Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Software and Operating SystemPre-Installed Lenovo Software and Applications
All Forum Topics
Options

13 Posts

11-12-2016

Hungary

45 Signins

483 Page Views

• Views: 483
  • Message 31 of 63

Re: Lenovo Vantage constantly resets power settings

2019-02-02, 8:53 AM

wrote:

@djnemeth,

When you enable chargtheshold in vantage, close vantage and open, is it still enabled?

What if you reset the vantage in All Settings->Application?

And please check if tools below is working for your machine.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Vantage-Knowledge-Base/Q-amp-A-setting-a-ThinkPad-battery-charge-threshold-by-script/ta-p/4345631

If not, then some drivers are not correctly installed in your system.

EDIT: this is outdated, see #28.

After enabling threshold in Vantage, closing and reopening it, the setting appears as disabled. This also happens if I leave Vantage open, after ca. 20 seconds it gets disabled automatically. Independently of what I can see in Vantage, after setting a threshold it's actually in effect (i.e. the battery is not charging) until a system reboot. Then battery starts charging again.

Resetting Vantage did not help.

I tried the command line tool you suggested. See the interaction below:

D:\>ChargeThreshold on 80
Charge threshold is turned ON for Battery #1.
Charge threshold is turned ON for Battery #2.
Charge threshold for Battery #1: OFF.
Charge threshold for Battery #2: OFF.

Running ChargeThreshold off starts charging the battery. Then running ChargeThreshold on 80 stops charging, but the output still displays that thresholds are off.

Options

13 Posts

11-12-2016

Hungary

45 Signins

483 Page Views

• Message 32 of 63

2019-02-02, 9:13 AM

wrote:

wrote:

They provided me with a fix for this and now setting the Charge Threshold is working!!

I asked them to post it here, so you can give it a try.

Here is the information which I previously provided to userXt privately:

Please download this and unzip:  https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApXWjQB7_a1bhfxnu8_lt314CuJqXA

Then double-click on the EXE, wait for success message, and reboot the system.  We found a bug where the Lenovo Power Manager driver installer doesn't set the correct registry permissions on some EU versions of Win10.  This tool should fix the permissions.

Success! Running this indeed fixed setting the charge threshold both in the command-line tool and in Vantage. The threshold displays correctly and is actually in effect, even after a system reboot. A really interesting bug for sure, and I'm happy that it's finally caught.

Sorry for my previous posts, I really should have read the entire thread before starting to write replies.

I still have one request though. I still can't disable 30 Day Standby. Could this be another instance of the same issue?

Options

7251 Posts

10-29-2009

United States of America

17923 Signins

168505 Page Views

• Views: 168505
  • Message 33 of 63

2019-02-04, 14:34 PM

wrote:

I still have one request though. I still can't disable 30 Day Standby. Could this be another instance of the same issue?

We confirmed that it's the same issue.  We'll make another version of the tool to fix it, hopefully later this week.

Answer
Options

7251 Posts

10-29-2009

United States of America

17923 Signins

168505 Page Views

• Views: 168505
  • Message 34 of 63

2019-02-05, 13:31 PM

Please try this version of the tool:  https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApXWjQB7_a1bhfxpTj0V7T52H2OY1Q

Just unzip and run the EXE.  Any questions let me know.

1 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

13 Posts

11-12-2016

Hungary

45 Signins

483 Page Views

• Message 35 of 63

2019-02-07, 8:31 AM

wrote:

Please try this version of the tool:  https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApXWjQB7_a1bhfxpTj0V7T52H2OY1Q

Just unzip and run the EXE.  Any questions let me know.

Now all power settings work correctly! I find it remarkable that on this forum not only do you connect users and developers, but also offer hotfixes based on the received feedback. Thank you for your help and keep up the good work!

Options

3 Posts

09-07-2018

Germany

8 Signins

41 Page Views

• Views: 41
  • Message 36 of 63

2019-02-19, 9:44 AM
This IMMEDIATELY worked for my E480, too. Thanks so much! I was desperate =)
Options

3 Posts

08-22-2019

United States of America

7 Signins

82 Page Views

• Views: 82
  • Message 37 of 63

2019-09-18, 23:07 PM

Hello I am using a X270 and I am having similar issues, I've now applied both registry fixes and still no joy.  Everytime I reboot 'Optimize system for' changes to  from Cool Mode to 'High Performance' after every reboot.  What else can I try to force cool mode to be used always.  The change persist if I close and reopen the app but not after a reboot.

This is my first Thinkpad and I have to say I really like it but the fan noise and challenges with cooling are a bit rediculous esspecially wit all the work put into it at this point... I've done the following and now this bug has me stumped, as it could be responsible for much my compaints.  Was the Vantage app ever updated to includes these fixes that were provided from this thread?

Any help would be appreciative.  I've optimized everything I can think of to keep the fans off as much as possible and the system cool.

- Disable turbo boost

- Balanced performance slide (midway position)

- Passive cooling for both AC and Battery

- All BiOS changes were made to favor cooling / less fan noise as the cost of performance

- Repasted with PK-3

- Using TPFancontrol (balanced profile, with the stuck pwr sensor disabled (using CPU temp only)))

My idle temps are still mid 50s.  And fans roar with 20% CPU load, is esspecially worse when plugged in. 

Thanks!

Options

2 Posts

11-12-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 5
  • Message 38 of 63

Re:Lenovo Vantage constantly resets power settings

2020-11-12, 10:56 AM

Incredibly (or maybe more unexpectedly, unexpectedly), one year later the problem is still there!

T480 on Windows 10. Everything up to date.

Options

2 Posts

11-12-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Message 39 of 63

2020-11-12, 11:02 AM
After one hr of fiddling, reading this forum and trying I discovered the threshold setting stays on only if you enable it form the vantage taskbar.
Options

1 Posts

11-13-2020

Germany

8 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 40 of 63

2020-11-13, 10:24 AM

Hi everybody,

I just would like to update a little bite this forum and take the opportunity to thanks Lenovo team for their nice support.

My Lenovo is a Thinkpad E14 that I bought in Germany in March this year (Win10 in German originally, but I installed english language since the very beginning) and battery charge threshold was working without any issue . About 3 days ago, I decided to format my laptop, then I got this resseting problem. After searching about how to fix this problem, the only solution worked was the one posted in this forum by @someotherguy on 2019-02-05. However, as @bruciafili mentioned, it only works if you activate the battery charge threshold from the vantage taskbar. Otherwise, if you try to activate this option directly on the Lenovo Vantage app the battery charge threshold will keep reseting after 20 - 30 seconds after its activation. Despite this small detail, I feel happy that the battery charge threshold working again.

Regards.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms