Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemPre-Installed Lenovo Software and Applications
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

06-29-2010

Houston, TX

2 Signins

37 Page Views

• Views: 37
  • Message 1 of 3

Can I prevent a user from Deleting the Group Policy deployed power plan?

2010-06-29, 14:39 PM

I have Power Manager version 3.20 installed and am using the Group Policy template to deploy a customized power plan.  I do not want my users to have the ability to delete this custom plan, but I cannot find the option in the Group Policy to change the setting that would grey-out the Delete button in Power Manager.

I have located the registry value that changes the function of Power Manager, it is: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\PowerSchemes\42617646-BC99-48E2-B3AF-C562C25F4098\ProhibitModification.  If the value is 0, then the delete button is available.  If the value is 5, then the delete button is greyed-out.

The problems is that the Power Plan ID number (the 42617646-BC99... part in the reg key above) changes from computer to computer.  That ID string seems to be tied somehow to the specific computer.  So, I cannot just create a Group Policy Preference to change that value in the registry, because that value is always going to have a different name.

The computers are all ThinkPad T400 model and are running Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit.

Can anyone suggest a different method to change this setting?  If not, is there any chance that the Power Manager application can be upgraded to include this control?

Thank you!

Options

921 Posts

11-26-2008

Norway

8089 Signins

59129 Page Views

• Views: 59129
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Can I prevent a user from Deleting the Group Policy deployed power plan?

2010-06-29, 16:44 PM

It might be possible to change the adm file to include this setting. I never really looked at this administrative template so not sure what it looks like. You could also create your own adm file, but might be a bit tricky since the location is different between computers. Even if they delete it the power scheme should be re-applied when the GPO is updated.

I also have to add that you can delete the power scheme from windows as well so even if that button is disabled you need a GPO that lock the windows settings for the power scheme as well. As long as they are local admins it's always possible to get around this and manage to delete the scheme in any case.

-gan

Options

5884 Posts

11-24-2007

United States of America

12810 Signins

291275 Page Views

• Views: 291275
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Can I prevent a user from Deleting the Group Policy deployed power plan?

2010-06-30, 1:14 AM

welcome to the forum!

to add to what gan said, page 6 of the power manager deployment guide covers this policy over active directory.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=TVAN-ADMIN#pmat

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-70419

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad X1C7

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)