Online, USA

169 Signins

429 Page Views

• Views: 429
  • Message 141 of 521

Re: Changes to System Update and related tools - Please read

2009-04-14, 16:06 PM

wrote:

Setting up a system from scratch is a lengthy and somewhat complicated procedure under the best circumstances. I've done it many times using driver matrices and many times using TVSU. There is no comparison; TVSU is much easier and more convenient.

This person is obviously not in IT or has never had to set up more than one laptop.  Your points are all very salient and consise.
 TVSU is (was) an important  and valueable part of the Lenovo experience for both business and consumer users of  many of their products like Thinkpads and Thinkcentres.  Keeping drivers up to date and current is just good operating practice and it shouldn't have to be a chore.  TVSU kept the chore managable and almost seemless if you had a healthy computer to start with.  
I've brought numerous Thinkpads and Thinkcentres back to life here with minimal effort because of TVSU.  In fact, it was a big reason why we upgraded to XP on some older systems just so we could utilize it.  We don't use Vista here.   know a lot of other business won't use it either.  My partner works in IT at Chicago Public Schools and they won't have it on any of their machines either.  In fact, a few months ago she brought home a brand new W500 demo model that Lenovo was trying to get them to buy (in large quantities) in their system.  Imagine how many laptops Chicago Public Schools has, and how many new ones they buy every year.  It had XP-pro loaded on it even though the demo had a Vista license sticker on the back of it.  They won't touch Vista and lenovo knows that.  I told my Girlfriend to give it a thumbs up on the TP's at that time. 
Now after this TVSU issue I've told her to withdraw that support.  She is by no means the only person making these kinds of decisions, but she's in direct contact with many of the people who ARE.  Lenovo is making a huge mistake here by pulling TVSU now and not giving any clear indictation that it will be replaced by something substantial.  The feedback that she gave me from work was that her collegues felt the same way and Lenovo is seriously jeopardizing thier sales with this major client because of this gaffe. 
This is all very sad because I had a lot of loyalty to Lenovo as they were the best in the business up until this point.  They have burned a lot of bridges very fast and many people are loosing a lot of respect for them in a very fast hurry.  All in all this is going to turn into a very bad business decision for them in the end I believe.  
 Lead follow or get out of the way.  We saw what the US automaker Dodge did with that motto.  Hopefully Lenovo won't follow them by getting out the way themselves.
 Fix TVSS or replace it now -not sometime in the who-knows future.  This outage is currently making them look like they are eMachines.  They way they are handling it is making them look totally inept to their customers.  It's almost embarassing watch.

Options

14 Posts

06-24-2008

Texas

40 Signins

235 Page Views

• Views: 235
  • Message 142 of 521

2009-04-14, 18:15 PM

Lenovo, I understand there are costs for maintaining your update tool, so I propose the following utility to lower your costs.

http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/Updater/index.html

It's a free update system. You can probably get the source from the author and put it in escrow. He will maintain the update application, alleviating thoses costs for you. You just have to maintain the installers that install the updates.

Options

26 Posts

08-09-2008

Germany

210 Signins

927 Page Views

• Views: 927
  • Message 143 of 521

2009-04-14, 18:28 PM

lukaszsw wrote: > Again, what the point?

The point is the following: withdrawing the fully functioning tool without any comparable replacement (come again sometime in Mayokay, we didt manage itso come again in JuneJulyin a month of Sundays…) is the most unbelievable chutzpah Ive ever seen from the vendor of a scale of Lenovo.

My point actually is: the people who manage Lenovo now are simply unprofessional. Another sign of their unprofessionalism is that after such a stress thread appears here in Forums, nobody from Lenovo came out to talk to us, nobody even tried to explain their reasons. I have no other choice: by now I am quite sure they are ignoring their customers. The intellectual, educational and personality levels of those people do not allow them to realize the difference between being a good manufacturer and the owner of a Brand Name like ThinkPad.

So, maybe ThinkPad is on the way to cemetery?

ThinkPad 2912-3AG Win 7 Pro 64/ 4 GB RAM / 128 SSD
14,1" SXGA+ - The Last Possible NOTEBOOK Size :)
Options

20 Posts

04-10-2009

Online, USA

169 Signins

429 Page Views

• Views: 429
  • Message 144 of 521

2009-04-14, 18:36 PM

wrote:

My point actually is: the people who manage Lenovo now are simply unprofessional. Another sign of their unprofessionalism is that after such a stress thread appears here in Forums, nobody from Lenovo came out to talk to us, nobody even tried to explain their reasons. I have no other choice: by now I am quite sure they are ignoring their customers (emphasis mine)

After 2 weeks, that much at least has been made abundantly clear.   My only hope is that they change their minds on this one.  I don't have very much hope on that either at this point.  And because of this  I can no longer strain my own reputation by continuing to recommend my company stick with Lenovo/Thinkpad in the long run.   

Options

186 Posts

01-07-2009

Gainesville Florida USA

5240 Signins

6721 Page Views

• Views: 6721
  • Message 145 of 521

2009-04-14, 21:08 PM

I hope Lenovo's top management was told of this thread and is reading every word of 15 pages of posts.

I am a former IBM corporate director of information who was responsible for worldwide media relations. I fully understand IBM's commitment to customer service and satisfaction.  I also understand that if this uproar leaks to the media it could help destroy Lenovo's credibilty.

My W700 is terrific ... except  ...  the compact flash card reader is essentially non-functional.  I talked to an American tech support person who said 1) she did not know what a compact flash card reader is,  2) was "not up to speed on the W700" and 3) promised to call me back after she "researched the isssue."  No one ever called me back so my $6,000 notebook does not have a functional CF card reader. 

Also, for $6,000 it came with no DVD for Windows Ultimate, which makes a simple repair to Vista almost impossible.

Options

66 Posts

10-16-2008

UK

99 Signins

900 Page Views

• Views: 900
  • Message 146 of 521

2009-04-14, 21:35 PM

Having read all the posts on this...yes all 15 pages....I have come to this conclusion.

1. Lenovo are entitled to change how updates are delivered...but we all expect that to be an improvement on current for it to be a success. We do not yet know how good that will be.

2. Lenovo should not have withdrawn the current system UNTIL the new system was proven and available...

3. Hunting for drivers is the norm for a lot of vendors so we at least have this as an interim and like someone else pointed out most of us are techie savvy so we can cope in the short term.

4. Lenovo's constant failure to monitor , and respond to , the feedback here does not endear them to anyone....I like my Lenovo but would I buy a Dell just because of this?? Probabaly not..and I guess that's what Lenovo are counting on...they just don't understand how important this is to us.

I will keep further comments until I see the new delivery system...in the interim I will remove system Update si nce it serves no purpose!

Lenovo X200 Tablet / 350Gb HDD / 4GB RAM / Windows 7
Options

16 Posts

01-01-2008

Hong Kong

36 Signins

260 Page Views

• Views: 260
  • Message 147 of 521

2009-04-15, 2:50 AM

Is Lenovo serious on removing System Update? By God! I stick to IBM Computers (now Lenovo) because of all the software for system maintenance is handy. Think! If you got your system recovered for every 2-3 months like me, how important RnR and SU is!!! You are forcing people switching to other brand huh? Don't make the TP name shame!!!

Aptiva 2187-16V
ThinkCentre A50 8090-I1H
ThinkPad T61 7663-B37 | X200 7458-PB8
Options

39 Posts

06-08-2008

Paris, France

38 Signins

484 Page Views

• Views: 484
  • Message 148 of 521

2009-04-15, 8:43 AM

I did a manual update last night. Took me 4 hours.

With TVSU, it was far less than 1 hour....

Thank you Lenovo for the great service....

Grainy LCD and poor service...Didn't have that with my IBM R50p

Edit: I wrote a post in a french forum in which I contribute from time to time, about the death of TVSU and the end of automated updates. Disappointed, as every true Thinkpad fan may be now, they published a news about it. Maybe we will ear about it more and more.
Message Edited by Quantique on 04-15-2009 03:30 PM
T61p 6460-D8G, Vista (downgrade to XP soon...), T9300, Quadro FX570M, 15,4' WUXGA...
Options

23 Posts

11-26-2007

Silver Spring, MD, USA

138 Signins

841 Page Views

• Views: 841
  • Message 149 of 521

2009-04-15, 16:45 PM

I won't bother to repeat what everyone else has said (and I've said to our Lenovo rep) but while wandering the Lenovo support site, I stumbled on something that is equally disturbing.

It appears to be a description of how System Update will be replaced by a piece of LANdesk.  That might be OK except it appears that in order to use it, the software will have to be installed on a server!!!

While that's not necessarily a disaster in my enterprise (but will be a pain in the rear), it will certainly affect all the home and SMB users without a server.

I hope that that is just one of the options to be offered.  

Options

14 Posts

06-24-2008

Texas

40 Signins

235 Page Views

• Views: 235
  • Message 150 of 521

2009-04-15, 20:03 PM

Yet another option... Google open sources their update utility.

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/04/google-opens-source-code-for-software-updater.ars

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete