Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemPre-Installed Lenovo Software and Applications
All Forum Topics
Options

24 Posts

04-16-2008

USA

46 Signins

195 Page Views

• Views: 195
  • Message 1 of 11

Lenovo System Update causing system issues

2015-02-27, 14:34 PM

I'm not sure how long this has been going on, but it seems that System Update is causing a few issues.

The first that is certainly an issue is that when I try to restart my computer, I get a message that System Update is installing Updates and I shouldn't restart.   I can wait hours and will still get this message.

I'm also thinking this is causing my computer to not go to sleep as I have it set to sleep after a few hours.

I have System Update set to Notify me when updates are available but do not download or install, so I'm not sure what is happening.

I'm running Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64-bit

Any ideas?

I can't seem to find where this process resides to delete/kill

Options

5067 Posts

11-22-2011

United States of America

5783 Signins

89698 Page Views

• Views: 89698
  • Message 2 of 11

Re: Lenovo System Update causing system issues

2015-02-27, 21:59 PM

What is your machine type and model?

What version of System update are you running?

You state: I have System Update set to Notify me when updates are available .......

This option is the "schedule updates" selection on the SU primary panel.

This would be a monthly launch of Su on  a certain day.

The launch entry is in windows task scheduler, folder TVT, entry   TVSUUpdate task.

Please state your Launch date and state if issues are occuring ONLY on launch date vs a manual run of  SU.

You can easily disable the monthly SU  "check for ..." by unchecking the monthly SU run in the SU panel and see if your shutdown quits hanging.

You state:

I'm running Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64-bit

Is this a work computer using a windows Enterprise license that the company owns or a machine you acquired via company sells older machines to employees, or similar? 

==

I set my Su scheduled monthly run to the same parms as yours, notify dont install.

I got the SU notification in the task bar. I did not click the notify icon and rebooted just fine.

Do you recall manually running SU, then hang at shutdown time?

I suspect you ran SU manually (or clicked the notify icon) and a conflict with a driver install.... SU driver is lower level then current driver, would you like to install the lower level driver, reply yes or no.  Did you every see any screens like this on your machine? 

Options

24 Posts

04-16-2008

USA

46 Signins

195 Page Views

• Message 3 of 11

2015-02-28, 17:44 PM

Hi

wrote:

What is your machine type and model?  Lenovo ThinkPad X230

What version of System update are you running? 5.06.0027

You state: I have System Update set to Notify me when updates are available .......

This option is the "schedule updates" selection on the SU primary panel.

This would be a monthly launch of Su on  a certain day.

The launch entry is in windows task scheduler, folder TVT, entry   TVSUUpdate task.

Please state your Launch date and state if issues are occuring ONLY on launch date vs a manual run of  SU.

You can easily disable the monthly SU  "check for ..." by unchecking the monthly SU run in the SU panel and see if your shutdown quits hanging.   It states the 6th but it seems it installing updates at other times.  I'm not sure why else I'd be getting the error message that Lenovo update is trying to install updates.

You state:

I'm running Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64-bit

Is this a work computer using a windows Enterprise license that the company owns or a machine you acquired via company sells older machines to employees, or similar?    Company owned machine

==

I set my Su scheduled monthly run to the same parms as yours, notify dont install.

I got the SU notification in the task bar. I did not click the notify icon and rebooted just fine.

Do you recall manually running SU, then hang at shutdown time?  Possibly - I have searched for updates and found some, have them installed and then reboot, but it shows all have successfully installed

I suspect you ran SU manually (or clicked the notify icon) and a conflict with a driver install.... SU driver is lower level then current driver, would you like to install the lower level driver, reply yes or no.  Did you every see any screens like this on your machine?    Never saw anything like this

Options

5067 Posts

11-22-2011

United States of America

5783 Signins

89698 Page Views

• Message 4 of 11

2015-02-28, 23:24 PM

I need the specific model number of the x230 so I can locate the Lenovo server catalog to see what updates are listed for your machine. For certain machines running windows 8.1, Lenovo might offer very small updates, ie only 1 driver.

How long have you used your machine, from work? a month, many months? (ie, did the machine have the hang condition and it got past to you, ie another user a work used the machine beforehand). I understand the Hang at shut down and possible side effect on sleep mode.  What I dont know is how long this hang at shutdown has been occurring and how often you  see it occurring.

Your SU version is current.  It should have self  updated early Feb 2015.

==

Windows task scheduler:

(1) The monthly checkup runs on your machine on the 6th of the month at sometime of day.

If your machine is turned off, windows task scheduler, on the next boot, might run the task then, or maybe 12 hours after boot.

(2) In task scheduler, locate folder TVT, with the TVsu... run entry. 

Click this entry.  Slide the scroll bar to the right, you will see last run time, next run time.   

(3)You can also right click this entry, and disable the task.  For now, disable it.  

(4)For the next several weeks, I want you to manually run the task and monitor what happens,

Enable the task, right click run now. Then disable it again.

Check the task bar for a ICON. Probably a up arrow.. You may had to click the ICON to  customize. the ICON.

After the ICON is customized, you decide if you want to click it.

If you click it SU will run.

(5) see what happens. Maybe try 15 minutes later to reboot and see if it hangs. 

All we are doing here is letting you run the monthly task at your convenience to montior the activity.

If SU indeed did launch itself for the monthly run, and you clicked the icon to RUN/install now,   It might have been doing it's thing when your decided to reboot. -or- if you manually ran SU to install, and rebooted during the process, same shutdown issue.

==

Down the road, I might need your SU run logs to see exactly what dates SU was installing updates.

These logs are located in C\programdata\lenovo\systemupdate\logs...

subentry tvsu_*timestamp*.log.

Options

24 Posts

04-16-2008

USA

46 Signins

195 Page Views

• Message 5 of 11

2015-03-01, 10:05 AM

wrote:

I need the specific model number of the x230 so I can locate the Lenovo server catalog to see what updates are listed for your machine. For certain machines running windows 8.1, Lenovo might offer very small updates, ie only 1 driver.  2325QT2

How long have you used your machine, from work? a month, many months? (ie, did the machine have the hang condition and it got past to you, ie another user a work used the machine beforehand). I understand the Hang at shut down and possible side effect on sleep mode.  What I dont know is how long this hang at shutdown has been occurring and how often you  see it occurring.  I've been using this for work for the past 22 months.  It's only been doing this the last few weeks.

==

Windows task scheduler:

(1) The monthly checkup runs on your machine on the 6th of the month at sometime of day.

If your machine is turned off, windows task scheduler, on the next boot, might run the task then, or maybe 12 hours after boot.

Click this entry.  Slide the scroll bar to the right, you will see last run time, next run time.   It actually stated it was never run before!   Next run listed for March 6

(3)You can also right click this entry, and disable the task.  For now, disable it.   Done

(4)For the next several weeks, I want you to manually run the task and monitor what happens,

Enable the task, right click run now. Then disable it again.  Ran it and it completed sucessfully, then disabled

Check the task bar for a ICON. Probably a up arrow.. You may had to click the ICON to  customize. the ICON.

(5) see what happens. Maybe try 15 minutes later to reboot and see if it hangs.  Rebooted and same issue.  Essentially it goes to the blue Windows restarting screen and then I get a message that says "Closing 1 app and Restarting" Lenovo Settings - Lenovo Setting updates are being installed.  Do not resart."   I let is sit this way for a while and still came up with same message.  I think I'm going to try to uninstall Lenovo settings and reinstall and see what happens.

All we are doing here is letting you run the monthly task at your convenience to montior the activity.

If SU indeed did launch itself for the monthly run, and you clicked the icon to RUN/install now,   It might have been doing it's thing when your decided to reboot. -or- if you manually ran SU to install, and rebooted during the process, same shutdown issue.

==

Down the road, I might need your SU run logs to see exactly what dates SU was installing updates.

Options

24 Posts

04-16-2008

USA

46 Signins

195 Page Views

• Message 6 of 11

2015-03-01, 10:09 AM

wrote:

wrote:

I need the specific model number of the x230 so I can locate the Lenovo server catalog to see what updates are listed for your machine. For certain machines running windows 8.1, Lenovo might offer very small updates, ie only 1 driver.  2325QT2

How long have you used your machine, from work? a month, many months? (ie, did the machine have the hang condition and it got past to you, ie another user a work used the machine beforehand). I understand the Hang at shut down and possible side effect on sleep mode.  What I dont know is how long this hang at shutdown has been occurring and how often you  see it occurring.  I've been using this for work for the past 22 months.  It's only been doing this the last few weeks.

==

Windows task scheduler:

Click this entry.  Slide the scroll bar to the right, you will see last run time, next run time.   It actually stated it was never run before!   Next run listed for March 6

(3)You can also right click this entry, and disable the task.  For now, disable it.   Done

Enable the task, right click run now. Then disable it again.  Ran it and it completed sucessfully, then disabled

(5) see what happens. Maybe try 15 minutes later to reboot and see if it hangs.  Rebooted and same issue.  Essentially it goes to the blue Windows restarting screen and then I get a message that says "Closing 1 app and Restarting" Lenovo Settings - Lenovo Setting updates are being installed.  Do not resart."   I let is sit this way for a while and still came up with same message.  I think I'm going to try to uninstall Lenovo settings and reinstall and see what happens.

==

Interesting - I'm actually thinking this is a problem with the "Lenovo Settings" app, not the update app.  I just went to install this app which I removed a while back and when I launched it, it told me I need to download a dependency package. I'm going to do all that and see if this solves the issues.

Options

24 Posts

04-16-2008

USA

46 Signins

195 Page Views

• Message 7 of 11

2015-03-01, 12:09 PM

So it actually seems that it is getting stuck on the Lenovo Settings - Installing Updates.  I rebooted, launched Lenovo Settings and as soon as it opened it said it needed to install updates...It's been saying "Automatic Updates - Installing Updates Please Wait" for nearly 2 hours...not sure how I can kill this or get it to reset.  Any ideas?

Options

5067 Posts

11-22-2011

United States of America

5783 Signins

89698 Page Views

• Message 8 of 11

2015-03-01, 15:30 PM

observations:

Su offered self upate to latest release on Feb 5,2015.  If you ran SU on Feb 6,2015, it would self update  and the task scheduler entry would run on the 6th of the month.

Checking the Lenovo server catalogs for a 2325, I find entries for win7 and win 8, but NOT win 8.1

https://download.lenovo.com/catalog//2325_Win7.xml

https://download.lenovo.com/catalog//2325_Win8.xml

https://download.lenovo.com/catalog//2325_Win8.1.xml

What operating system did your machine have loaded on the x230 when purchased?

From what I see, your machine running win 8.1 does NOT have SU support.

Check your SU run log for a entry similar to:

Message: Catalog file server path = https://download.lenovo.com/catalog//9702_Win7.xml,

-or- post your SU run log and I will review it. Did this catalog page(url) get a 404 page not found? If so, this confirms you have NO su support on your machine.

==

I would speculate Lenovo setttings package may be your  vehicle for win 8.1 updates on your machine.

Let's confirm you have no Su support on your win 8.1.  

Options

24 Posts

04-16-2008

USA

46 Signins

195 Page Views

• Message 9 of 11

2015-03-02, 12:00 PM

wrote:

observations:

Su offered self upate to latest release on Feb 5,2015.  If you ran SU on Feb 6,2015, it would self update  and the task scheduler entry would run on the 6th of the month.

Checking the Lenovo server catalogs for a 2325, I find entries for win7 and win 8, but NOT win 8.1

https://download.lenovo.com/catalog//2325_Win7.xml

https://download.lenovo.com/catalog//2325_Win8.xml

https://download.lenovo.com/catalog//2325_Win8.1.xml

What operating system did your machine have loaded on the x230 when purchased?

From what I see, your machine running win 8.1 does NOT have SU support.

Check your SU run log for a entry similar to:

Message: Catalog file server path = https://download.lenovo.com/catalog//9702_Win7.xml,

-or- post your SU run log and I will review it. Did this catalog page(url) get a 404 page not found? If so, this confirms you have NO su support on your machine.

==

I would speculate Lenovo setttings package may be your  vehicle for win 8.1 updates on your machine.

Let's confirm you have no Su support on your win 8.1.  

OK - you lost me a bit...so if it is the Lenovo settings that is giving me updates, why is it still taking hours?  It still is saying that is in installing updates 24 hours later.  It must be stuck on something.

When I received the machine, it had Windows 8 Enterprise installed and since it's been upgraded to 8.1 (although it has been wiped and re-imaged)

Where am I looking for those logs?

Thanks

Jon

Options

5067 Posts

11-22-2011

United States of America

5783 Signins

89698 Page Views

• Message 10 of 11

2015-03-02, 14:29 PM

The logs are located in C\programdata\lenovo\systemupdate\logs...

It appears the Lenovo settings app is offering the updates?? I do not have win 8.1.  Maybe a win 8.1 user can give you a better response.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms