Vancouver

22 Signins

186 Page Views

• Views: 186
  • Message 1 of 6

Access Connections Automatic Location Switching Behaviour

2011-08-09, 18:47 PM

Hey Guys,

Just thought I would post my question here to see if anyone can give me a definate answer about this.

I'm trying to configure Access Connections to automatically switch their profiles when they get docked back in the office when coming off WiFi.

I've already configured all of the profiles to disconnect from the network/disable the radio when switching to another location. I've also gone into the Automatic Location Switching window and included the Etherent ports in the switching.

What I've found is that if the wired connection doesn't have a  gateway, the machine will hang around on both profiles until either WiFi is switched off or it seems to decide when it wants to switch (looks like it picks up a MAC from a switch of some sort.) If there is a gateway assigned to the LAN it will switch as soon as it's detected and it seems to work great.

Also it seems like I can't move the network connection higher up in the priority list in some versions of Access Connections, however this looks like it's by design.

I've already checked in network connections and the LAN connection is higher up in the binding order of things.

So in a slightly round-about and confusing way, is there anyway to get the machines to reliablity and predictibly switch profiles when docked in? It would need to be done without using gateways on the LAN and some machines will still be able to see the WiFi network. So we've been asking users to disable their radio's using the switch for the time being.

Let me know if I need to clarify myself.....I think I might have confused myself trying to explain it all out ><

Thanks

Options

20 Posts

08-11-2010

Vancouver

22 Signins

186 Page Views

• Message 2 of 6

Re: Access Connections Automatic Location Switching Behaviour

2011-08-09, 18:48 PM

Also, is there anyway to set Access Connections to look for a network beacon of some sort other than the gateway? i.e. if it checked the MAC of the DHCP/DNS server?

Options

288 Posts

11-28-2007

US

412 Signins

9231 Page Views

• Views: 9231
  • Message 3 of 6

2011-08-11, 17:56 PM

Correct, Access Connections uses the gateway as part of learning a particular ethernet connection.

A work around is to make the wireless and wired a single multi-connection profile. That way when the ethernet is connected, it will turn off the wireless, rather than have two separate profiles.

Also, if not already, be sure to be at the latest version of Access Connections and that all the prerequisite files are also at the latest levels.

Options

20 Posts

08-11-2010

Vancouver

22 Signins

186 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2011-08-31, 19:43 PM
Thanks LANOgre,

I'm testing the solution right now and it seems to work for the most part when the laptop has a gateway assigned to it thru DHCP.

However most clients use a proxy to get out to the internet so they won't have a gateway address. So I'm finding that the behavior is a little inconsistent, usually takes a minute or two for it to happen. Or if the user moves from switch to switch, it will prompt you for the location but that seems to be on it's own schedule.
Options

7 Posts

11-24-2009

Kansas

10 Signins

105 Page Views

• Views: 105
  • Message 5 of 6

2012-02-12, 19:46 PM

I think I have a related question.  I use my laptop at home and at the office.  At either location, the connection can be either wired or wireless.  At the office, I have an application that starts automatically when wired but I don't want it to run when wireless so I have separate profiles for the wired and wireless office network.  When I have been on the wired office network, and then start the laptop at home on the wired network, it still uses the office profile which sets the wrong default printer.   Today, I was using the wireless home network and then put the laptop in its mini-dock.  I thought it would switch to the wired home network because they are in the same profile but it switched to the wired office profile.  It can tell the wireless profiles apart because it has to connect to the correct network name and use the correct key.  What do I have to change in my home and/or office network to make it select the correct profile?

Fred
A21p, T42p, T520
Options

288 Posts

11-28-2007

US

412 Signins

9231 Page Views

• Views: 9231
  • Message 6 of 6

2012-02-17, 18:10 PM

Are the home and office wired IP address ranges different?  (i.e. use 192.168.1.x at home and 10.1.1.x at work)

If they aren't different, that would be part of the problem. Also, they need to be using DHCP. Location switching won't work if static IP addresses are being used.

The other is to make sure it has learned the upstream neighbor MAC address.

Open Access Connections, and click on the Advanced button in the upper right (skip this if it says Basic)

Then click on the Tools tab, then click on Location Switching.

Make sure Enable automatic location switching is checked and that the "include Ethernet..." is checked (sound like they are, but best to be sure).

Now look at each profile.  Does both of them say "1 saved port"? If not (like one says two), then it could be that the MAC that should be for Home has instead showed under the Office profile. If so, click on Edit Saved Ports at the bootom left and then delete all the saved ports.  Then when you connect to a new wired connection, it will offer you what profile to save them under (be sure to click Save, not just press Enter).

Hope this helps...

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete