04-15-2009

US

99 Signins

836 Page Views

• Views: 836
  • Message 151 of 521

a better updater, other updaters

2009-04-15, 22:34 PM

Having TVSU pop up a confusing dialog after 17% progress is one of the worst notifications of a change in policy in the history of customer support.  After re-running the program four times I found these forums to figure out what's going on and joined just to comment.

I administer a spouse's T61.  She lets Windows Update run, and I occasionally run TVSU.  It tells me what versions are already installed, what's in each update, runs all the updates I select.  It has flaws but overall is (WAS?!) pretty excellent and it made me feel good about Lenovo. We can only hope that something better shows up in May.

kamiller42 mentioned a couple of alternative updaters.  There are many more whose source code is free.  Mozilla has the slickest, Application Update Service, it downloads the minimal diff to the new functionality and the application updates itself in place, but assumes you want the update. Cygwin Setup is the most complext, it lets you view all available packages, or just ones with updates, and you can remove packages.

It's completely ridiculous that on Windows I have 11 updaters (Windows, Acrobat, Firefox, Flash, Google (at least two separate updaters), iTunes, Java, Norton, ThinkVantage, cygwin, ...) all running little stub programs checking for updates.  It's one of the more compelling arguments for open source software; all decent Linux and BSD distributions can manage and update all installed and available software packages from a single program instead of the mess on Windows.

(Lenovo T61, Vista)

Options

5 Posts

04-15-2009

columbus, oh

6 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 152 of 521

Re: a better updater, other updaters

2009-04-15, 23:58 PM

This is a case of a company being out of touch with their customers and blowing a good thing. It happens all the time. They are not going to provide a good solution, evidenced by the fact that they don't reply to the forum posts at all. It is sickening to see them do things like this when there is clear outcry.

I loved my ThinkPad, it was a perfect laptop in every way. And I was just getting ready to buy a new one until I reformatted and started trying to do system updates without TVSU. There is absolutely no way I can put up with the hassle going forward. So basically, I'm going to buy an inferior laptop from another company and they are going to lose out on all my future sales. Everyone loses. 

Options

22 Posts

04-03-2009

SK

55 Signins

503 Page Views

• Views: 503
  • Message 153 of 521

Re: Changes to System Update and related tools - Please read

2009-04-16, 11:05 AM

The thread is becoming quite long, so here is a link summary for you:

The "official" info page:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-72207

Other pages:

http://www.thinkpads.com/2009/04/02/lenovo-discontinues-automatic-system-update/

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=74929

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=367950

And the last but not least, the petition again : o)

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/TVSU

If there really should not be any appropriate replacement for TVSU, and not only for admins, but also for individual customers, like me, than unfortunately I can only agree with the things said earlier: Lenovo has got hell lot of customers and it had betrayed them. Just like that. The results are already here. The companies do not want to wait until May and are turning they budgets to other brands and producers. This business strategy is called 'loss-loss'. Sad, very sad.

Message Edited by Culex42 on 04-16-2009 01:08 PM
Options

10 Posts

04-06-2009

Zagreb, Croatia

117 Signins

539 Page Views

• Views: 539
  • Message 154 of 521

2009-04-16, 12:10 PM

I'm not happy with the way this change came and disabled the entire update system. I was also never really happy with insufficient definitions of what drivers or utilities actually did, as described in their text files.

Hopefully, this will mean making something _better_ than TVSU:

a) an update system that gives you the option not to keep installed drivers on your disk

b) an update system that doesn't rely on you already having drivers to find and download drivers for your hardware (kind of what Windows update was supposed to be but never became).

Options

10 Posts

04-06-2009

Zagreb, Croatia

117 Signins

539 Page Views

• Views: 539
  • Message 155 of 521

2009-04-16, 12:10 PM

I'm not happy with the way this change came and disabled the entire update system. I was also never really happy with insufficient definitions of what drivers or utilities actually did, as described in their text files.

Hopefully, this will mean making something _better_ than TVSU:

a) an update system that gives you the option not to keep installed drivers on your disk

b) an update system that doesn't rely on you already having drivers to find and download drivers for your hardware (kind of what Windows update was supposed to be but never became).

Options

5 Posts

04-16-2009

Switzerland

19 Signins

227 Page Views

• Views: 227
  • Message 156 of 521

2009-04-16, 15:31 PM

That sounds really perfect.

After spending half a year to have Update Retriever (still not properly working) kind of running for our local repository and having applied a GPO to all our workstations so TVSU would check on our local repository (download speed from lenovo servers was too poor), putting in place file replication in EMEA and AP, creating new Images for our systems with MDT including TVSU, LENOVO discontinues.

Actuallly, they should have done that a long time ago.

I am really frustrated sine TVSU and Update retriever have never worked properly.

What ever happened to Thin Installer ?? 

I can not understand how they can release products like this in obviously incomplete states?

Now I just installed message center plus and am curious how I am going to configure this to check our local repository !?

People from Lenovo: Finish what you start and don't go from TVSU to Thin Installer to Message Center Plus !

AND provide proper, easy to find documentation.  

Oh well, if Message Center Plus isn't working properly I am sure they'll come up with the next great tool. 

Options

3965 Posts

11-20-2007

US

23520 Signins

803285 Page Views

• Views: 803285
  • Message 157 of 521

2009-04-17, 0:43 AM

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

45 Posts

11-01-2008

Thailand

220 Signins

1110 Page Views

• Views: 1110
  • Message 158 of 521

2009-04-17, 16:42 PM
Hi there Mark

When i buy T400. I feel bad about my FLEX keyboard that LENOVO replace from the old parts. And now once again that LENOVO makes me feel bad about ThinkPad. I've trusted ThinkPad for along time but this make curious about ThinkPad Future. Hope you fix it out and bring back TVSU.
Options

14 Posts

04-13-2009

Austin, TX

22 Signins

130 Page Views

• Views: 130
  • Message 159 of 521

ERROR 95

2009-04-18, 0:36 AM
Error 95 from the Package Server??  When running the T Vantage System update.  Thanks. 
Options

1407 Posts

10-26-2008

California, United States

711 Signins

35916 Page Views

• Views: 35916
  • Message 160 of 521

Re: ERROR 95

2009-04-18, 1:16 AM
Automatic updates via ThinkVantage System Update is being discontinued. You can read more about this here.

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete