Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemPre-Installed Lenovo Software and Applications
All Forum Topics
Options

45 Posts

09-01-2010

Germany

141 Signins

960 Page Views

• Views: 960
  • Message 71 of 181

Re: Access Connection SMS Menu disappeared!!!!

2010-10-02, 12:36 PM

After a bit of try I found the relase notes for the 5.72 version (by the way, there has been a version 5.71 as well):

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/85c728ww.txt

There is a SMS support, BUT according to the notes, only for special operators!!!

What kind of network are you unsing?

Options

67 Posts

05-19-2010

Lao People's Democratic Republic

72 Signins

640 Page Views

• Views: 640
  • Message 72 of 181

2010-10-02, 14:57 PM

Still not available through ThinkVantage Update as of 2nd October 2010 (Sat) and the staff from Lenovo confirmed on October 1st 2010???

Anyhow, I guess I would give Lenovo a chance to come up with Official version through their website.

However, if the SMS only work with some carriers, that does not help much, at least to me, as I am a road-warrior.

Let's wait for another 2-3 days, we have been waiting for the past half-year or so, why not spend another day or two?

Options

45 Posts

09-01-2010

Germany

141 Signins

960 Page Views

• Views: 960
  • Message 73 of 181

2010-10-02, 16:46 PM

jamesnb

I will wait I just did some research about the download. But

- As far I see this from now is at the staff here confirmed that the next version will be 5.72 what the download file definitatly is (user confirmed).

- Furthermore the download is the same directory as all final downlods of AC from lenovo, so this is no beta or simular I guess.

- For me this looks like a offical Version, it is just not linked to the website.

I do not expect any further changes until the software is offically linked to the website...

Options

5469 Posts

04-25-2008

United States of America

39791 Signins

761115 Page Views

• Views: 761115
  • Message 74 of 181

2010-10-04, 12:50 PM

Access Connections 5.72 for Windows 7 is now on the support page:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-73682

Version 5.72 is the 85c728ww files. For some reason the 5.62 files are also listed. I've submitted a Site feedback form about this using the link on the left of the support page.

Please come back and share your experiences other members who have contributed to this thread!

USB-C: Just cos it fits don't mean it works.
I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Options

29 Posts

07-21-2010

South Africa

41 Signins

400 Page Views

• Views: 400
  • Message 75 of 181

2010-10-04, 13:43 PM

Bananaman

Firstly mate, you are one brave fruit! :-)

Secondly, Im afraid it's the same business. I downloaded the correct file (85c728ww) installed it over the version 5.72 I had previously installed. Forced restart. No change. I even went as far as removing Access Connections completely, rebooting, reinstalling from the correct file, rebooted and absolutely no difference.

Thirdly, I checked the links closely and if you go to the support page you linked and see the address of the actual link for 85c728ww you will see its the same file repository that I put up a few days ago. See above. I should have looked there first as it would have saved me some time and effort but also at least I know I was thorough.

What I did find almost amusing (as there is little point getting any more pissed off at this), when I uninstalled AC, during the uninstall process, it actually had the nerve to ask me, "Would you like to keep existing SMS messages / Phonebook. See that is quite funny isnt it? :-). So I guess this brings me to the next point...

So sadly we are no closer to the solution other than a comment made by johnripper earlier that its only available for certain operators? Or as it says in the 5.72 readme on the same page:

[New functions or enhancements]
- Added support for SMS for AT&T, Vodafone, Telstra and Telecom New Zealand
  networks. This SMS feature supports only English.

If this is the case then it's quite sad as "other" Lenovo users will have to continue using the Sony software that does not discriminate on operators or regions.

Thanks for the try there Bananaman!

Cheers

Hoox

Options

5469 Posts

04-25-2008

United States of America

39791 Signins

761115 Page Views

• Message 76 of 181

2010-10-04, 13:54 PM

Hi hookins!

Thanks for coming back with your result. Sorry 5.72 doesn't help you :smileysad:. It may help others... I have no inside information about what's going on here.

One suggestion I have is to see if your carrier's connection utility supports SMS. You don't HAVE to have Access Connections installed to use your WWAN card (indeed if you just want the data connection, Windows does fine on its own).

Hope this helps.

Options

29 Posts

07-21-2010

South Africa

41 Signins

400 Page Views

• Message 77 of 181

2010-10-04, 13:57 PM

Bananaman....

Tell me, did you install it and do you actually have access to the new SMS function? As a volunteer do you own a Lenovo laptop with Mobile Broadband or do you have a more reliable Sony Vaio? :-)

Another twist!

I had a lightbulb moment that lasted for around 4 seconds!

Go to the installation directory: C:\Program Files\Lenovo\Access Connection and you will see a lovely little application called, wait for it, SMS_Application.

So its confirmed, 5.72 does have it. Try run it. It shows in Task Manager for 2 seconds before vanishing again. How does one get this app up and running? Or is that just a service file?

Oh well... I think Im about to give up.

Later all

Hoox

Options

29 Posts

07-21-2010

South Africa

41 Signins

400 Page Views

• Message 78 of 181

2010-10-04, 14:10 PM

Thanks bananaman

Yes the carrier Cell C in South Africa most certainly supports SMS. On their "own" branded software that operates as the application for the USB stick modem they not only have SMS funtionality but also show usage cap balance and even handles service messages. You know, the shortcuts for things like cell phone banking and balance enquiries, eg. *140*321# for menu driven funtionality. Unfortunately I chose not to spend the $100 on this modem as my X201 tablet has Mobile Broadband so I felt I didnt need the additional hardware. I also dont want to buy this modem now as Im somewhat of a globe-trotter (not as in Harlem fame) and I will always be using different operators from around the world.

Thanks again for your bravery in throwing in your support here!

Regards

Hoox

Options

5469 Posts

04-25-2008

United States of America

39791 Signins

761115 Page Views

• Message 79 of 181

2010-10-04, 14:29 PM

No I haven't tried the Access Connections SMS function, but I expect we'll be hearing from others soon! I use WWAN data connections, only occasionally, and Windows 7 does the job for me.

Have you tested to see if the Cell C connection manager will recognize and work with your WWAN card?

Options

29 Posts

07-21-2010

South Africa

41 Signins

400 Page Views

• Message 80 of 181

2010-10-04, 15:17 PM

Hey

Yeah I did install the Cell C software and gave it a run but it's actually specific to the Huawei data card and branded as Cell C. As shown:

http://www.cellc.co.za/devices/page/devices/21.6Mbps_USB_Speed_Stick

and

http://www.cellc.co.za/devices/page/devices/7.2Mbps_USB_Speed_Stick

There is no way to change this and make it look at the internal Lenovo Gobi 2000 device. I did try that because if that had worked it would have been the answer and I would have made it available for everyone here. If someone can get it to work then hullelujah! But I doubt it.

http://www.cellc.co.za/internet/page/drivers/downloads (Please note! This is NOT a solution! Merely a suggestion for those who want to give it a shot!)

Good luck!

Cheers

Hoox

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms