04-10-2009

Online, USA

169 Signins

429 Page Views

• Views: 429
  • Message 511 of 521

Re: Changes to System Update and related tools - Please read

2009-06-03, 12:11 PM

I would imagine that some of the problems people are having with the server is that it probably very busy.  I've ran SU on a few computers in the past couple of days and any one random attempt to contact the server and download the package update will fail about 25% of the time.  If it doesn't go through the first time wait a little while and try it again.  I've also noticed that the updates (especially the download of the new SU) are reallly gosh-darn slow. 

This is actually good news.  This means that even though people are running the updates manually instead of automaticaly, they still are wanting to use TVSU and it is not just their computers set up by Lenovo to automatically over-tax their own  system. 

The whole TVSU issue was a matter of poor planning by Lenovo/IBM since the system was polling the update server much too often and over-using it. They should have looked at the Microsoft model for updates which is much better.  I don't have an issue with the way TVSU works other than how the automatic features of the scheduling seem to have been poorly thought out.

The way that Lenovo has set up the sytem seems to have fixed this so that the only people who will be using the system are the ones who really want it.

I just don't see why it took TWO MONTHS to do some very minor software tweaks.  To me it looks like they never intended to fix this until the last minute when they changed their minds and threw this last-minute "fix" into the wild. Good for the customers who complained and raised a stink because it looks like Lenovo wasn't going to do anything.  The "fix" looks like it is a temporary one.

I would like to see them add a GUI to TVSU so that anyone could adapt it easily to work with TVUR without having to do registry-level changes to make it work.  This would be simple as well.  Many people have small networks at home these days and dedicating a gig or two of space to a repository on one of their desktops isn't a big deal.  Setting up TVSU to actually use it and be pointed towards it besides the one on the Lenovo servers seems like a no-brainer to me.  

Options

171 Posts

12-17-2008

United States

162 Signins

1173 Page Views

• Views: 1173
  • Message 512 of 521

2009-06-04, 2:52 AM

Mark - i just want to say thanks for keeping us up to date!

wrote:

All,

For consistency, I'm reposting our official statement which many of you have already read on Matt's blog.  I'm glad that many have already read it, and I'm adding it here for the benefit of those who may more routinely participate in the forum. 

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

US

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 513 of 521

2009-06-04, 20:29 PM

PhilD,

Thank you and all our other customers for your support. 

All,

There has been a lot of interest in getting TVSU updated to formally support Vista SP2 and  Windows 7.   

Presently, there is a combined release planned for mid-August that will provide support for both.  

The development team is also evaluating the feasibility of delivering an update to support Vista SP2 on an accelerated schedule.  We should have some updates on this effort in the next two weeks. 

I understand the very rational arguments being made that we should have been ready with SP2 support, and I would just ask that this group be patient with us a bit longer on this.

Thanks,

Mark

Message Edited by Mark_Lenovo on 06-04-2009 01:31 PM
Options

14 Posts

05-13-2009

Canada

22 Signins

82 Page Views

• Views: 82
  • Message 514 of 521

2009-06-04, 21:51 PM
Mark, thanks for the update. Hopefully the development team is able to come up with something sooner than mid-August for Vista SP2 users, at least.
Options

27 Posts

08-09-2008

Germany

210 Signins

927 Page Views

• Views: 927
  • Message 515 of 521

2009-06-05, 9:53 AM

Dear Mark,

there are some things happening there I could probably never be able to understand. E. g., the so called Vista SP2 Problem.

Could you please be so kind to explain, how difficult it is, to update the file MappingInterface.xml located here: <DRIVE LETTER>:\Program Files\Lenovo\System Update\session\system\SSClientCommon with the following code in <OSs> space:

<OS>
                        <OSTVIA>VS-BUS.SP2</OSTVIA>
                        <OSeGatherer>
                                <Name>Vista Business</Name>
                                <ServiceRelease>Service Pack 2</ServiceRelease>
                        </OSeGatherer>
                        <OSQuest>Windows Vista</OSQuest>
                 </OS>

and than repeat it as many times there as many Vista versions are exist with correspondent names Vista Ultimate, Home and so on?! I am absolute NULL in programming, but even for me it was a CHILD WORK!

After these really MINOR changes the TVSU works with Vista SP2 without any issues.

I wonder how long should this changes take... Another bad joke from Lenovo's repertoir. I think they just want to show us a kind of revenge because we were able to force them to bring TVSU back. Another explanation just comes not in consideration.

Pfui.

ThinkPad 2912-3AG Win 7 Pro 64/ 4 GB RAM / 128 SSD
14,1" SXGA+ - The Last Possible NOTEBOOK Size :)
Options

546 Posts

01-22-2008

US

4061 Signins

22735 Page Views

• Views: 22735
  • Message 516 of 521

2009-06-05, 12:22 PM

I'll add on here. These are the lines needed to enable TVSU with  Vista Ultimate 32 bit SP2:

- <OS>
  <OSTVIA>VS-HOMEULT.SP2</OSTVIA>
- <OSeGatherer>
  <Name>Vista Home Ultimate</Name>
  <ServiceRelease>Service Pack 2</ServiceRelease>
  </OSeGatherer>
  <OSQuest>Windows Vista</OSQuest>
  </OS>

Is it really going to take until mid August to plug in some text? Can someone explain why. Heck, I'll volunteer to do it in return for my choice of 6 ThinkPads :smileyhappy:

Options

2029 Posts

12-02-2007

AU

9435 Signins

247288 Page Views

• Views: 247288
  • Message 517 of 521

2009-06-05, 13:20 PM

Galaxer wrote:

After these really MINOR changes the TVSU works with Vista SP2 without any issues

You are significantly misunderstanding the role of a system update tool. 

The tool not only needs to execute on a target operating system platform, but it also needs to make sure that only drivers/utilities etc which have been properly regression tested for that platform are offered for downloading.

Just editing the relevant XML file to allow the gatherer to be executed on Vista SP2 does not address the issue of the what the tool is able to do with the information from the gatherer to determine which downloadables have been tested for a Vista SP2 environment.

There are a few utilities which TVSU with just an edited XML file may offer to Vista SP2 users which will not yet install under Vista SP2 , so this it is definitley not a works with Vista SP2 without any issues matter by any means!

If you want to take the risk, its on your own recognisance.

Cheers,

Bill

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Options

546 Posts

01-22-2008

US

4061 Signins

22735 Page Views

• Message 518 of 521

2009-06-05, 13:46 PM

wrote:

wrote:

After these really MINOR changes the TVSU works with Vista SP2 without any issues

You are significantly misunderstanding the role of a system update tool. 

The tool not only needs to execute on a target operating system platform, but it also needs to make sure that only drivers/utilities etc which have been properly regression tested for that platform are offered for downloading.

Just editing the relevant XML file to allow the gatherer to be executed on Vista SP2 does not address the issue of the what the tool is able to do with the information from the gatherer to determine which downloadables have been tested for a Vista SP2 environment.

There are a few utilities which TVSU with just an edited XML file may offer to Vista SP2 users which will not yet install under Vista SP2 , so this it is definitley not a works with Vista SP2 without any issues matter by any means!

If you want to take the risk, its on your own recognisance.

Cheers,

Bill

In looking at the Matrix for my 6459-CTO located here:http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-67853 I don't see any qualifiers for any Service Pack, either 1 or 2. The only qualifiers are for 32 vs. 64 bit systems.

Am I to infer that you are saying I shouldn't manually download anything since nothing has been certified, qualified, etc for Vista SP2? Am I also to infer that the 7 updates TVSU fetched for me an hour ago on my Vista Ultimate 32 bit SP2 OS might be different from the drivers and downloads tabled in the Matrix? BTW, they're not. They also all installed correctly and successfully

And, can you please list specifically which "few utilities which TVSU with just an edited XML file may offer to Vista SP2 users which will not yet install under Vista SP2". If you are privy to that knowledge you should share it with the group.

Options

3213 Posts

12-22-2008

CA

12286 Signins

176953 Page Views

• Views: 176953
  • Message 519 of 521

2009-06-05, 13:51 PM

wrote:

And worse, if there are Vista SP2 issues with the stuff that TVSU downloads and tries unsuccessfuly to install, people will raise a hue and cry against Lenovo for not testing everything thoroughly enough. That would probably double the length of this already incredibly long thread. It seems Lenovo can't win in the eyes of some posters no matter what they do.

Using Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

546 Posts

01-22-2008

US

4061 Signins

22735 Page Views

• Message 520 of 521

2009-06-05, 14:36 PM

wrote:

And worse, if there are Vista SP2 issues with the stuff that TVSU downloads and tries unsuccessfuly to install, people will raise a hue and cry against Lenovo for not testing everything thoroughly enough. That would probably double the length of this already incredibly long thread. It seems Lenovo can't win in the eyes of some posters no matter what they do.

Well...they could have anticipated the uproar caused by discontinuing TVSU, not discontinued TVSU and began the qualification process for SP2 back when, oh let me see, Adobe, Corel, HP, Dell and the rest did. Just think. No 52 page discussion thread.  No disgruntled customers. No fleeing IT managers and consultants.

In terms of "Lenovo can't win", the abrogation of a trust relationship usually results in bruised feelings. It's going to take a long time for Lenovo to win back the trust of people like me who are responsible for the purchase and upkeep of widely disbursed systems. It's not a case of the home and small home office user breathing a sigh of relief over Lenovo's rude awakening. It's a question of can you trust a vendor who was so out of touch with their consumer base. It started with the infamous stereo mix removal and (I hope) it culminated here. Lenovo has not been listening to the market. That's a bad way to do business.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete