SK

55 Signins

503 Page Views

• Views: 503
  • Message 131 of 521

Re: Changes to System Update and related tools - Please read

2009-04-12, 6:03 AM

wrote:
What is the sense to compare SU and RSS?! Sounds crazy for me. Everybody is free to use the tool she/he wants, but please, do not play this silly game "RSS is OK". Could this (or even any!) feeds reader install the updates?! No way! So is it able to replace Software Installer? Of course not! So what is the point of some people here who tries to push the idea of RSS?! I really could not understand this, sorry.

Hey, no one says it's better or compares those things. It was here just stated earlier, that for an individual user it could be the way to hold on until May. Of course it is not a solution. If the SU or MC+ are not up and running again in May, then it leaves the whole thing back to nothing. Value added gone.

Options

27 Posts

08-09-2008

Germany

210 Signins

927 Page Views

• Views: 927
  • Message 132 of 521

2009-04-12, 10:21 AM

Hey, the simple bookmark on "Downloads and Drivers" page with pre-defined machine type is much pretty the same. :-) (Oh, Gosh. What is in that case the damned difference between THINKPAD and any cr&pbook assembled upon the laps in the middle of nowhere in China?!) Works brilliant for the individual user, who:

- is able to understand the update isrelevant for the owned machine

- do have the pop-up blocker in the browser disabled

- is able to control the download location

- is able to locate the extraction folder

- is able to understand how to start the installer from this folder

and so on.

Do you understand that A LOT OF PEOPLE even could not imagine what all this is about?! And they are MILLIONS!

ThinkPad 2912-3AG Win 7 Pro 64/ 4 GB RAM / 128 SSD
14,1" SXGA+ - The Last Possible NOTEBOOK Size :)
Options

23 Posts

04-03-2009

SK

55 Signins

503 Page Views

• Views: 503
  • Message 133 of 521

2009-04-13, 9:14 AM

The good thing about those millions of normal users is, that they do not even make it to this forum to find out about RSS and how to use it : o)))))

No, seriously, I totaly agree on your points. I have just mentioned that it could be suitable for people, who need to solve something not working, until the month of May.

Options

198 Posts

06-26-2008

Warszawa, Poland

1383 Signins

4928 Page Views

• Views: 4928
  • Message 134 of 521

2009-04-13, 9:15 AM

This is pretty silly, I wonder how many people posting here are really like "My computer is working fine but I can't satisfy my update addiction because update tool isn't working" =)  

--
T540 i7 4700MQ, GT 730M, 8GB RAM, Win7
Options

228 Posts

01-07-2009

Gainesville Florida USA

5240 Signins

6721 Page Views

• Views: 6721
  • Message 135 of 521

2009-04-14, 1:09 AM

Lenovo is trashing the world's best brand name in computer support --- IBM.

Note from Moderator:  Some content which violated the forum rules was removed.

Message Edited by JaneL on 04-14-2009 09:07 AM
Options

45 Posts

04-02-2009

US

168 Signins

1213 Page Views

• Views: 1213
  • Message 136 of 521

2009-04-14, 8:06 AM

Galaxer wrote:

Hey, the simple bookmark on "Downloads and Drivers" page with pre-defined machine type is much pretty the same. :-)

Galaxer: I am a long time SU user and am getting updates at the moment using your approach having bookmarked the page with updates for my machine and OS. 

RSS feeds are less useful as they are not particular to your OS; having received a notice about a Win XP update when I'm only interested in Vista updates.

Do you understand that A LOT OF PEOPLE even could not imagine what all this is about?! And they are MILLIONS!

The issue being discussed here is not IF people can apply update manually but WHY reduce capability for a customer after SU has provided a useful and seemingly valuable service for so many years.   

In particular the process of applying hot fixes is much slower and convoluted manually (since you have to register for the hotfix from Microsoft and wait for an email etc). 

In many cases I read that people are angry that they have paid a premium for a product with these 'nice to have' features (that they are used to) and that has changed without sight of a better solution.

Message Edited by skovron on 14-04-2009 06:07 PM
--
Thinkpad P1 20MD, Xeon, Windows 10 x64

Options

3215 Posts

12-22-2008

CA

12288 Signins

176983 Page Views

• Views: 176983
  • Message 137 of 521

2009-04-14, 12:55 PM

wrote:

This is pretty silly...

Dzien dobry pan Lukas,

Not really. Many, er most, people use TVSU just as they use Windows Update. They have no idea how to keep their systems current using manual techniques. You and I may be able to fendfor ourselves, but what about those users?

Using Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

3215 Posts

12-22-2008

CA

12288 Signins

176983 Page Views

• Message 138 of 521

2009-04-14, 12:58 PM

Back on 04-05-2009 12:15 PM wrote:

One more thing...

1. The link Mark provided in the first post goes to a page that's vaguely worded (in part), "Lenovo is pursuing alternative solutions for system updates and future offerings will be communicated through the new Lenovo Message Center Plus." The way I read that there is no commitment to replace TVSU with a comparable solution nor is there any estimate of an availability date.

2. However, when I try to run TVSU now I get a message that explicitly says there will be an alternative in May using your new messaging system. (Link to image.)

So which is it?

Is Lenovo commited to providing a timely replacement for TVSU as indicated in 2. or is Lenovo still at the stage of "pursuing alternative solutions" as in 1. with the possibility that you'll decide not to develop such a solution or that it will take months or even years for it to become available?

P.S. Does the "May" in 2. refer to 2009 or some other year? ;)

Any definitive response from Lenovo about this?

Options

198 Posts

06-26-2008

Warszawa, Poland

1383 Signins

4928 Page Views

• Views: 4928
  • Message 139 of 521

2009-04-14, 13:35 PM

wrote:

Not really. Many, er most, people use TVSU just as they use Windows Update. They have no idea how to keep their systems current using manual techniques. You and I may be able to fendfor ourselves, but what about those users?

I gave my T61 to my mother three months ago. Everything was working alright and it still does. I run TVSU once, there were no critical ones and optional wifi driver and bluetooth driver. I thought about installing it but than what would I achieve this way? Everything works and I would just waste my time. There was a small chance something (like bluetooth mouse) would not work and it could only possibly create more work to be done. Again whats the point?

Most of the posts here complain about not being able to update but almost no one mentions why would they want to update. And everybody is complaining about taking away an important and useful service - the new solution from lenovo (the one to be in may) might in fact be better and more reliable. Has everybody forgot about numerous forum threads about "TVSU - package server unavailble"? If someone was setting up a system on ThinkPad from scratch he had to do exactly what has to e done now - go to the website and browse for drivers.

The biggest problem I saw was graphics driver, which was announced to be solved in the end of april/beginning of may and thats exactly when new update utility is suppose to be availble. So if an update will be need there probably will be a tool to apply it. Right now chilling out is what can give the best results =)

--
T540 i7 4700MQ, GT 730M, 8GB RAM, Win7
Options

3215 Posts

12-22-2008

CA

12288 Signins

176983 Page Views

• Message 140 of 521

2009-04-14, 15:27 PM

> Again whats the point?

There are two important points as well as other, less critical ones

1. Fix a problem you're experiencing.

2. Close a security exposure in a driver or TV application.

-----

3. Improve functionality, e.g. in wireless device management

4. Extend the life of your ThinkPad, e.g. improvements in power management.

5. Pro-actively fix programming errors that may affect you in the future.

6. Pro-actively add support for new hardware options that you may install in the future.

> the new solution from lenovo (the one to be in may) might in fact be better and more reliable.

What new solution from Lenovo? See my previous post. There is no commitment to a replacement solution in May, let alone one that is better and more reliable.

> Has everybody forgot about numerous forum threads about "TVSU - package server unavailble"?

That happens from time to time. Even if it's impossible to fix in TVSU for architectural reasons, why was it necessary to withdraw TVSU without notice and before a replacement was introduced?

> If someone was setting up a system on ThinkPad from scratch he had to do exactly what has to e done now - go to the website and browse for drivers.

Setting up a system from scratch is a lengthy and somewhat complicated procedure under the best circumstances. I've done it many times using driver matrices and many times using TVSU. There is no comparison; TVSU is much easier and more convenient.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete