Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemPre-Installed Lenovo Software and Applications
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

04-06-2009

new york

2 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 71 of 521

System Update Service Suspended?

2009-04-06, 15:26 PM

I tried to use System Update 3.14 to solve a set of driver issues. I get a message - System Update is being updated and check back in May?

Is it true that the service was suspended before a replacement was put in place?

If this is the case I will reconsider my vendor options the time I purchase.

Options

36 Posts

03-26-2008

Lithuania

97 Signins

739 Page Views

• Views: 739
  • Message 72 of 521

Re: Changes to System Update and related tools - Please read

2009-04-06, 15:45 PM
I also would lie to add my opinion. I was recommended to buy Lenovo computer. First I had Lenovo 3000 N200. It wasn't very good computer, but there I really like service, simplicity, so after that I bought Lenovo SL500. It is much better. For now I was recommending for others to buy Lenovo (at least as I know, two of them bought for sure). Even without SU it is great and reliable machine, but much less comfortable - it reminds me Windows 98 times... You've just removed one of the key things which made customers to choose Lenovo. You can't just save on some things...

11 Posts

03-27-2009

Pittsburgh, PA

17 Signins

189 Page Views

• Views: 189
  • Message 73 of 521

2009-04-06, 15:52 PM

A lot of great posts on this!!!  I fall into the position of managing 900+ Lenovo machines and was not told that System Update was going down.  First I wish this was communicated better to the people that manage large environments, and those who are just users.  The channel reps did not notify us of this, or anyone that I deal with at Lenovo which is very shocking.  Yes there would of been a lot of complaints from my end but I could of better prepared for what to do now.

In light of this I hope that Lenovo works on creating a stronger more manageable update manager for users that manage large environments.  It was nice to run updates on one machine and walk away but when we are talking about 100's of machines this becomes impossible.  It would be fantastic if an update manager from Lenovo could be incorporated with an update retriever.  This would make it possible for companies with a lot of Lenovo products in the environment to download a repository of files and schedule updates from a centralized location.  Kind of like a WSUS server, and how updates are processd and approved and then sent out to users or other update managers.  For one this would save a lot of bandwith on our end and on Lenovo's end without having every computer constantly connecting to Lenovo's site for updates.

Right now searching for specific updates on the Lenovo support page is very tedious and not something I want to go through having models ranging from T41s to T400s and M51s to M58s there are a lot of updates out there!!

The interesting end of things is that Lenovo is constantly higher priced than other vendors I deal with and I have gone with IBM/Lenovo for their great product and software tools.  With companies cutting costs and staff, tools that cut time for the end user are a must.  I really hope that something positive comes out of this or I will be forced to look elsewhere and I am sure that this is the opinion of a lot of people.

Message Edited by Zman on 04-06-2009 09:00 AM
Message Edited by Zman on 04-06-2009 09:13 AM
Options

5018 Posts

12-22-2008

Canada

12945 Signins

191176 Page Views

• Views: 191176
  • Message 74 of 521

Re: System Update Service Suspended?

2009-04-06, 16:28 PM

wrote:

Is it true that the service was suspended before a replacement was put in place?

So it seems. You're still free to fend for yourself using the driver matrix for your model of ThinkPad, as tedious and error-prone as that may be. Good luck ;)

My comments are mine. I don't work for or speak for Lenovo.
Please do not send me PMs. Ask your question on this forum so that everyone can respond or learn.

Options

151 Posts

12-19-2008

Munich, Germany

401 Signins

2831 Page Views

• Views: 2831
  • Message 75 of 521

2009-04-06, 17:29 PM

Again, i suggest downloading the drivers once from the matrix,having them extracted to C: drivers, then copy this folder to your USB stick. Windows (at least vista) will find most, if not all drivers on a new install if you point it to your usb stick.

Please consider i am talking as a private user, i do understand how annoying this must be for corporate users or managers who have to update various machines. Although where i work they have one standard image to update, then just reimage the clients completely.

Also, consider Mark is the only active admin now, and he is merely a messenger. Do not be too upset with him, it is not his fault and i am sure he conveys the general disconsent to the people who actually are able to make decisions. 

Thinkpad T400 (Windows 7 Ultimate x64)
Options

27 Posts

08-09-2008

Germany

210 Signins

927 Page Views

• Views: 927
  • Message 76 of 521

2009-04-06, 17:59 PM

Nobody is upset with Mark personally. Nobody wants to hurt him personally, too. It is not his fault what the DWS Lenovo managers did in order to gain "new level of cost effectiveness" - only in their fantazies of course! We just want him to deliver our berserk fury on these people who are not even smart enough not to quarrel with their own bread and butter.

Mark! Please use the strongest quotes from this thread for your report! :smileymad:

Message Edited by Galaxer on 04-06-2009 08:16 PM
ThinkPad 2912-3AG Win 7 Pro 64/ 4 GB RAM / 128 SSD
14,1" SXGA+ - The Last Possible NOTEBOOK Size :)
Options

19 Posts

11-30-2007

Bay Area

120 Signins

1058 Page Views

• Views: 1058
  • Message 77 of 521

2009-04-06, 18:19 PM

i hope i don't need to go through the old process of select your product, now select your type, ahem, we need your model, oh now select your OS, hmm select this, select that for too long for updates. that's so 1990s.

system update was good, but could be better. it's too bad that it was discontinued with no proper replacement. almost seems ridiculous.... who's the brainiacs behind this nonsense?

Options

151 Posts

12-19-2008

Munich, Germany

401 Signins

2831 Page Views

• Views: 2831
  • Message 78 of 521

2009-04-06, 19:48 PM

Regarding the manual update issues:

To get RSS Updates go to: Driver Matrix T400

On the RIGHT there is a "Subscribe to RSS" field, select "Thinkpad" then your model (You only need to do this ONCE). Add to firefox or IE RSS feeds and you will have the latest updates in your webbrowser in chronological order.

If you see an update you want, click on the RSS item, it will bring you to the download website. NO need to input your type, model etc at all if you do it this way. 

Alternatively just bookmark the drivers matrix, it avoids the process as well.

My assumption with MSG center plus is, that it will be similar to the RSS feature, showing as a message when a driver for your system is available, then after a click leading you to the download website.

Again, i understand upset business admins, however for home users (as me for example) this is not as much of a big deal as it is made out to be. I think we should wait for the Message Center Plus replacement (fix the 64bit compatibility!), then complain, and for the time being use the existing methods. For reinstalls, again, keeping the driver folder on a USB stick is essential in any case, in my opinion. 

Thinkpad T400 (Windows 7 Ultimate x64)
Options

3 Posts

04-05-2009

New York, NY

8 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 79 of 521

2009-04-06, 20:01 PM

Firax, you most definitely do not speak for all home users. It is NOT acceptable to remove a key feature and convenience of the system. I shouldn't have to go anywhere outside of System Update to ensure I have the latest software, and fixes. Furthmore System Update keeps me in the loop about things that I already have installed and things that I chose not to install rather than having to guess from a download list or internally keep track of them.

I can firmly say that if System Update or a similar service is not reinstated my next laptop and the laptops of thousands of other formerly proud ThinkPad owners will not be a ThinkPad. There's a reason we buy thinkpads and the cohesion between the hardware and software was a main reason, similar to an Apple. There's a reason why people enjoy the saying "it just works". Up to now I could produly say that a "ThinkPad just worked", now we've been thrown to the wolves having to fend for ourselves and pick out our own drivers, constantly look up our model number and pray that the links work. This is not the experience that I paid a hefty premium for.

Options

2 Posts

04-06-2009

San Francisco, CA, USA

7 Signins

119 Page Views

• Views: 119
  • Message 80 of 521

2009-04-06, 21:19 PM

I can't agree with all the complaints about discontinuing ThinkVantage System Update service (and registered just to say so).

First,  TVSU seldom worked.  TVSU would claim that all my drivers were fully updated, but going to Microsoft Update would offer me the driver I needed to fix a problem (and the driver on Microsoft Update would have been available there for months).  An "Update Service" that doesn't work is worse than nothing.

Second, TVSU was/is such an incredilble resource hog, and unrealistically slow.  You could set aside an hour for it to go through its precious routine of checking whether Update itself was current, updating itself, then starting on the real update search, to end up offering some product.  (And, as noted above, missing the real updates you needed.)  Lenovo clearly doesn't have the amount or quality of programming resources to do a good job on these system utilities.

Third, lift your heads and look a few months ahead.  Lenovo will be shipping ThinkPads with Windows7 installed, and Windows7 will continue the process of Microsoft's including superior utilities right in the OS.  For most of the ThinkVantage programs, I've had nothing but trouble from the Lenovo offerings interfering with the Windows offerings.  ThinkVantage utilities might have been a competitive advantage a few years ago, but by now they are a negative.

Fourth, the requirement to create new versions and documentation of all the ThinkVantage utilities just slows down Lenovo's ability to get new models tested and shipped promptly.  I would MUCH rather have all of Lenovo's programmers working on better quality drivers for Lenovo's own hardware and on testing (activities that have to be done by Lenovo), and leave the system utilities to the OS vendor and to third parties. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms