Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemPre-Installed Lenovo Software and Applications
All Forum Topics
Options

15 Posts

03-22-2009

Cambridge, England

671 Signins

2210 Page Views

• Views: 2210
  • Message 1 of 2

F3507g GPS not working after sleep/resume Windows 7

2010-07-04, 14:28 PM

Under Windows 7 on ThinkPads with the F3507g Mobile Broadband Connection, there have been two long-standing problems:

• (a) after sleep/resume, the F3507g (Wireless WAN) disappears from the Fn+F5 menu;
  • (b) after sleep/resume, ThinkVantage GPS does not work (forever displays Fix Type: N/A).

By searching these forums, you can find past threads about these problems, none with a reproducible resolution.

I am pleased to say that the latest driver update for the F3507g (v6.1.10.5  7UW708WW) appears to ameliorate problem (a) in that the F3507g Wireless WAN eventually re-appears in the Fn+F5 menu if you give it a few tens of seconds after a resume.  This update is available from:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-73681

However, the non-working GPS after sleep/resume is still not solved.  Even though the "Wireless WAN" card is present and shown powered-on in the Fn+F5 menu, ThinkVantage GPS (2.60) is stuck on Fix Type: N/A, and the Windows 7 Weather gadget does not automatically discover the location.  Both applications work fine after a full Windows restart, but not after a sleep/resume.

I have, however, discovered a work-around which restores GPS operation without a full restart:

• Open Device Manager;
  • Expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers";
  • Right-click "F3507g Mobile Broadband Device" and select "Disable";
  • Wait for the system to settle down again;
  • Right-click "F3507g Mobile Broadband Device" and select "Enable";
  • Wait for the system to settle down again.

Now you can press Start in ThinkVantage GPS, and Fix Type will quickly change from "N/A" to "No Fix", and then onward to satellite discovery.  And after a few false starts, the Windows 7 Weather gadget will discover the location.

The fact that this work-around restores GPS operation indicates that the underlying fault is a driver software issue.

The above symtoms and work-around have been verified on both a ThinkPad X301 and a ThinkPad T400s.  Neither have ThinkVantage Access Connections installed.  The X301, when previously running under Vista with the previous generation of drivers, did not display these symptoms: the symptoms appeared with the upgrade to Windows 7.

Options

56 Posts

04-18-2010

Canada

84 Signins

1847 Page Views

• Views: 1847
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: F3507g GPS not working after sleep/resume Windows 7

2011-02-25, 18:09 PM

Actually mine works fine after applying all the updates available on T400 w/ Windows 7 Pro 64bit. I can sleep/shutdown as much as I want and the GPS works.

By the way, you have to goto your bios to reset your settings to default by pressing F9. Maybe you should try this and see if that solves your problem.

The only GPS related issue that is not fixed is the issue of dual booting into linux. I dual boot into linux, and when that happens the GPS problem re-occurs once I log back into windows. The only way for me to fix the problem again at that point, is if I go back into the bios and hit F9 again, then re-enter windows.

If I were to stay in a windows environment indefiniately, there is no problem. The problem is once I enter Linux, the problem in windows will occur again (maybe the powerstate settings by the linux kernal messes up the settings on the card).

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms