Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemPre-Installed Lenovo Software and Applications
All Forum Topics
Options

20 Posts

04-10-2009

Online, USA

169 Signins

429 Page Views

• Views: 429
  • Message 311 of 521

Re: Changes to System Update and related tools - Please read

2009-05-10, 2:53 AM

I don't mind that TVUR uploads everything in a machine type.  If Lenovo want's to cut down on bandwidth usage of thier servers that actually makes sense in the long run.  You download everything, but you'll only ever need to do it once.  I've got a whole HOST of machines and all the updates together don't even exceed 3 gigs of data.  That's really nothing.  I can burn that to a DVD and pretty much archive it to use later.  Heck if you burn it to a DVD-RW you could just point TVUR to it when you run it and never have to worry again about wasting hard drive space.  Share the drive and then TVSU could see it.

What Lenovo REALLY needs to do is to put the front-end of System Update together to include the GUI so that can be easily configured to find your repository on your network or on your local machine it is running from.  If they don't want SU to bother the central Lenovo Update Server every time it runs all they need to do is remove that address from the regestry and make it so that it doesn't have functionality to go WAN -and instead only be able to do LAN contacts.  

That's all they need to do.  They just need to give TVSU a simple GUI front end so that there is a pull-down menu to configure the regestry like a real "professional" program and get it to work with TVUR instead of having us do this BY HAND hacking into the registry.    Then all they need to do is to continue blocking their update server in China (or wherever the silly thing is) and they can do that from there like they already have done so far. 

Problem fixed (or could be).  I'm no programmer but I bet my GF (who is) could do this in a day if she had the source code.  They could have had this done April 2 but here it is the middle of May and we still have no good way to update our thinkpads and other Lenovo products other than muddling through them individually like we are cavemen living in the 20th century, or hacking into the registry to get SU to see the update file supposetory that TVUR has left in our hard drives.  

That is just shameful.  

Options

27 Posts

07-15-2008

California

26 Signins

126 Page Views

• Views: 126
  • Message 312 of 521

2009-05-11, 4:18 AM

wrote:

I don't mind that TVUR uploads everything in a machine type.  If Lenovo want's to cut down on bandwidth usage of thier servers that actually makes sense in the long run.  You download everything, but you'll only ever need to do it once.  I've got a whole HOST of machines and all the updates together don't even exceed 3 gigs of data.  That's really nothing.  I can burn that to a DVD and pretty much archive it to use later.  Heck if you burn it to a DVD-RW you could just point TVUR to it when you run it and never have to worry again about wasting hard drive space.  Share the drive and then TVSU could see it.

That strategy works fine for what UR is intended for, but not as a replacement for SU. I.e. it works well when you have a lot of machines you are maintaining because it only needs to download many things once for all of them (e.g. AC). As a replacement for SU on individual machines it sucks though because you need to download things which are not applicable, just so you can hide them (as I said in an earlier post, Intel drivers when you have nVidia graphics, also R&R if you use Acronis, WinDVD if you use something else ... the list goes on). Don't forget that your situation may not be the same as everyone else's: in your case, it sounds like you'd have been better off with UR and TI previously. I like your DVD-RW suggestion, although I probably use a DVD-RAM instead to make updating it easier.

What Lenovo REALLY needs to do is to put the front-end of System Update together to include the GUI so that can be easily configured to find your repository on your network or on your local machine it is running from.  If they don't want SU to bother the central Lenovo Update Server every time it runs all they need to do is remove that address from the regestry and make it so that it doesn't have functionality to go WAN -and instead only be able to do LAN contacts.  

That's all they need to do.  They just need to give TVSU a simple GUI front end so that there is a pull-down menu to configure the regestry like a real "professional" program and get it to work with TVUR instead of having us do this BY HAND hacking into the registry.    Then all they need to do is to continue blocking their update server in China (or wherever the silly thing is) and they can do that from there like they already have done so far. 

Problem fixed (or could be).

Nope, sorry, not fixed. It does not fix the limitations of UR. 

I'm no programmer but I bet my GF (who is) could do this in a day if she had the source code.  They could have had this done April 2 but here it is the middle of May and we still have no good way to update our thinkpads and other Lenovo products other than muddling through them individually like we are cavemen living in the 20th century, or hacking into the registry to get SU to see the update file supposetory that TVUR has left in our hard drives.  

That is just shameful.

And with that, I agree wholeheartedly!

Options

6 Posts

04-28-2008

Berlin, Germany

51 Signins

353 Page Views

• Views: 353
  • Message 313 of 521

2009-05-11, 13:55 PM

Hi,

I'm as well one of these guys, who are more than unhappy with Lenovos policy of discontinuing TVSU. First of all, stopping a service without offering an acceptable alternate is mostly no good idea. The way Lenovo is doing that leads to further frustration. In April TVSU tells you '...is planning a new blabla... pls come back in May...'. Now May is almost half over and no news from Lenovo. Such a behaviour is, even if common, ignorant as well.

For my opinion, the question is, who are the TP customers and why do they pay more for their notebooks as they would, if they buy comparable hardware of other brands? Solid hardware is one part, but you can get that from other manufaturers as well. Another big reason is definetely software and support, cause these factors reduce the TCO, what is extremely relevant for computers in primarily business surroundings. Discontinuing support for single customers might not affect big enterprises which have a central deployment for their updates, but there are a lot of small business users outside with TP notebooks and to them TVSU was a reliable, easy and costsaving way of keeping their soft- and hardware up-to-date. As a reseller for clients out of this segment, I know, what I am speaking above.

Getting it to the point, with this new policy Lenovo took away one of my best argues in a sales-talk. But probably they are not interested in these customers anymore.

Rgds

HFB

Options

4169 Posts

11-20-2007

United States of America

23525 Signins

803315 Page Views

• Views: 803315
  • Message 314 of 521

2009-05-11, 6:43 AM
Messages regarding forum policy were moved to the Forum Housekeeping board.

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

42 Posts

04-04-2009

UK, London

76 Signins

517 Page Views

• Views: 517
  • Message 315 of 521

2009-05-12, 1:56 AM

one word - "freaking comon" !

X301, 128 SSD, 4GB, Vista 32-Bit Ultimate
Options

95 Posts

07-24-2008

Argentina

155 Signins

1346 Page Views

• Views: 1346
  • Message 316 of 521

2009-05-12, 20:56 PM

Well system update also was another reason to get a lenovo for me, and I think all this just accumulate reason to don't trust in lenovo anymore. Now I'm changing the hdd and need to install everything back that took me last time abut a day and half to finish updating the computer, and I don't really want to think how long is going to take it now, but plus than that I'll possible need to go with a technician because I know very little about, and don't want spent time in learning how to update a system. So it will not cost me much more time including the time I spent writing and reading here, but the price the technician wants to earn to do the work, plus the time in searching one, etc.

So also the sata2 working as sata1 was not good news at all

And plus all this when I call lenovo attention is sarcastic? like. When I bought this notebook that comes with vista ultimate I needed XP so one of the reasons was that it has a downgrade option, they send me for that 3 times the same cds because of errors, when I get the last one I also get the vista updates for my software so never need them (all about 2 months, and spoke with may be all lenovo stuff).

Now I asked for the installation cds but for vista ultimate as they told me that now comes with some updates already done, but for send it they want the bill of purchase and asking me for a lot of things, that never asked before. They actually  know that the notebook is in warranty and I'm the same person because they cheeked all the history.

So after all more than a company in decadence I fill it is an abuse. And it is fasten loosing my confidence.

To speak a small concrete result, the work I could done in 2 days by my self is taking more than a week and I need someone else, definitely don't want to pay for the cost they reduce after being purchased the notebook.

It's a petty they obviously has been much better before I hope they keep going as before at least not reducing what we already bought, as they work for a main tool of others I wait for more responsibility in what they do.

Options

5 Posts

05-12-2009

San Diego, CA

17 Signins

135 Page Views

• Views: 135
  • Message 317 of 521

2009-05-12, 21:58 PM
I'll miss the service - it really set Lenovo/IBM/Think___s apart.
Options

1 Posts

05-13-2009

Canada

4 Signins

22 Page Views

• Views: 22
  • Message 318 of 521

ThinkVantage System Update

2009-05-13, 10:08 AM
I now know this has been cancelled, and am annoyed. It was the reason I bought my Z61p. I tried downloading and installing the message center, but it does not seem to be very useful. Any suggestions would be reatly appreciated.
Options

95 Posts

07-24-2008

Argentina

155 Signins

1346 Page Views

• Views: 1346
  • Message 319 of 521

Re: ThinkVantage System Update

2009-05-13, 17:45 PM

I wont miss it very long, I'm serching it somewhere else.

The reasons I bought lenovo has dissapared after buying it.

Now I realice it is not compatible with the seagate hdd I just bought.

So the only reason left for my choise is the keyboard... just not enough. I'm afraid it would suddenly blows up from the notebook

Options

25 Posts

11-26-2007

Silver Spring, MD, USA

138 Signins

841 Page Views

• Views: 841
  • Message 320 of 521

Re: ThinkVantage System Update

2009-05-13, 18:16 PM

This issue has now been written up on the InfoWorld Gripe Line

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms