08-20-2009

UK

5 Signins

177 Page Views

• Views: 177
  • Message 1 of 7

Access connections 5.30 Auto location switching problem

2009-08-20, 12:52 PM

Trying to configure AC with 3 profiles.  1.Office wired, 2.wireless and 3.'Out of office wired'   The last profile is for use when visiting client sites, makes proxy settings blank, ethernet ip to dhcp etc. I only want the Out of office wired profile to be applied manually so that whenever returning to the office and booting from cold the Office wired profile will be applied.  AC doesnt' seem to actually work properly.  I untick the 'Out of office wired' profile in Tools>Location Switching.  I return from client site the office and plug in and switch on from cold.  The first profile automatically applied is 'Out of office wired'.  Despite having unticked this profile in auto location switching it still applies.  I test in the office with the wireless profile and no cable.  I then switch off the wireless adapter and plug in the cable.  Result:  Profile3.  Out of office wired is auto applied.  Again it was unticked in Location Switching

Surely this behaviour is wrong and constitues a bug. 

Thinkvantage technologies seem to be going down hill.

Options

288 Posts

11-28-2007

US

412 Signins

9231 Page Views

• Views: 9231
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Access connections 5.30 Auto location switching problem

2009-08-20, 14:23 PM

Access Connections is applying the last correctly applied profile. This is normal behavior.

You do have ethernet enabled under location switching correctly and have used it to assign your office ethernet connect to your office wired profile?  If not, need to do that (You should be seeing saved MAC addresses under Edit Saved Ports)  That way when the ethernet connection is plugged in at the office, it will apply that profile correctly.

Options

2 Posts

08-20-2009

UK

5 Signins

177 Page Views

• Views: 177
  • Message 3 of 7

2009-09-01, 13:55 PM

Yes, ethernet is enabled and the port is saved for profile 1, the office profile.

The Out of office profile, no.3 is unticked for auto location switching - To me this indicates that the port should not be saved.

If I apply the Out of office profile and then return to the office, not only is the unticked profile 3 applied automatically but AC shows it has saved the ethernet port for profile3 and removed it from profile 1.

I have two questions: 

- If this is how it's supposed to work, what's the point of being to able to untick the profiles in auto location switching?

- Is the last correctly applied profile saved and applied after - a cold boot?  - a disconnection?  - a hibernation?

Options

7 Posts

04-09-2009

Dallas Texas

9 Signins

114 Page Views

• Views: 114
  • Message 4 of 7

2009-11-13, 14:51 PM

To All:

I'm experiencing something similar but with these differences.  I do not have location profile switching enablesd at all.  I'm running AC V 5.33 under XP SP2 on a T61.  When ever I start up the computer, AC tries to use the last (and only) wireless profile I've used even though I do not have this wireless profile checked as a usable profile under the location profiles tab.  The only location profile I have checked does not hav the wireless port enabled, only the wired port.

Peter Saxe

Options

288 Posts

11-28-2007

US

412 Signins

9231 Page Views

• Views: 9231
  • Message 5 of 7

2009-11-16, 14:36 PM

Working as designed.  Access Connections is a connections manager.  So one of it's primary functions is to keep you connected.  So when you restart, it will arrempt to connect to the last successfully connected profile.

Options

7 Posts

04-09-2009

Dallas Texas

9 Signins

114 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2009-11-16, 14:41 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Why then is it trying to use this wireless when it wasn't the last profileused to connect?  It was the last wireless profile used to connect but it's not been checked under location profiles as an active profile.  it was th elast wireless profile used to connect before I made it inactive.

Options

7 Posts

04-09-2009

Dallas Texas

9 Signins

114 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2009-11-16, 14:42 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Spelling corrections.

Why then is it trying to use this wireless when it wasn't the last profile used to connect?  It was the last wireless profile used to connect but it's not been checked active under location profiles as an active profile.  It was the last wireless profile used to connect before I made it inactive.

Pete

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete