Options

1 Posts

11-26-2009

Irvine, CA

4 Signins

23 Page Views

• Views: 23
  • Message 51 of 78

Re: Lenovo ThinkVantage Toolbox (diagnostics)

2009-11-27, 5:43 AM

I installed Avira Antivirus and did a full system scan.  Unfortunately, the ThinkVantage Toolbox still says that Antivirus is disabled.  I'm sure that Antivirus is enabled, but the Toolbox doesn't recognize it.  Is this a problem with Avira or the Toolbox?

DC

Options

9 Posts

11-25-2009

US

48 Signins

122 Page Views

• Views: 122
  • Message 52 of 78

2009-11-27, 18:02 PM

In my tests, LTT does not recognize Microsoft Security Essentials either.

Also, it complains I'm not making  backups just because it assumes I would use the lame Lenovo backup system instead of a good one.

And it keeps reminding of the many Lenovo products/accessories/add-ons we should buy. The so-called "tool" is just poorly-disguised advertising....

And talk about S-L-O-W.....

Options

1 Posts

11-28-2009

USA

5 Signins

27 Page Views

• Views: 27
  • Message 53 of 78

2009-11-28, 4:43 AM

I'm running windows XP sp3 and I've decided to stick with Lenovo thinkvantage toolbox despite the many flaws that were pointed out here.  However, I would like it to replace the "Thinkvantage Productivity Center" that appears when I hit the thinkvantage button and this isn't happening.  How can I fix this behavior?

Options

289 Posts

02-04-2009

Portugal

865 Signins

7574 Page Views

• Views: 7574
  • Message 54 of 78

2009-11-28, 10:40 AM

wrote:

I'm running windows XP sp3 and I've decided to stick with Lenovo thinkvantage toolbox despite the many flaws that were pointed out here.  However, I would like it to replace the "Thinkvantage Productivity Center" that appears when I hit the thinkvantage button and this isn't happening.  How can I fix this behavior?

That's a good question, Illinoisjoe. That would be just great.

Actually, I'm getting bald of begging for help on how to repair or reinstall ThinkVantage Productivity Center with no success, whatsoever.

I dare to put the question here, one more time: My ThinkVantage Productivity Center is not working properly. Is there a way for me to have it repaired or reinstalled, and how?

Or maybe I should be asking another question: Is the Lenovo ThinkVantage Toolbox meant to replace the Productivity Center at all?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks and regards.

T61p; Vista Home Premium; NIS 2010; Mozilla Firefox 3.5.5

Options

5 Posts

11-30-2009

New York

10 Signins

116 Page Views

• Views: 116
  • Message 55 of 78

2009-11-30, 15:19 PM

Lenovo ThinkVantage Toolbox is always locked out user account in AD. Our company is set Screen Saver in AD. and local pc does not have option to turn on or turn off (Just Gray out) Screen Saver is set in AD for 30 mins to lock out the screen. So far, does any solution to resolve this problem. Please suggest. Thanks

Options

5 Posts

11-30-2009

New York

10 Signins

116 Page Views

• Views: 116
  • Message 56 of 78

2009-11-30, 16:03 PM

I called Lenovo Support Center. I was told that it is well known issue and Lenovo currently is working to resolve the locked out user account in AD issue. A suggestion from support is to uninstall the software.

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

US

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 57 of 78

2009-12-01, 22:47 PM

All,

As dvanaman indicated, updates for the both 32 bit and 64 bit updates / patches are available which should resolve the network lock out issues.   They are available for download here:

32 Bit version update

64 Bit version update

We have also updated the version of Lenovo ThinkVantage Toolbox on Lenovo's website to version 31 which incorporates these updates to ensure that future customers who download and install LTT should not experience these same lockout issue. 

I really appreciate all the great feedback here, especially from our IT oriented customers who run managed environments, and also from individuals like Codedude and vbap who have shared their thoughts on the value they see in the tool and ways we can continue to work with PC Doctor to improve the overall value.

I'll also note that it is a unique opportunity here in the forum to work directly with a technology partner like PC Doctor to engage our mutual customers directly and hope that this collaboration will continue, and that our customes will continue to provide constructive feedback.  

Best regards,

Mark

Options

15 Posts

07-11-2008

Melbourne, Australia

16 Signins

146 Page Views

• Views: 146
  • Message 58 of 78

2009-12-01, 23:02 PM

I downloaded and installed v31.

The Toolbox will no longer "stick" to the toolbar (Windows 7). It appears as an option when I right-click the toolbar and choose Toolbars, but nothing happens when I select it (and it remains unticked).

I installed it over the top of the existing version (ie did not uninstall first).

(I was hoping the update would be delivered as a "Lenovo Support Message", so I could try that function out - guess not ! )

On another note, the Drive Space Manager tool (view by folder) is amazing. I have seen other tools like this but never used one. But it is included here and is quite useful. I (easily) discovered some old outlook pst files that were chewing up 3gb - I moved them to my home server and freed up the space.

Options

19 Posts

11-26-2009

US

255 Signins

1014 Page Views

• Views: 1014
  • Message 59 of 78

2009-12-02, 15:35 PM

If this was a Diagnostics tool, that they user invoked when needed, this tool would show promise.  Like everyone else, it complains that I haven't done back-ups, even though I have done a full backup with Vista's backup program.  there are other bugs, but they could be worked out.

But since it autoloads, and it isn't clear how to remove it, this program is more like a Virus, than like a useful tool.  Think about it:

- It Autoloads on start-up even though I didn't ask it to.

- It is not readily apparent how to not get it to auto load.

- It auto-updates by default.

- It sends you advertising on a regular basis.

Lenovo, we need good hardware that isn't weighted down with utilities that duplicate functionality in the OS.  The customer should be able select additional tools IF THEY WANT.  Spending hours taking crap off a machine is infuriating.

After wasting about 2 hours on this tool, I unistalled it.  While I was pissed off, I went through and tried to turn off other Thinkpad utilites that I don't use.  Many like Messege Center would reappear after turning it off.  I finally uninstalled over half the Thinkpad utilites.  The laptop is faster now, and I am not getting nagged about things that aren't really issues.

Lenovo, quit installing these Virus-like utilities on our Laptops.

Options

289 Posts

02-04-2009

Portugal

865 Signins

7574 Page Views

• Views: 7574
  • Message 60 of 78

2009-12-02, 15:57 PM

Mark,

You have provided me with great help in the past, and I will not easily forget that. I hope you could give me an answer for two simple questions I have been asking but have not got a response, so far.

1 - Is the Tool Box in any way meant to replace PC-Doctor 5 for Windows? PC-Doctor all but disappeared from my computer after the Lenovo-offered download and installation of LTB. In some respects I like PC-Doctor better and wonder if I could keep using both in the same computer. Personaly, I did not encounter any incompatibilities, so far.

2 - I have been experiencing a problem with ThinkVantage Productivity Center: This utility seems to be working fine except for its tag "Welcome". Since a couple of weeks ago, whenever I open TPC and click on the "Welcome" tag, a box pops up with this phrase:  "TVTMsg: This application requires Macromedia Flash Player 7 or newer."  Nothing else. And the only option provided is to click "OK". After clicking "OK" the box disappears and nothing happens.

Now, I have Adobe Flash Player 10 installed in my system and I assume it would be the same as Macromedia Flash Player, wouldn't it?

It is also strange to me that all other TPC tags but this one seem to be working perfectly fine. And this is a fairly recent issue, since I have used all these tags in the past with no issue of any kind.  I uninstalled and reinstalled TPC but nothing changed.

Do you (or anyone else in this forum) have any idea of what may be behind this recent problem with TPC and kindly show me a simple answer for the two questions above?

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Lin You

ThinkPad T61p  --  Vista Home Premium  32 --  Mozilla Firefox  --  NIS2010  

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete