considerably faster.

I have Qualcomm-certified QC 3.0 (Tronsmart W3PTA) charger and I will try to test that too, but I want to get a confirmation from Lenovo/Motorola team that I can use such charger (non-OEM, but Qualcomm-certified). I even would like to use sometimes normal 2.4A charging to keep battery in better shape.

Question: Would it be harmful to use such charger with QC 3.0 port or 2.4A (or even 1A) usual port? 

This seems to be one of the most popular questions for P2 - I suggest to create some FAQ thread with already answered questions and known firmware issues to clean up the mess. Another popular question was asked by jlparsonscardif: where to buy original Lenovo charger for P2.

Options

470 Posts

06-02-2013

Malaysia

824 Signins

10449 Page Views

• Views: 10449
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Fast charger compatibility

2017-04-21, 18:23 PM

wrote:

Just bought a new P2 which I'm generally very happy with, except unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with my car fast charger (ie it charges but doesn't fast charge)...

If it isn't QC 3.0 compatible and uses Lenovo proprietary chargers, does anyone know where to find these for sale?  ...

None of the fast/rapid CAR charger is compatible with P2's proprietary technology.

Manufacturers must pay "license fee" to Qualcomm in order to implement Quick-Charge tech. Hence, LeMoto decided to develop their own "rocket" charging tech (which seems to be way better than QC3.0 but not better than QC4.0...). Just assume LeMoto "Rocket Charge" tech as QC3.75...

Having said that, it's better to invest on portable powerbank rather than car charger. I'm using the Xiaomi Slim 10,000 mAh Pro powerbank and has quite reasonable charging rate as discussed below:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/P2-P2a42-Smartphones/Where-to-buy-replacement-chargers-What-other-chargers-work/m-p/3647135/highlight/true#M3141

Car charger only allows short period of time to charge (ie when driving...), but powerbank can be used anywhere including in the car while driving...

If we hate to carry powerbank, just get the slim and light powerbank will do...

But as we all aware, P2 can survive more than 6 hours with really heavy gaming, navigation and 4K video recordings....

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)